How to Determine a Machine Capability? Shaft Fit Tolerance Measurement Results

S
I'm trying to determinate a machine and process capability and I have those questions. Can I determine a machine capability measuring only one shaft with a plenty of processed surfaces, then each surface has its own fit tolerance, becouse of its cylinderity? If I can should I consider all fit tolerance measuring results for only one shaft? Or should I consider MIN and MAX measured fit tolerance for a plenty of shafts?
Is it better for the process control to use XR ratio or Xs ratio?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rick Goodson

Suzi

This isn't my area of expertise, never the less:

Rule of thumb is that you should run 200 pieces if possible but no less than 50 for a machine capability study. One piece will not give you a time component and therefore will not show linear drift of the process. You also need to take subgroup measurements in order to get subgroup averages and then a grand average in order to determine the shape of the distribution.

Repost your question in the Tooling and Equipment Suppliers Forum. I believe you will find someone there with practical experience in machine capability studies.

Rick

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
This is an oldie, but does anyone have any contemporary thoughts on this?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How to determine a machine capability? Measuring results for only one shaft APQP and PPAP 1
A How to Determine Machine Tool Calibration Interval? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
T IEC 60601-1 - Risk assessment to determine the liquid - 11.6.3 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
Ashok sunder How to determine the internal and external issues in ISO 45001 standard? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
samer Do we have to determine Educational level for all Staff as pr 7.2 b clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Supplier Qualification - How do we determine which suppliers to qualify? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K ISO 13485:2016 Cl. 4.2.3 - Determine QMS Processes, Monitoring, Measuring, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Compliance Obligations - Implementing 6.1.1 and 6.1.3 NOTE - Determine risks and... ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R What testing would you run to determine if a device is "Clean"? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Maximum Material Condition with Bonus - Determine Cpk for this one kpc Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Q Tissue Adherence Test to determine how Tissue sticks to Gauze Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C DOE - How to determine optimal settings and transposing data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
insect warfare Cannot determine what type of medical device this product is.... 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Buckyb Are KPIs a requirement to determine Process Effectiveness? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
M Is a Real Time Stability Study required to determine Expiration Date? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
K How to determine rated input power for the markings? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M How to determine Process Capability using Minitab 17 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
V How does ASQ determine Exam Cutoff Marks Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
R How to Determine Working Voltage & Tolerance for Isolation Barriers? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
apestate How to determine all regulatory and statutory requirements to be met? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Gage R&R Study (Crossed) - How to determine Process Tolerance Using Minitab Software 4
D How can I determine a process metrics? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Can I use the % Tolerance to determine the actual process tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
R How to determine the Thickness tolerance of the Cold Rolled Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
T Technical regulations that determine the acceptable limits of cigarettes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J How does Layout Inspection determine Reference Value? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Q PPAP - How to determine the "Design Record Change Level" APQP and PPAP 2
K 7.6 c) c) Have Identification in order to determine Calibration Status Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
S How to determine part that is most difficult to sterilize Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
G How to determine if a Standard is Auditable General Auditing Discussions 15
L Who and when to determine AQL for our product inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
R 4 Factors 3 Level DOE to determine which factors are significant Using Minitab Software 2
C How to determine a sample size for comparison purposes ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S How to determine Preventive Maintenance and Calibration Grace Periods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J How to determine a Capability Study for Low-Volume Suppliers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
C Statistics equation to determine the number of samples in a lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S How to determine the Air Clearance for Floated Secondary Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
somashekar How to Determine the Necessary Employee Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F ISO 22000 Clause 7.4.4 to determine whether a control is a CCP or and OPRP Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
D Best Minitab Tool to determine a Statistically Significant Trend Using Minitab Software 5