How to do Destructive Test Gage R&R - Rupture Test

O

Orlando Guillory

How do you do a gage R&R when the sample is destroyed or modified during the test? I have several tests such as a rupture test that we want to define the errors but cannot repeat the test with the same samples. Suggestions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Batman

Up until two days ago, I would have said no way. However, I just finished reviewing the PPAPall.xls file - found in the PDF Zone elsewhere in this site. On one of the pages, near the 'regular R&R' page, it has a fill in the blanks form with calculations. While I am NOT any type of math wiz, I do have some objection to this philosophically. However, I believe it is blessed by Delphi, so have at it.

D

Don Winton

The spreadsheet Batman mentioned appears to be statistically sound. Destructive testing could also be R&R'd as attribute data, but the attribute portion of the same spreadsheet appears to be somewhat 'lacking.'

Regards,
Don

D

Don Winton

Yea, I guess I should expound upon my last post. Sorry about that.

…the calculations are 'lacking,' so could one get in trouble using it? Trouble with auditors, trouble using the data to make decisions?
Using logic, if the portion of the spreadsheet for attribute R&R is somewhat ‘lacking’ (IMHO), then an argument could be made that other portions of the same spreadsheet may be lacking as well, thus you must be able to justify the use of the calculations to your assessors (assuming the question is even asked) and yourself. My particular problem with the attribute page of PPAPall.xls was that is did not consider marginal samples. The samples either had to all pass or all fail for the gage test to be considered acceptable (100% same results per sample. Plueeeeeeze. Does differentiate ring a bell?). BUT, I did not design nor have input to its design. Therefore, an argument could be made that the authors had a legitimate reason for the calculations, but I cannot explain these reasons to my assessors, nor myself.

If Delphi accepts the destructive portion (or any portion, for that matter) and the calculations of PPAPall.xls, that should satisfy most assessors. But, I would not be willing to gamble my registration on it. I would want to be able to explain how if the subject came up. How I came to the conclusion that the R&R was acceptable, etc. and PPAPall.xls offers no derivations on the calculations involved. Perhaps they may be available from the source, perhaps not. Do not get me wrong, I am neither accepting nor rejecting PPAPall.xls nor its authors. They obviously put a lot of good work into it. And, I applaud Marc for providing it to the public. These are just my thoughts on this matter.

CAN you legitimately perform a Gage R&R in destructive testing?
Having reviewed the destructive portion of PPAPall.xls, these are my particular issues, other than those outlined above. Under the assumption that the test was tolerance based, you could use that if you wished. Under the assumption that the test was attribute based, you may not be able to. Therefore, I humbly propose an alternative. Use process capability.

Process capability tests are available for both variable data and attribute data. Process capability does not require use of the same sample. AND process capability is something that should be acceptable as a measure of R&R, designed correctly. You perform capability on the gage, not the process. However, if the assessors do not want to accept process capability numbers, translate process capability numbers into R&R numbers. I have the method laying around here somewhere, if anyone is interested.

In short, my answer to Batman’s question is yes, assuming you are willing to work outside the normal paradigm.

Regards,
Don

B

Batman

Sorry for the delay, been having trouble logging into the site.
So Don, to answer Orlando's question, CAN you legitimately perform a Gage R&R in destructive testing? Even though there is a form in that PPAPall spreadsheet? As you pointed out, the calculations are 'lacking,' so could one get in trouble using it? Trouble with auditors, trouble using the data to make decisions?

D

Don Winton

Will send by e-mail this weekend. Format is Word 6.0.

Enjoy and critical analysis welcome.

Regards,
Don

O

Orlando Guillory

Thanks for all the input. I would like to see the method to translate process capability into R&R.

I have been using control charts and cpk for the approvals of destructive methods at this time. The charts must be in control and cpk greater than 1.3 to accept the gage and part. This makes the assumption a bad gage R&R will not allow a cpk of 1.3 or greater. Of course if the part varies widely you are condemning the gage as well.

I cannot download the PPAPall.xls file mentioned. Is their a trick? By the way I cannot get to the listing through the Cayman system. For some reason I have to go straigt to it via a bookmark to "index of /pdf_files".

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I cannot download the PPAPall.xls file mentioned. Is their a trick?
No trick - it's in how you set up your browser.
By the way I cannot get to the listing through the Cayman system. For some reason I have to go straigt to it via a bookmark to "index of /pdf_files".
I have no idea why, if you input the correct address, you cannot get a listing in the pdf_files directory. Works fine for me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Destructive Tensile Test Sampling Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
E Destructive Pull Test Gage R&R advice needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
B GR&R (Gage R&R) for Destructive Test - Question on how to? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
optomist1 MSA Gage R&R - Destructive Test with One Sided Specification and One Operator Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R MSA gage R&R (GR&R) for Destructive Test (Non-Replicable Data) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Gage R&R studies for Destructive Test Devices (pull and push tests) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
F Gage R&R Destructive Test With Breakaway Fixture To Simulate A Part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H Destructive Tensile Pull Test Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G Destructive test, gage R&R with one sided tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Tensile Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Pharmaceutical industry - Tablet hardness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R Gage R&R for a Destructive Test - Weld Breakout Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
J Gauge R&R for Destructive Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
S Samples for a Destructive Test included in a Lot Size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Destructive Test Sample Size Reduction Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S Looking for A Non-Destructive Crimp Test method to replace Pull Test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Destructive VTMV Subgroups - A Destructive Variable Test Method to Validate Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
A Destructive Test Sample Size Determination Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M What Sample Size for Destructive Test and is 'T' Test applicable? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B MSA Study on Test Rig Constraints - Destructive, Long Duration Tests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Sampling plan for destructive test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Sample Size in Destructive Pull Test and Interpretation of Test Result IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
E MSA requirement for destructive Pull out test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M MSA Study for tensile tester - Its difficult to do an MSA study on a destructive test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E Acceptance Sampling to be used for Lot Acceptance - Destructive Test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Destructive Test MSA's - Mechanical properties of adhesives Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O MSA for Destructive Tests - Tensile test as an example Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Destructive testing: How to determine starting level in Bruceton test? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Identifying Technologies for Non Destructive Examination of steel brazed joints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
A Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
S Script of R software to conduct Nested GRR for Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S About NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) and ISO 17020 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
V Sampling Plan for Destructive Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Magnetic Particle Inspection Non-Destructive Testing Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Sampling plan for destructive tests on small lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
S Destructive Gage RR - Using Crossed - want your thoughts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
R Destructive Non Reproducibility MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Manufacturing Process Validation Destructive Testing Sampling Plan Advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Critical Defect Destructive Testing Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K How to perform Verification for a Gage that is used in Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Destructive Attribute MSA for Simple Water Leak Check in Trailers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Destructive Testing Failure Mode Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Destructive Attribute (Crossed) Gage R&R - Need Help! Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Destructive Attribute Gage R&R without LSL/USL Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E Sequence of Operations - Non-Destructive Testing vs. Trim & Drill Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Prices for NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) Inspection for a Boeing 737-400 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Gage R&R Destructive UTS Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1