How to develop executable quality management system for rookies?

Peter_Djuk

Registered
Dear friends and experts:

For my first post, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for being part of this great community and for all your contribution to the better understanding and management of quality systems.

The moment I stumbled upon an Elsmar website/forum I realized that I have come to a turning point of my career as a quality management system engineer and all that wouldn't be possible if you weren't sharing your experience and knowledge with us for last 25 years. Thank you so much.

The topic I'm trying to find the right answers for is "How to develop executable quality management for rookies".

Setting up the stage:

1. My company (I'm not allowed to share the name so please don't mind me calling it the "ABC" company) as being part of the automotive industry is having extended manufacturing sites (EMS) in cities nearby (three of them to be exact).

2. Those EMS are not in direct ownership of the ABC company, but more as an example of the outsourcing.

3. There are two full-time resident engineers per site whose responsibility is to represent ABC company's interest.

4. The plan is to employ additionally one quality engineer per site who will be responsible for the claim resolutions and development and implementation of corrective and preventive actions as a result of 8D analysis per occurred problem.

5. I'm a quality management system engineer for the ABC company and my job will be to find a way and to develop executable quality management for rookies (since the EMS don't have any process established according to the IATF 16949 standard requirements).

Would you be willing to help me by sharing your thoughts, experience and knowledge on this kind of situation - from where should I start, or in general speaking - how would you develop executable quality management for rookies? I would really appreciate it.

Kind regards and stay safe!

Petar

vitplanocka

Registered
I would recommend to read the publication VDA Robust Production Process (latest edition is 2019).
It is basically a "cookbook" to set up a quality management system. I like it much more than e.g. IATF 16949 because it's not just a list of requirements, it's more a collection of tested best practices.

It has several parts, such as pre-requisites for robust production process, basic principles (such as creation of feedback loops) and also it has a section overview of requirements for quality functions at a production location which you can use as a checklist of procedures/processes you need to set up to have a robust process.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
how would you develop executable quality management for rookies?
Welcome to The Cove.

If I understand what you are asking, in my assessment, the best way to develop a quality system is to embed it, seamlessly and stealthly in the operational processes of the organization. Quality (and the lack thereof) is almost omnipresent in an organization; it happens in the boardroom, the shopfloor, the purchasing department, the shipping dock, in the engineering offices, etc. almost everywhere. Quality has to be designed, "baked in", how the whole organization operates.

Good luck.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Petar,

Study the system of interacting people and processes that is already in place. Already it’s is being executed. This is the system for your colleagues to understand and develop so that it conforms to the requirements of IATF 16949.

Search The Cove for more tips on “developing your organization's process-based management system“ so it is used and improved for the benefit of your organization's customers, employees and the other stakeholders.

Run a workshop for your leaders to develop their message and materials to help convey their enthusiasm and commitment to their management system so existing employees and new team members or rookies are clear on what is expected of them.

We remain ready to answer your questions as you go.

John

Peter_Djuk

Registered
I would recommend to read the publication VDA Robust Production Process (latest edition is 2019).
It is basically a "cookbook" to set up a quality management system. I like it much more than e.g. IATF 16949 because it's not just a list of requirements, it's more a collection of tested best practices.

It has several parts, such as pre-requisites for robust production process, basic principles (such as creation of feedback loops) and also it has a section overview of requirements for quality functions at a production location which you can use as a checklist of procedures/processes you need to set up to have a robust process.

Thank you @vitplanocka, I will try to get my hands on the book by ordering it from VDA QMC webshop. Hopefully, it will arrive soon. :) Nevertheless, the VDA book is always a good read.

Welcome to The Cove.

If I understand what you are asking, in my assessment, the best way to develop a quality system is to embed it, seamlessly and stealthly in the operational processes of the organization. Quality (and the lack thereof) is almost omnipresent in an organization; it happens in the boardroom, the shopfloor, the purchasing department, the shipping dock, in the engineering offices, etc. almost everywhere. Quality has to be designed, baked in how all of the organization operates.

Good luck.

Thank you so much @Sidney, it seems that you and John have a similar approach and I'll definitely put my mind on it to try and make some conclusions.

Petar,

Study the system of interacting people and processes that is already in place. Already it’s is being executed. This is the system for your colleagues to understand and develop so that it conforms to the requirements of IATF 16949.

Search The Cove for more tips on “developing your organization's process-based management system“ so it is used and improved for the benefit of your organization's customers, employees and the other stakeholders.

Run a workshop for your leaders to develop their message and materials to help convey their enthusiasm and commitment to their management system so existing employees and new team members or rookies are clear on what is expected of them.

We remain ready to answer your questions as you go.

John

Sir, thank you very much for pointing my thoughts and focus on the right direction! I will search The Cove for more information.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Most of the systems fail due to lack of commitment from top management.
I would suggest you keep the top management informed & involved throughout the system development. Review the status frequently with them including hurdles to close it timely.

And time to time you can visit Elsmar forum to find out more information/ to get help to solve the problems you might face during the system development.

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
I would suggest you keep the top management informed & involved throughout the system development. Review the status frequently with them including hurdles to close it timely.

And time to time you can visit Elsmar forum to find out more information/ to get help to solve the problems you might face during the system development.

Yes!!!!! I think its important to develop a system that will be embraced and used- not just to check the audit box. Make sure people understand WHY ISO 9001/ IATF requires you to do things a certain way. Once they realize it isn't just a "quality" system but a way to manage a company they could see the light bulb and embrace the requirements.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource

That statement deserves to be repeated.

However good or bad a company is at anything is, IMO, more directly related to the degree of commitment from top management than any other factor, by far.

Peter_Djuk

Registered
If you are looking for examples, I work for a Department of Energy contractor, and the DOE does "flow down requirements" to us. It can be a bit ponderous (especially given it is the government) but may have some ideas to be followed.
It's much appreciated, Sir. Thank you very much!!

Top Bottom