How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance

Hi All,

I am new to the forum.

I have recently audited a supplier for which I found 2 non-conformances that I raised and supplier has come back with an corrective action plan. I suppose my question is, how to deal with it from my end. Do I need to raise an internal non-conformance report/CAPA to deal with the non-conformances raised during the audit.

There is nothing within ISO13485 that states how to deal with non-conformances raised during supplier audits.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave: The first thing to do is to identify any risks for your company that might result from the supplier NCs. I'm not a medical-device expert by any means, but whatever you do in that regard should be documented. I would think that your audit reporting process would be a good way to deal with it.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Laura,
What does your supplier control procedure say about supplier audits and corrective action?
Since these nonconformities are external to your organisation, they should be handled by the suppler with your follow-up / involvement. The level of your involvement should be linked to the level of risk. Again, this comes back to your SOP.

Shimon

Hi Both,
Thanks for replying on this matter.
There isn't really much information relating to raising NC's/CAPA's following a supplier audit, I have only found the following statement under the Supplier audit procedure;
1. Should any non-conformities be raised that have a direct bearing on the quality of company's products, the Supplier shall implement, and report upon, suitable corrective and, if deemed appropriate, preventive actions.

There is nothing under the CAPA/NC procedures that state how to deal with supplier NC's.

Laura

shimonv

Then you should consider opening a CAPA on your supplier management process. This is an opportunity for improvement.
Specific to the current situation, I suggest you save their planned corrective action with your report and ask the supplier to update you when the corrective action is complete.

Thanks Shimon.

My thought would be to open a CAPA but I was unsure whether I would need to initially raise an NC. I am newest to quality so still learning.

shimonv

I think it's okay to open a CAPA directly. If this would come up during internal audit, then it would make sense to open an NC first.

Would there be a need to raised a NC when this is raised at the suppliers end? I haven't raised NC's in the past for notified body audit findings, just CAPA's.

shimonv

Your procedure is not clear, so you have a bit of freedom how to go about it. I suggest to aim at minimum while you study the processes of supplier and internal audit controls.

The internal audit controls are specific that a NCR will be done should a NC be found. Its the supplier audit controls that seem to be an issue, would you suggest to raise an internal NC as a minimum? This has never been brought up as an issue in NB audits before.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Quality Assurance and Quality Control - Which clauses of ISO 9001 deal with each? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J ISO 9001:2015 Clause10.2 Nonconformity and Corrective Action - Deal with Consequences ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N Interesting Discussion How to Deal with Suppliers Who Refuse to Complete our ISO Survey? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 51
MDD_QNA How to deal with FDA after not reporting anything for several years Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Informational Update from GOV.UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no-deal Brexit – UK Responsible Person Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A How to deal with changed shared components in 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Informational UK – Contingency legislation covering regulation of medicines and medical devices in a no deal scenario – Human Medicines and Medical Devices (Amendm Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Informational EU – Medicinal products and medical devices: Coordinated approach in case of a withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the Union without a deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no deal scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational UK – Businesses supplying medicines and medical devices – what to expect on day one of a ‘no deal’ scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational Design for new product safety marking for the no-deal Brexit scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational UK – Contingency legislation covering regulation of medicines and medical devices in a no deal scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
M Medical Device News MHRA releases response to consultation on EU exit no-deal legislative proposals Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Pharmaceuticals News UK – Further guidance note on the regulation of medicines, medical devices and clinical trials if there’s no Brexit deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Letter to the health and care sector: update on preparations for a potential no-deal Brexit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
supadrai Indemnity Letters - What's the Deal? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Medical Device News MHRA to consult on EU exit no-deal legislative proposals EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D How to deal with user needs when it is obvious the design meets the user need 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
O How to deal with Multiple Datums - Position with respect to Multiple Datum Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
0 How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R How to deal with CONFIDENTIAL documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L How to deal with resistance from auditee(s) Internal Auditing 20
P How to deal with a Recruitment Consultant Career and Occupation Discussions 3
AnaMariaVR2 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
J How to deal with incomplete forms Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
R How to deal with the RM requirement of clause 17 Electromagnetic Compatibility? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
T How to train employees to deal with external auditors? Internal Auditing 13
S Training on how to deal with Regulations, Rules, Regulations Conflicts, etc. Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
M Mobile Medical Platforms - How to deal with Supplier Hardware/Software Changes? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S How to deal with non-compliant company after take over of them IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
C If my location does not deal with GM - Firewall - CS1 & CS2 Question IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
I How to deal with Behaviour Problem in the work place? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 20
J How to deal with Mental models IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
BradM Deal? Or no Deal? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
Marc Looking for a good deal on a boat? World News 2
S How to deal with telemarketers Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
ScottK Giving training with a vicious cold - how do you deal? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
Marc Delphi to close, sell most plants under deal World News 0
J How to deal with an employee who has a bad attitude? - Employee Attitudes Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
D X Bar Chart - How can I deal with missing values in subgroups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
E Lets Make a Deal... The TV show - A statistical approach Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
M Dock to Stock - How to deal with inspection status requirements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Delphi, GM and UAW reach broad buyout deal World News 1
I How to deal with and track Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
J How to deal with operators who fail to follow work instruction? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 52
W Who is my customer? We only deal with the agent who sells our plastic resins IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
P Is TS-16949 a 2 for 1 Deal? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
Q Customer Specific Requirement, How to deal? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9