How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline

01mercy

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

I'm struggling a bit on a very practical thing regarding good documentation practice towards ISO 9001.

The situation is as follow:
I started working for a company of 600 people. The basic proces is:

Cust custom product request -> custom design phase -> construction drawing phase -> work orders to production -> 8 production assembly and final test processes -> product delivery

Each product has a value of +/- 4-5milj euro and we do around 100-150 pr/j. So in my opinion, first time right is of high priority.

I'm responsible for the management of the CAPA system and the DMS system and high level analysis of data.

The status of the DMS is as follow:
The only formal (in written procedure) structured control is on work instructions and procedures(process description).
The synchronisation of the original control and publication tool can be better.

The tracking info (a number only system) works for some departments and only for office people who have the coding explanation at hand, not for the people at the shop floor, however we are bound to it on group level.

Due to the above editable copies of original instructions are stored all over the place on local and network folders outside the DMS original control structure. The same is for registers, records etc. all that is not an instruction or procedure. The departments are creating there own systems outside of the DMS. For records ok but not ok if not described how.

The problem I'm facing is:

I would like to make the system work for everyone and be able to fullfill the needs of ISO.
So my suggestion is to make an alternative coding that works locally for each department, next to the group doc coding.
Review the process descriptions with the department heads and clean up the processes and underlying documentation and make it fullfill the DMS needs and the needs of the other departments related to those processes.
Inventarize all the non controlled copies on the network and graduately clean that up.

The problem is, when communicating this with the department owners, the feedback is that "it works for my department, so why should we?", "are we controlling just for the controlling, what does this bring for me?" etc.
In my experience classic defence that I have experienced in the past before. However I never worked for a 600+ company only for 10 times smaller and there it was much easier to talk with a GM and departments heads and was also the benefit much more clearer.

So has anyone the same experience within a large company? How did you deal with this? How can I get clear the benefit for a department when, due to unclear info, I have not much insight in the department processes myself etc etc Good suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Re: How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline?

Department heads with systems that work for them have no reason to change things. Whatever size company, and whatever solution you implement, you will need buy-in from top management and a directive from the CEO supporting your efforts.

As for the tool, it seems to me that you need a web-based QMS. We have one on a wiki, and it has worked great.

B

bigqman

01mercy - The culture you hint at sounds familiar! *Folks protecting their silos, optimizing locally, *departments creating their own systems to survive - I've worked in Mom& Pops to Global 100 size manufacturers.

Suggestions are:
the following beg quantification to the degree you can with the information systems available, and in $$ language for higher ups, in other forms of waste measurements for Operations.
"first time right is of high priority."
"synchronisation of the original control and publication tool can be better"
"The tracking info (a number only system) works for some departments and only for office people who have the coding explanation at hand, not for the people at the shop floor."

The key is building relationships with formal and informal leaders, and it takes work to identify who those folks are. Sharing the quantified loss(es) will eventually strike a nerve with leadership and then it becomes a matter of attacking one (if you have the luxury of time to focus on just one or maybe the significant two!) problem and improving it and then broadcasting the victory - for starters.

01mercy

Involved In Discussions

Thanks for your input.
Currently I'm making an inventory on all the drives of copies and files that need to be QMS controlled (at least written down how we manage them).

Already getting the feedback:
Nice, but if you have insight in that all, the response you will get is "do we have a problem than?"

My logic would say: If you have original copies all over the place that can be altered, if you have your QMS template used for all kinds of documentation to look like if it's under control and use coding that is not written down on how and where and trained.... yes you have a problem because you do not comply to what the standard means with "control".

But than I fully relate to the standard requirement and not to the beneficial part of doing that.
I rather fall back to the last instead on solely what the standard says.

I find it rather difficult to each time make people understand and explain what's the benefit of following the standard. And on top of that.... if I can explain than it's like "because our customers want that" etc etc.

We have an upcoming ISO 9001:2015 audit, anyone any experience in difference of auditing toward the DMS and QMS in general? I've heard it will focus much on leadership and risk management but I just wonder how they are going to audit for the first one.

