How to Determine Run At Rate: Steel Coil Processing

D

D.Scott

Andrews

Assuming you are doing a PPAP on the whole process as one part, you would have to look at the stages seperately to determine your constraint. The constraint is the "bottleneck" that determines how many FINISHED pieces can be made within a given time. For example, if you find a constraint as the first process in line, you may be able to elevate the constraint by "stocking" an inventory.

In the case you outline, the last process appears to be the constraint. Your "run-at-rate" would be 200 nos./hr. If you did some streamlining and raised that constraint to say 500 /hr, then your constraint becomes #2 and the "RAR" is elevated to 300 nos./hr.

Dave

S

Sam

I would sugeest you contact your customer for the particulars. Again, each customer has a slightly different requirement for their "run@rate". Ford, for example wants overall equipment effectiveness (OEE) figured in to the results.

H

Hermann - 2011

Just an info update:
GM's Run@rate procedure GP 9 (GM1960) has been revised. Roll out and implementation to follow.

S

Sam

Become effective Jan. 03. How ever you can implement now if yopu prefer.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Run at rate is also part of the Part Submission Warrant sent with PPAP

Dave,

Where on the PSW is a line for "Run@Rate"? Are you talking about the "Declaration" section which asks for the production pcs./8hrs.? I only give our quoted capacity figure on that line - not the Run@Rate figure. Typically, with our customers, the "official" (customer on-site) Run@Rate doesn't even happen until after PPAP approval.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something (not that hasn't ever happened!!!)

Bill

D

D.Scott

You don't ever miss anything LOL :vfunny:

Yes, I am referring to the declaration section. You are absolutely correct, the run at rate is a study in its own and I probably shouldn't have used the term for this section.

We have found that many of our customers and our QS auditor refer to it as a run at rate so we just follow along.

Sorry for the confussion. :truce:

Dave

S

Sam

DC- Determined at quote process.requires a PSO, either customer or supplier. R@R results to be maintainede on file.

Ford requires R@R with each PPAP submittal. (sectionII - PPAP)

GM - Determined at quote process.requires an R@R, either customer or supplier. R@R results to be maintained on file.

D

Dadzee

Dave and Sam, Hello to you both. New to the boards today, and very happy to have found such a resource. I am just an hourly shmo with no Qual degree but work with PPAP, auditors and such every day.
I am looking at table 1.4.1 and of the 19 elements for submission I see no R@R. I have never had any inside or outside auditor address this, but you never know what will catch their fancy some days as opposed to others.
Is the R@R perhaps contained within some of the required documentation such as the DFEMA ?
Will be looking for your knowledge to infect my brain. Thanks
Dadzee

D

Dadzee

DOH !
OK found it in sec 2...shoulda peeked all the way into Sams post for the section....So this is simply stating that when Process Potentials,R&Rs and such are calculated they must be with parts run at and in real world conditions ?
Dadzee

H

Hermann - 2011

In the part submission warrant you only state the production rate.l
Ford often require an Overall Equipment Efficiency analysis as part of their Launch Readiness Review (find the bottleneck operation and calculate/measure the production rate)
GM's R@R procedure is GP9.
Exactly what an STA or SQE will want to witness is up to him. Often, if you have worked with them before, they will take your word for it and move on to the next supplier! In any case witnessing R@R is after PPAP.
Hope this helps

Top Bottom