How to convert inches to degrees - Inspecting the perpendicularity of 2 lines

F

fabiolag

I am inspecting the perpendicularity of 2 lines with a GD&T tolerance of .001". If I am using a vision system to trace the 2 lines and taking the angles between them (the angles have to be around 90 degrees of course), how do I know how much tolerance I have in the angle measurement in terms of degrees? In other words, How do I convert .001" to degrees?

I did the simple conversion equation of:
1/1000 = x/360
and got x = .36; so that means my angle can be between 89.64/90.36 degrees

But I am not sure if it's that easy.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Atom_Ant

If you want to calculate the positional deviation from nominal based on the angle, it depends very much on the length of the lines. For example, if you are 1 degree off of nominal, your line will be out of position by .017" for each inch of distance.

Randy

Super Moderator
There are 6400 mils in a circle (1 mil = 0.05625 degrees and 1 degree = 17.777777778 mils)

At 1000m a mil = 1 meter (at 1000m from center a circle has a circumference of approximately 6400m)

At 500m a mil = 0.5m

Start coming back from there to the measurement you have and convert meters into inches

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q How do I convert inches of mercury to pounds per foot Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
A Tubing Clog Tester - Convert from Air Bubble to Flow Rate Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
B Need to convert Reference Only M&TE to a calibration schedule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N How to Convert Micro Volts into Temperature Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
W In what format do you convert documents to digital form? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
W Convert Class B Medical Device to Class A IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
J How to convert Rougness Rmax=6,3S to micrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Convert Class A Software to B by on-chip Watchdog IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
K How do you convert Subjective Data into Numerical Data? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
B Process Approach - Convert System of Documentation into System of Managed Processes Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
AnaMariaVR2 How do I convert an .ASHX file to a pdf or MS PPT file? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
S Is it possible to convert a gas turbine to a diesel turbine? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
B Timeframe to Convert to AS9100 from ISO9001 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
L AS9100 in Japan convert from JISQ 9100 to AS9100 consultant needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Minitab Macro-Command 'NUMERIC' to convert a text column to an numeric column Using Minitab Software 8
R Please help me to convert from ISO9001 to ISO13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
eternal_atlas Quality Objectives - Convert these objectives into "SMART" format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P How to convert angle measurement given in degree to degree/Minutes/Seconds? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Six Sigma chart - How do I convert a database into a chart with binomial distribution Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M Efficient approach to convert Quality System from ISO 13485:2000 to ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C API Q1 Quality Manual Example - Trying to convert an existing ISO 9001 QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 30
Q 6 Weeks to convert from QS-9000 TE Supplement to ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
C Convert Dewpoint Temperature specification to RH (Relative Humidity) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Casana Distributors cannot convert to TS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J How to convert an unbeliever - Dinged for insufficient documentation by our registrar Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
S Measurement Terms - How do I say this in Inches? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Calculating impact force, expressed in lbs, of a 5 lb weight dropped 48 inches Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
F How to measure a part that is 6 inches deep without cutting it Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
R How to Measure over 100 inches on Sheet Metal and hold ? .060" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Basic Math training - I.e. fractions converting from inches to mm, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Can a measurment made in inches meet ISO 17025 Traceability requirment? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G What degrees of freedom means in uncertainty budget and how do I set the value Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
G Calculating Tolerance of a Panel Meter with a 2 degrees of an Arc General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M Bachelor Degrees in Quality Management or Quality Assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M Degrees of freedom for XmR charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
T Customer Escape of a part having features reversed 180 degrees Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
E Online Degrees and Graduate Certificates in Statistics Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C Degrees of Freedom with Linear Regression - Pressure Sensor Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
C 50 degrees C Temperature Limit for Patient Use Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Design Change needed for Changing an Angle in existing Product from 15-25 degrees? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
N The Worth and Value of Certifications and Degrees Career and Occupation Discussions 15
S Degrees of Freedom - How to calculate degrees of freedom and bias General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Minitab error: Zero or negative degrees of freedom Using Minitab Software 16
N Calculating Degrees of Freedom in order to determine my K value Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
S Primary Temperature Standard to -65 degrees C - Calibration Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Degrees of freedom in a 2 sample t test Six Sigma 5
Marc Online Degrees from Thunderwood College Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 18
R How would you explain DoF (Degrees of Freedom) to a non-statistician? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Conversions - Decimal degrees into thousands - CMM that measures an angle Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22