01mercy

Involved In Discussions
I checked with my manager what best to do to create understanding of the ISO standard regarding documentation practice requirements.

We will, based on the what the ISO requires and the state of the current document control practice, make a presentation what will be the benefits for the departments when working according to ISO 9001.

I figured that this is important before improving because only if we have mutual consensus on the why&how only then there will be coop.

So if anyone has some good suggestions on readings how to clearify the benefits for different types of departmens in a company when using a certain level of control of documentation...
Please share with me, it's more than welcome! :yes::agree1:

B

bigqman

There is a Document Control "Basics" powerpoint deck here in the Cove.
YOu may want to use some or all of it.
40 slides.

01mercy

Involved In Discussions
Can anyone tell me where this document is?
If I search the attachments for "document control" I can't find a file with 40 slides.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L How to deal with resistance from auditee(s) Internal Auditing 20
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
MDD_QNA How to deal with FDA after not reporting anything for several years Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Informational Update from GOV.UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no-deal Brexit – UK Responsible Person Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A How to deal with changed shared components in 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Informational UK – Contingency legislation covering regulation of medicines and medical devices in a no deal scenario – Human Medicines and Medical Devices (Amendm Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Informational EU – Medicinal products and medical devices: Coordinated approach in case of a withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the Union without a deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no deal scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational UK – Businesses supplying medicines and medical devices – what to expect on day one of a ‘no deal’ scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational Design for new product safety marking for the no-deal Brexit scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational UK – Contingency legislation covering regulation of medicines and medical devices in a no deal scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
M Medical Device News MHRA releases response to consultation on EU exit no-deal legislative proposals Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Pharmaceuticals News UK – Further guidance note on the regulation of medicines, medical devices and clinical trials if there’s no Brexit deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Letter to the health and care sector: update on preparations for a potential no-deal Brexit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
supadrai Indemnity Letters - What's the Deal? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Medical Device News MHRA to consult on EU exit no-deal legislative proposals EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D How to deal with user needs when it is obvious the design meets the user need 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
P Quality Assurance and Quality Control - Which clauses of ISO 9001 deal with each? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O How to deal with Multiple Datums - Position with respect to Multiple Datum Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J ISO 9001:2015 Clause10.2 Nonconformity and Corrective Action - Deal with Consequences ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R How to deal with CONFIDENTIAL documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Interesting Discussion How to Deal with Suppliers Who Refuse to Complete our ISO Survey? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 51
P How to deal with a Recruitment Consultant Career and Occupation Discussions 3
AnaMariaVR2 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
J How to deal with incomplete forms Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
R How to deal with the RM requirement of clause 17 Electromagnetic Compatibility? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
T How to train employees to deal with external auditors? Internal Auditing 13
S Training on how to deal with Regulations, Rules, Regulations Conflicts, etc. Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
M Mobile Medical Platforms - How to deal with Supplier Hardware/Software Changes? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S How to deal with non-compliant company after take over of them IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
C If my location does not deal with GM - Firewall - CS1 & CS2 Question IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
I How to deal with Behaviour Problem in the work place? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 20
J How to deal with Mental models IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
BradM Deal? Or no Deal? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
Marc Looking for a good deal on a boat? World News 2
S How to deal with telemarketers Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
ScottK Giving training with a vicious cold - how do you deal? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
Marc Delphi to close, sell most plants under deal World News 0
J How to deal with an employee who has a bad attitude? - Employee Attitudes Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
D X Bar Chart - How can I deal with missing values in subgroups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
E Lets Make a Deal... The TV show - A statistical approach Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
M Dock to Stock - How to deal with inspection status requirements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Delphi, GM and UAW reach broad buyout deal World News 1
I How to deal with and track Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
J How to deal with operators who fail to follow work instruction? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 52
W Who is my customer? We only deal with the agent who sells our plastic resins IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
P Is TS-16949 a 2 for 1 Deal? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
Q Customer Specific Requirement, How to deal? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9