How to decide AQL value? Sampling Plans

H

Helenliu

I am in one semi-conductor industry company. I meet a real problem about how to decide AQL value.The defect average ratio was found by 100% pertent Visual inspection about 20 ppm. We want to change the inspection ratio from 100% to sampling check, but I don't know which AQL level is effective and meaningful.
Any friends:thanx: can help?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: How to decide AQL value?

I am in one semi-conductor industry company. I meet a real problem about how to decide AQL value.The defect average ratio was found by 100% pertent Visual inspection about 20 ppm. We want to change the inspection ratio from 100% to sampling check, but I don't know which AQL level is effective and meaningful.
Any friends:thanx: can help?
OK, so your process average is 20 ppm or 0.002%, excellent yield that. If you maintain your process under the existing control you can expect to achieve Average outgoing quality (AOQ) of 0.002% defectives.
From the preferred AQL for single sampling plan under tightened inspection level the best AQL is 0.01 by which the Average outgoing quality limit (AOQL) would be 0.0184.
So perhaps if you follow this plan you could expect a worst quality of 184 ppm going out.
Tightened inspection, Single sampling plan, General inspection level III, AQL 0.01.
You could try this and check your results if it sounds acceptable.
Note here that your process consistancy is of utmost importance, since this ready plan can statistically pass 20 ppm to 184 pm defectives.
These are preferred AQL and if you wish to opt for still better AQL then the standard table does not work .
(Ref: ISO 2859-1:1999)

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
My experience with processes at that level of ppm has been that sampling inspection is ineffective. You basically have two choices: 100% inspection or no inspection.

I would recommend that you assess the risk of passing a nonconforming product and base your decision between 0% and 100% inspection on that risk. I also recommend that you consider some type of process control to ensure that your process stays at 20 ppm and does not deteriorate.

Last edited:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Miner is absolutely correct: that defect rate is going to require a very large sample size. For example if you wanted a plan that detected a 20ppm defect level 95% of the time (an RQL plan) your sample size would be 150,000 (149,786 to be exact). If you want to accept a 20ppm rate 95% of the time (an AQL plan) and you have a common c=0 plan, then your sample size would be 2,550.

Your management probably doesn't understand statistical sampling though right?
If not we can guide you through what the sample size would have to be depending on the level of protection you would require.

A few questions:

PROCESS: I assume that you are doing 100% human visual inspection of all die on all wafers? Is this post wafer/probe test and pre assembly? If not can you tell us where in the process the inspection is occurring?

VARIATION: When you do see defects are they randomly distributed across all wafers, only on some wafers and not on others or are they clustered in a specific location on a few wafers (such as might happen given some fixture location related cause). Or is there any other common pattern to the defects? Are there are any specific patterns when you have an abnormally high defect rate (when a ‘special’ cause occurs).

PROTECTION: Do you want to allow the current average defect rate to escape or do you want to detect that rate? What is the rate that you are comfortable shipping to your Customers? What rate would you be uncomfortable shipping to your Customers?

Once we know the answers to these questions we can up with a suitable AQL/RQL and sample size. In all likelihood the sample size will be very high and then you can let your management make an informed decision about sample inspection or 100% inspection

H

Helenliu

Thanks for all the answers.
First let me give more details about the process.
Actually it¡¯s refering to inspection after wire bonding process, and the upper mentioned defect is "no wire"(which is "missing bonding", ppm level is no more than 10ppm based on former 100% visual inspection). Management don't want to see such failure as if such failure could be detected then it could be reworked to reduce chip loss.
Due to manpower restriction, sampling is requested to replce 100% VI.
From above answers, I understand that if follow AQL=0.01 it's not able to detect such failure, thanks you all.
So there's no need to perform sampling inspection for a single defect of "no wire". But I want understand more on this question.
Now let's consider all the detects of wirebonding. The target is 140ppm, and now the actual average ppm level is about 80ppm(based on a self inspection conducted by wire bonding operator, sample size is about 8.3% of lot size(n/N=8.3%, lot size is about 10k-25k).
The question is:
1. If accept a ppm of 80ppm, AQL=? Sample size=? How to calculate?
2. Is the sample size of about 8.3% lot size enough to detect the defects of about 80ppm?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
silentmonkey How to decide what characteristics need to be verified during incoming inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S How to decide which medical device symbols go on label and labeling? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J ISO 9001 - How to decide if a company needs or will benefit from certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L Help me to decide which test to use - If each proportion belongs to the same population Using Minitab Software 7
T Can we remove a quality objective if we decide it is not measurable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
B How to decide on a sampling size for Xbar-R charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J How to decide work-stream in scope of Quality - Roles and Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Service Identification - How can we decide if X is a service or not? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
R How to decide a suitable contact time from table 23 of IEC 60601-1:2005 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
C Medical Device Manufacturing in Controlled Environment? How to decide? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Statistical Method to decide Threshold Value from a Data Set Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Gauge Design Tolerances - How to decide tolerances for gauge design? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Starting an MSA study - How to decide which is appropriate or required Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Lean or Six Sigma or TOC (Theory of Constraints) - How to decide Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
A Who to decide and select Internal Auditors and what are the criteria? Internal Auditing 18
M CAPA Rankings to decide if action is required Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
D Who should decide on my salary and adjustments? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
P How do you decide what is an acceptable Internal and External PPM number? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
M Overhaul QMS or start over? How do you decide? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
P How do you decide what is a Process, a Procedure or Work Instruction? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 89
J To Decide Which Factor has the Highest Influence on the Results Using Minitab Software 3
K Regulatory Requirements for ISO 13485 - Which country to decide? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B How to decide the ?U? to calcuate DPU and "opportunity" of DPMO Six Sigma 8
L Is the EPA is going to decide if the SPCC deadline is to be extended? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M CA (corrective action) or Continuous Improvement? It's hard to decide. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19
M how to decide the submission level for PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
Y How do we use SPC or other stat tools to decide product spec? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D On-going capability - Can we decide for ourselves how often to measure cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S Setting AQL Levels with Multiple Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q Anything higher than AQL 6.5 (ACCEPT/REJECT)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
S Question regarding AQL - ISO 3951 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
N AS 13004 Control Plan and AQL FMEA and Control Plans 1
S AQL tables: how to read them Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C What is the Appropriate AQL for Purchased Implantable Devices? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A % of defects on the whole batch based on result from inspection under AQL Level II Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
U How to pick between ANSI Z1.4 vs. ISO2859-1 for AQL Inspection? What are the major differences? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
W LTPD, AQL, Ppk and Cpk validation sampling plan table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
R AQL, Consumer Risk and MA Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
S ARMY AQL - Requirements which don't have an AQL associated with them Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M AQL table - I need to sample 1250pcs AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
Nicole Desouza Sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
V How to interpret AQL sampling tables AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
A AQL sampling bags of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S AQL Inspector's Rule - bring into CQE Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
N The question asks about sampling plans and AQL Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
K Defining Acceptance Quality Level, I need clarity on AQL 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5