How to Demonstrate Stability and Repeatability in very Short Run Process

Brad Gover

Involved In Discussions
Hi all! Its been a while since I last logged in. I am performing a FAI for an aerospace company. The company is requiring us to demonstrate process stability and repeatability per AS9102. Problem is we are only producing 5 molded plastic parts per the P.O. We ran a small lot back in 2003 on a different molding machine which is no longer with the company. The mold was in shabby shape so it was reworked too. very little run data was taken outside of the FAI performed then. Stability and repeatability was not a requirement back then. I don't have any run data from the 2003 run and I would seriously doubt using any due to the situation described above. So the question I have is given such a short run of parts to fill the customer demand and no historical data regarding the average and standard deviation, could I just come up with a PPM or Yield value? I know that might not answer the stability requirement. Any thoughts on how I could document at least something other than an FAI?
Thanks,
Brad:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
hey Brad :bigwave:

the best thing to do is ask your Customer's SQE. with only 5 parts there is no 'statistical' analysis that will mean anything. 100% inspection is the only thing that will tell you what the 'lot' of 5 parts is doing. typically in Aerospace, the customer requires 100% inspection if the stability and capability of the process can't be established. this is where you are.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
You could at least plot the time sequence of the five items and see if they are continually increasing or decreasing which may be a warning sign.

Are the raw materials and the process cheap enough that you could make 25 of them and see if they are stable and toss 20 of them away?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
But why? if you are making only a few parts and they meet spec why does 'stability' or trending matter?

Brad Gover

Involved In Discussions
You all are so very helpful. I do appriciate the suggustions. I think going back to the SQE with explination of lack of enough data to make any predictions is best. The reliance on the FAI is really the only concrete glimpse into our process.
Thanks for the help!:agree1:

Brad Gover

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the help. I think with the FAI and measuring the rest for the critical features is about as good as it will get.
Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Demonstrate how sufficient levels of access to data is achieved - Claims of equivalence EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Ways to demonstrate objective evidence that employee is trained and competent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
S How can we demonstrate to MDSAP auditors that we have the requisite training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S What are some ways to demonstrate Effectiveness of Training? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
C Unable to Demonstrate FIFO Methodology ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Action to demonstrate compliance with on clauses 4.1, 4.2 and 6.1 of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R How to demonstrate REACH Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N How do I demonstrate REACH compliance ? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
S What needs to be done to demonstrate RoHS compliance for Medical Devices? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
J How to demonstrate equipment manufacturer meets 7.6.3.1? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S QMS to demonstrate Compliance to Canada, Europe and Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
C Statistical Analysis to Demonstrate Substantial Equivalence to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
Q ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 Rework Verification - Re-verification to demonstrate conformity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Continuous Improvement SOP - How to demonstrate we meet TS 16949 Clause 8.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
H Measure and Demonstrate Product Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
P Resource Management - How to demonstrate Provision of Resources? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Contacting Suppliers to demonstrate Environmental Commitment ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
L How to demonstrate one's ability in an interview Career and Occupation Discussions 8
V ISO 9001:2008 - How does an organization demonstrate "sustain success"? General Auditing Discussions 14
Q How to Demonstrate Manufacturing Process Design Conformity - Capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I In OHSAS 18001:2007 How to demonstrate 4.4.3.2 Participation and Consultation ? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
Ajit Basrur How to demonstrate Safeguarding of "Intellectual Property" in an Organization? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
J Demonstrate Receiving Inspection Sampling Method is Statistically Adequate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K How can I demonstrate meeting 5.6.2.1 and 6.3.1 of ISO/TS16949 requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P How to demonstrate cycle time minimization of rejected product/test analysis 8.5.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Gap analysis to demonstrate that we comply to CAN3-Z299.3-85 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 19
B How to demonstrate management commitment? Audit Failure Mode ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Internal Auditor Objectivity - How to demonstrate Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
R ISO 14001 Clause 4.4.4c - Interaction of Main Elements: How to Demonstrate? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
J Demonstrate 12 months performance data for TS 16949 Certification - Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Raffy How can I demonstrate evidence and effectiveness of Corrective Action Training Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M Stability with min/max sealing parameters? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Nihls Quality Control (stability) Chart for CMM's - How the control limits are to be calculated Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Stability sampling for Class 1 medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D What are the acceptance criteria/requirements for Stability Study? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Device mounted at IV pole - what about mechanical stability testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Use of OQ cleared batch for stability and clinical study use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C Surgical mask stability testing (CE mark) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G Accelerated stability of medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Stability accelerated vs. real-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Standards for real time stability for medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
C Medical Device Stability Studies - Non-validated pilot production Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Stability testing of medical devices as per ASTM F1980-16 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
lilybef Number of lots required for stability testing of a Class II device in the 510(k) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
V System suitability or stability during continuous usage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
F Extension of a stability study for an API Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
O New stability - Yes or No - Similar product but for different intended use EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Accelerated Stability Studies - Class III Medical Gloves Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1