How to confirm the ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application?

Sambasi

Involved - Posts
How to confirm the ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application (clause 7.6) in“shoe-last” manufacturing or similar situations?

“Shoe last” is a foot model / mould made of (wood or) plastic having dimensions and shape similar to the anatomical foot. This provides a working surface to mount shoe components during shoe manufacture.

CAD / CAM is used to manufacture “shoe-last”.

The "shoe-last" manufacturing process involves (i)) digitalizing of an existing physical “shoe-last” using a 3-D scanner (ii)) Using the input from scanner,CAD to produce a computer model of “shoe-last” (iii)Using output data from CAD system to CAM (numerically controlled lathe/milling machine) to produce “shoe-last” from blocks of plastic.

A “shoe-last” is free form object and composed of free form surface rather than basic geometric shapes. The question is how to confirm the ability of computer software (digitalizing software, CAD software and CAM software) to satisfy such type of intended applications? I anticipate some issues in this area from auditors since the dimensions of final product are controlled by the software.

I am quite new to application of software in such manufacturing processes. I greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

Martijn

I believe your reference to 7.6 might be incorrect, if i understand your description correctly. IMHO your software is part of the production process and is not used as a monitoring and measuring device. 6.3b might be more applicable. All it says there is that the required infrastructure needs to be decided on, be there and be in good shape.

If you want to have something on paper, i'd suggest you write down what the requirements are for the software you use (needs to be able to manufacture shoe-last by doing the following things... and then check your current software with these requirements.).

We use some homemade software ourselves, and we dont have any proof that it suits the requirements, other than the fact that it does what it's meant to do. I'm not planning on "creating proof" either.

I believe that an auditor will not ask for "proof that it fits the requirements". It seems a bit theoretical to me. He might ask better questions, like how do you make sure software updates do not mess up your production and things like that.

Sambasi

Involved - Posts
Thanks for your reply and correcting me.

Your reply from The Netherlands takes me backward several years when, as a tourist, I had visited your country and visited a wooden-shoe hand carving factory during a conducted tour.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
D How to identify and confirm that the developed device fall under Israel electro medical device category Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D How to identify and confirm that the developed device fall under Israel electro medical device category Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
N Second Registrar Visit to Confirm Major Nonconformances Fixed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G How to confirm if the Solder used contains Silver? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
N Moisture Analyzer Out of Calibration - Easy Way to Confirm Everything Ok? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L How to confirm the class of medical device is correct? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Who can confirm the 21 mandatory records (clauses) as required by ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V MINITAB and non-normal unilateral tolerance data - Cannot confirm Ppk values Using Minitab Software 15
D Control charts - Seeking known data set to confirm my software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q The ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L How to demonstrate one's ability in an interview Career and Occupation Discussions 8
T Losing faith in ability to succeed Career and Occupation Discussions 14
Claes Gefvenberg Reading ability - The prospective auditor could not read Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 25
P Definition Positive (Immediate) Recall - The ability to trace items forward and backward Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
D FDA Guidance on Computer Software Assurance versus 21 CFR Part 11 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Computer System Validation of Bioinformatics Pipeline Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Implanted Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) Devices for Patients with Paralysis or Amputation – Non-clinical Testing and Clinical Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F EMC testing for a system that is provided with a computer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Use of password managers on validated computer systems (21 CFR Part 11) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
L How to classify this computer-alike IT device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
U CE Marking of Customized Ruggedised Computer Systems Solutions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Q ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Computer Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Computer stations unlocked - Office Stations vs Production Stations Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
howste ASQ is Transitioning to Computer Based Exams ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
R Network/Computer Data Migration Sampling GMP Software Quality Assurance 1
E Computer System Validation - Migrating to SAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D SDS (MSDS) for complex products such as a TV, computer, cars, etc Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
N Computer System Access and Security Procedure example wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Strategy to allow for OTS computer use as part of a Medical Equipment System EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Validation of Computer and Network Equipment Test System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement (Computer Software) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Computer System for Inspection Balloons in Technical Drawings Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Class II Medical Device with Software - Change to Computer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Is a computer used in hospitals considered a medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
Marc Shopping for Computer Spyware After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Q 21 CFR 820.30 - Automated with Computer Software - Applicable? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Options for OTS Computer as part of Medical Equipment System IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
A Is Computer Helpdesk a Special Process ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Computer Viruses Are "Rampant" on Medical Devices in Hospitals World News 0
I Confirmation of Computer Software to satisfy Intended Application Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
N Complying with ISO 9001 7.6 - Customer Provided Computer and Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Gages on Computer Screens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Life after the Personal Computer After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
A Suggest Computer Aided Quality Assurance (CAQ) software for Medical Devices Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3