How to correlate the 8 Quality Management Principles to ISO 9000 standards ?

Q

qmsboy

Hi There,

I have heard that ISO 9001 heavily loaded with process approach.However,I have been entangled somewhere in ISO 9001:2008.But any of you could give the corresponding ISO 9001:2008 clauses for the following 8 management principles then I can cruise further,

1.Customer focus - 5.2,7.2.1,8.2.1
2.Leadership - I have no idea:(
3.Involvement of people -6? I am not sure:(
4.Process Approach - I have no idea:(
5.System Approach to management - 4.1(a) & 4.2.2(c) thanks to a forum member for the help
6.Factual approach to decision making - I Have no idea:(
7.Continual improvement - 8.5.1,8.5.2,8.5.3
8.Mutual beneficial supplier relationship- I have no idea:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Clauses in ISO 9001:2008 correlating with 8 Quality Management Principles

You're welcome. However, there is a lot of overlap between the 8 principles and the clauses of ISO 9001, so it is not simply a matter of "matrixing" it up. On top of that, the 8 principles also apply to ISO 9004, so they should not be looked upon as something that can be simply matched up against clauses - they are intended to be used by top management to lead the organization towards improved performance, and to form a basis for the QMS.

Having said that, there are some that do stand out...see below in bold (these are not all-inclusive):

1.Customer focus - 5.2, all of section 7.2, 8.2.1
2.Leadership - I have no idea:( all of section 5
3.Involvement of people -6? I am not sure:( section 6.2
4.Process Approach - I have no idea:( paragraph 4.1
5.System Approach to management - 4.1(a) & (b), 4.2.2(c)
6.Factual approach to decision making - I Have no idea:( paragraph 4.1(e) and 8.4
7.Continual improvement - all of section 8.5 and paragraph 4.1
8.Mutual beneficial supplier relationship- I have no idea:( section 7.4
Brian :rolleyes:

H

Hodgepodge

Hi There,

I have heard that ISO 9001 heavily loaded with process approach.However,I have been entangled somewhere in ISO 9001:2008.But any of you could give the corresponding ISO 9001:2008 clauses for the following 8 management principles then I can cruise further,

Section 5.1 Management commitment and 6.1 provision of resources touch on leadership requirements.
Section 0.2,
Section 4.1 Define necessary activities, responsibilities, and accountability.
Monitoring, measurement and analysis. Section 4.1 basically identifies the different factors that must be addressed throughout the qms. Each of the points in 4.1 are addressed later in the standard.
5.System Approach to management - 4.1(a) & 4.2.2(c) thanks to a forum member for the help
8.1, 8.2.3.
7.4 deals with purchasing, however, a mutually beneficial relationship is not one of the bullet points (thanks for that!).

The principles of management aren?t necessarily auditable bullet points in the ISO 9001 standard. They are more like philosophical management ideas. If your management decides to utilize the 9001 standard they are making a strategic decision (or so it says in the standard) to approach the management of the company with this philosophy.

To be certain, not all companies take this approach. Perhaps you have worked in a company where employees don?t freely share knowledge and experience. How would one cultivate a company culture where employees would feel comfortable doing this? This isn?t a bullet point to be audited. It is a company-wide approach to management that encourages employees through words and actions. The 8 principles of management are items to be considered when determining the framework and course of a company?s management strategy.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Hi There,

Great question :)

Firstly, the eight management principles doesnot belong to ISO 9001 but belongs to the ISO 9000 series.

As mentioned in the ISO document (refer attachment), this document introduces the eight quality management principles on which the quality management system standards of the ISO 9000 series are based. The principles are derived from the collective experience and knowledge of the international experts who participate in ISO Technical Committee ISO/TC 176, Quality management and quality assurance, which is responsible for developing and maintaining the ISO 9000 standards.

The eight quality management principles are defined in ISO 9000:2005, Quality management systems – Fundamentals and vocabulary, and in ISO 9004:2009, Managing for the sustained success of an organization – A quality management approach.

This document gives the standardized descriptions of the principles as they appear in ISO 9000:2005 and ISO 9004:2009. In addition, it provides examples of the benefits derived from their use and of actions that managers
typically take in applying the principles to improve their organizations’ performance.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DuncanGibbons How does AS 9100D correlate or differ from NADCAP accreditation? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
D Imaging/Image Quality Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Quality Team Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
C Quality assurance in Pharmacovigilance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 6
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
S Proposed Quality Improvement - Thoughts? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
was named killer CLOUD BASED QUALITY DOCUMENTATION vs. SERVER BASED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Seven Basic Quality Tools (January 23) [Paid] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Quality Objectives Not Met - Resources promised by investors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Resources for Planning for top quality Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R CQA Primer by the Quality Council of Indiana ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Ron Rompen Internal Quality Alert Program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
C Quality at Logistical Service Provider Service Industry Specific Topics 0
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
U Manufacturing solutions and keeping records on quality Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
R Role of quality compliance in SAP Software Quality Assurance 2
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5