How to determine if a Standard is Auditable

G

gavinjordan

Hi,

I hope this is in the right forum!

Two questions in one:

How can you quickly tell if an ISO standard is an auditable standard? Is the scope the best - e.g. ISO 9004 states it is not intended for certification in that part. But it is not always this clear.

Second question, can you make reference to a non-auditable standard within the scope of certification for an auditable standard (i.e include reference to meeting the requirements of a code of practice or guidance note)? I take it as a given you cannot refer to meeting the requirements of an auditable standard through auditing a different auditable standard.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gavin

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Reg Morrison

Re: Auditable Standards

The best way to recognize if a standard is "auditable" and "certifiable" is to see if it contains REQUIREMENTS or not. Normally the title of the standard will designate if it is a requirements standard or not.

The idea is that "requirements" can be assessed for conformity or not, while guidance standards such as ISO 9004, ISO 10002, ISO 14004, etc. contain guidance, which is not as readily "verifiable".

As for the practice of listing standards in the scope of certification, for the most part, it is a gimmick, a loophole.

For example, if someone issues an ISO 9001 certificate stating that the QMS was found to comply with OHSAS 18001, it is an obvious attempt to circumvent the fact the auditor/registrar is not qualified to issue OHSAS 18001 certificates. Otherwise, why would they do it? OHSAS 18001 has nothing to do with a QMS.

If you give more specific details, maybe we can offer more comments.

G

gavinjordan

Hi Reg

I mentioned that I took it as a given that you cant/should not include an auditable standard like 18001 within an audit of another standard.

But what about Codes of Practice that are not in themselves auditable standards. I have seen meeting the requirement of BS EN 15713:2009 referred to in the certification scope of an organisation on their ISO 9001 certificate. How do you feel about that? [FONT=19Ef22bCenturySchoolbook,Bold][FONT=19Ef22bCenturySchoolbook,Bold]
[/FONT][/FONT]

G

gavinjordan

Hi Reg,

Thanks - I never twigged this. Doh! I've just checked and you are absolutely right - it is clearly there in the title of the auditable standards!!! Cheers

Gavin

T

t.PoN

Re: How to determine if a standard is auditable ?

I completely agree with Reg, and I hate to add any confusion but here it is:
You still can be certified according to ISO guideline such as ISO 10002 ....click here.

If the customer agrees on applying the guideline, you can still audit the BS.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Re: How to determine if a standard is auditable ?

Auditable and certifiable are two different things.

If we use the definitions from ISO 19011 that an audit looks for evidence to compare against audit criteria, and audit criteria are policies, procedures and requirements, a lot of things are auditable, including all standards as they can be equated to policies or procedures, even the ones not having requirements.

Certifiable...this depends on certification schemes.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Ashok sunder How to determine the internal and external issues in ISO 45001 standard? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
N How does a company determine what ISO standard (9000 or 9001) to register to? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
T IEC 60601-1 - Risk assessment to determine the liquid - 11.6.3 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
samer Do we have to determine Educational level for all Staff as pr 7.2 b clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Supplier Qualification - How do we determine which suppliers to qualify? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K ISO 13485:2016 Cl. 4.2.3 - Determine QMS Processes, Monitoring, Measuring, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Compliance Obligations - Implementing 6.1.1 and 6.1.3 NOTE - Determine risks and... ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R What testing would you run to determine if a device is "Clean"? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Maximum Material Condition with Bonus - Determine Cpk for this one kpc Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Q Tissue Adherence Test to determine how Tissue sticks to Gauze Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C DOE - How to determine optimal settings and transposing data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
insect warfare Cannot determine what type of medical device this product is.... 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Buckyb Are KPIs a requirement to determine Process Effectiveness? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
M Is a Real Time Stability Study required to determine Expiration Date? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
K How to determine rated input power for the markings? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M How to determine Process Capability using Minitab 17 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
V How does ASQ determine Exam Cutoff Marks Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
R How to Determine Working Voltage & Tolerance for Isolation Barriers? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
apestate How to determine all regulatory and statutory requirements to be met? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Gage R&R Study (Crossed) - How to determine Process Tolerance Using Minitab Software 4
D How can I determine a process metrics? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Can I use the % Tolerance to determine the actual process tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
R How to determine the Thickness tolerance of the Cold Rolled Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
T Technical regulations that determine the acceptable limits of cigarettes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J How does Layout Inspection determine Reference Value? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Q PPAP - How to determine the "Design Record Change Level" APQP and PPAP 2
K 7.6 c) c) Have Identification in order to determine Calibration Status Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
S How to determine part that is most difficult to sterilize Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
L Who and when to determine AQL for our product inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
R 4 Factors 3 Level DOE to determine which factors are significant Using Minitab Software 2
C How to determine a sample size for comparison purposes ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S How to determine Preventive Maintenance and Calibration Grace Periods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J How to determine a Capability Study for Low-Volume Suppliers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
C Statistics equation to determine the number of samples in a lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S How to determine the Air Clearance for Floated Secondary Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
somashekar How to Determine the Necessary Employee Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F ISO 22000 Clause 7.4.4 to determine whether a control is a CCP or and OPRP Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
D Best Minitab Tool to determine a Statistically Significant Trend Using Minitab Software 5
E How to determine the Lot Size for the OQ Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
A How to determine if product is a Medical Device in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
R How to determine the ratings of components in primary circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
P Which test to use in Minitab to determine difference in Number of Errors per Day Using Minitab Software 1