Informational How to develop a Control Plan from a PFMEA (Process FMEA)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
This is an old thread - A quick "refresh" since control plans are a hot topic today.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Marc, the basics never really go out of style.....always good to review, as it is so critical to many industries.....The Cove Is Great!!! :applause:

Hi all,
I have question about column (Control method) in control plan.
If we have 100% inspection on workstation by operator after operation assembly and no records is correct description in control plan?
for example :
100% inspection on workstation by operator after operation assembly - no records

description "no records" is correct practic or not acceptance ?:confused:
However is good pratic put comends in CP " no records"?
Thanks

kobyla

Re: Develop Control plan from PFMEA: how to?

Thank you for the explanation, can you please send me the redacted version of a PFMEA -> Control Plan from your latest product?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
can you please send me the redacted version of a PFMEA -> Control Plan from your latest product?
What you need to do is use the Attachment List link and search for PFMEA for some examples.

Confidentiality issues will prevent most people from sharing documents such as FMEAs and control plans.

Last edited:

Jimmy123

Involved In Discussions
I search also for a good guidance. APQP gives an idea. My interpretation:
- Develop the Process Flow Chart, based on the product characteristics (drawings, specifications).
- process variations of the product characteristics influence the performance of the product function, this could have a risk for the user. FMEA gives the answer, what’s the severity. FMEA gives also an answer, which process parameter have an influence (cause-effect Relation) to the product functions. Therefor you should have good controls for the process characteristics, sometimes, if this is not a suitable control the product characteristics have to be under control.
- CP list the process step no. and operation no. and the related controls. Add the measuring device, interval, instructions, reaction plan for emergency cases. CP is an extract of PFC and FMEA and less additional info. It’s more used for a fast overview, if all important characteristics have appropriate controls related to the risk. In my view the important point „risk“ is missing in CP, only the SC give a hint. What do you think, is my understanding right?

Last edited:

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Dear all,
To bring back to life this thread I have few questions related to Control Plan for Mass Production.
We have a process Automatic Cutting and Crimping and Control of Automatic Cutting and Crimping by Quality Inspector.
Product charateristic controlled by OPERATOR is Copper and Insulation Crimp Height/ Width and it is (Significant Characteristic)
Product charateristic controlled by QUALITY INSPECTOR is the same. In the control plan shall I also indicate as (Significat Characteristic) the Copper and Insulation Crimp Height/ Width controlled by the Q INSPECTOR or not ?

The product has been already produced by operator and it is more important this person who is producing it and measuring it to know that this characteristic is Significant. Afterwards the control by the quality inspector is also important, but the quality inspector is not directly related to producing the product.

In the PFMEA is given that product characteristic as SC and as you may predict there's no distinguishing between operator and inspector.

In my opinion either way is correct, but I'd like to hear the opinion of more people involved in this industry and with more experience.

I have attached two examples for better understanding.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Sampling Strategy for Process Control - How to develop a Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P Develop a Document Control System - Six Sigma Project Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 32
L Software control program to handle firmware we develop - Seeking Procedure Software Quality Assurance 1
M Proper way to develop LCL when only given a lower spec limit Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Sidney Vianna NASA to Develop a Novel Approach for All-Electric Aircraft Using Cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen as Energy Storage World News 2
M IEC 62304 - Develop an Architecture for the Interfaces of Software Items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
S Help develop sampling plan for prototype samples (medical devices) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G How to develop a strategy to eliminate an indicator who has been 0 forever? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
C Who should develop a LSS (Lean Six Sigma) project charter? Six Sigma 2
A How to Develop and Implement 5S +1 Program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J Develop a Customer Survey for Quality - The influence of Quality (ISO) on our Service ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A What should be strategy plan to develop R&D and what we should do to certified that IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S How to develop Productivity Metrics Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
A We Design and Develop - All of our Manufacturing is Outsourced - ISO 13485 Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
G Is it dumb to develop an ISO 17025 web site? ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
R How to Develop a 5S Implementation Plan Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
tony wardle Change Starts at the Top - Who can Initiate or Develop a Paradigm Change Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 45
S How to develop a Quality Cost Summary Report Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A Guidelines and Advice on how to develop a Company Newsletter ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N Help a newbie to develop a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
I How do I develop OC Curves from data collected? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
A SPC Training - I want to develop my knowledge in statistical tools Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M ISO 9001 Requirements for associated service - Design and develop software Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
U ISO to develop Road Safety Standards - ISO/PC 241-"Road Safety Management" Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M How to develop the Health and Safety Committee (textile sector)? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
S Develop and Train Project Management Team in Effective APQP Usage APQP and PPAP 5
R Trying to develop ISO 9001 training for a newly certified company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E What is the best way to develop a CTQ tree? Six Sigma 3
M How to develop a checklist for internal audit? Internal Auditing 14
D What is the minimum number of values to develop individual chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
J Quality Assurance Plan (APQP) - I have to Develop a Quality Assurance Plan APQP and PPAP 5
Y Want to meet someone from big 3 in the supplier develop field to learn from Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S Product Development Program - Design, develop, approve and manufacture new products Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
C Calibration Engineer - Looking for information to develop a job description General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S 5S blitz workshop - One of my first missions is to develop a 5S training course Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO to develop a Guidance Document (ISO 26000) on Social Responsibility - some object Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 177
Tom W PFMEA for Heat Treat Service Provider - Trying To Develop RPNs FMEA and Control Plans 11
D Trying to develop a written procedure for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Marc Ford Reaches Agreement With Covisint To Develop Supplier Portal Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
C How to develop an Equipment / Machinery FMEA - Remember the key word: Predictive FMEA and Control Plans 7
J FMEA Software to develop P&D Failure Modes Effects Analysis Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1