How to draw an OC Curve (operating characteristic curve)

• Thread starter PafflesWancakes
  • Start date
P

PafflesWancakes

Good Evening!

I just wanted to ask if anyone could assist me with some problems? I'm supposed to draw an OC Curve and have been looking online. I can't seem to find anything that is helping.

This was the question:

Disetronic Medical Systems and the United States Food and Drug Association (FDA) notified healthcare professionals and patients about a nationwide recall of D-TRON adapters, used with the D-TRONplus insulin pump. The adaptors can potentially over-deliver a maximum amount of up to 1.8 units of insulin. Use of these recalled adapters may pose a potentially life-threatening situation to certain children using the pump. Other users who are insulin sensitive may also be at increased risk. The root cause of this failure mode is a sporadic failure of a valve inside the D-TRON adapter to close completely, which can result in a potential over-delivery of a maximum amount of up to 1.8 I.U. of insulin. As an immediate correction, Disetronic has notified the caregivers and physicians of the pump users 13 years of age and under to immediately discontinue the use of the affected adapters. The corrective action will include modification of the valve assembly process, which must be re-validated. You have been selected as the senior process validation engineer to participate in this important initiative.

The severity, occurrence and detectability for the valve assembly process are as follows: S= 4, O=2, D=2. This gives an RPN of 16 and a risk index of 2. A risk index of 2 for attribute data requires an LTPD of 1% and a confidence interval of 95%. The AQL of the valve assembly process is 0.07%.

Using this information as your basis, select an appropriate sampling plan from the attached table that ensures consumer’s risk (patient risk) is within your selected LTPD, and also ensures at least a 95% chance that a process meeting this LTPD will pass one lot of the validation. Draw the OC curve.

Table:
Sample Size AQL LTPD 0.05 LTPD0.10
n = 300; a = 0 0.02% 1% 0.76
n = 470;a = 1 0.08% 1% 0.90
n = 100; a = 0 0.05% 3% 2.51
n = 315; a = 1 0.11% 1.5% 1.15

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
Since it seems that this is an assignment, I would only give you a clue.
You have to figure it out yourself so as to maximize learning retention.
In Excel
If you have finite population size, use hypergeometric distribution:
=HYPGEOM.DIST(sample_s,number_sample, population_s,number_pop,cumulative = TRUE)

If you have relatively infinite population size use:
=BINOM.DIST(number_s,trials,probability_s,cumulative = true)

go to Excel's internal documentation for more details on the formula. You have to give several values of the probability of defect and compute the probability of seeing the acceptance number. Then plot the series.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Draw OC curve - Double sampling plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
V How do I draw OC curve? How do I plot this curve in Excel? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
J Medical Device Failure Effects - Where to draw the line? FMEA and Control Plans 8
D How do I draw Graph a Mean & Range Chart & FIND CL UCL UCL for this data on Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
pammesue When to draw the line on first articles submissions? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
K Where do you draw the line on what fixtures/testing equipment require calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 36
H Steps to Draw a CUSUM Chart with an Example Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
J Where to draw the line with Red Lining? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
J How to connect FMEA, Control Plan, G8d, 5Whys and Draw the pareto Nonconformance and Corrective Action 0
C Quality Manager and employee issues, where to draw the line? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
H ISO/TS 16949 Audit Schedule - How to draw up an audit schedule General Auditing Discussions 3
K How would one draw a turtle diagram for 'Control of nonconforming products' Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
S Linearity study - What is required to draw graph and make decison based on the graph Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
E SOP or system Work Instruction? Controlled Document - Where does one draw the line? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K Operating characteristic (OC) curve S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Distributions associated with Bathtub Curve Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
M Kaye Instrument 373 RTD Monitor Resistance Curve General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Application and differences of OC Curve and Acceptance Sampling Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F What is the best analysis for Growth Curve of Bacteria? Using Minitab Software 3
M What is the formula to create a bell curve? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 8
R Using Curve Fits and Predictions in place of good old Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Sunday Morning Curve Ball - Auditing Racing Stables or Similar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P Nonlinear Fit for a Complicated Curve - Fitting a Function to the Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Ron Rompen Assistance Needed in Calculation - How to extrapolate/calculate points on a curve Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
N Gauge Performance Curve - MSA Manual Page 181 (4th Edtion) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
bobdoering William A. Levinson speaks on When the Bell Curve Doesn?t Fit, Part 2: Non-Normality Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
Rameshwar25 Drawing a Gauge Performance Curve Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Drawing an OC Curve from a Sampling Plan - Student Problem Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Sidney Vianna AS9100 Revision C Transition - A curve ball AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Y Question from a practice paper while I was revising for an exam (OC curve) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Constructing an OC (Operating Characteristic) Curve for a Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Area Under the Curve of Skewed Distribution Six Sigma 1
C Complete ISO idiot on a steep learning curve - Quality Manual Review appreciated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Conceptual Questions on SPC - Operating characteristic curve of a control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
B How Can I Create a Bell curve in Excel 2007 Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
Q Curve Surface Roughness Measurement & Converting Ra to Rz General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Area under Standard Normal Curve (please help) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
E Lot Size vs. OC Curve (n,c) of a Continuous Data Collection Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Area Under Normal Curve between the Scores for z=2.20 and z=0.85 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C Is there any way to calculate the area under curve for large 'Z' values? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Process capability worksheet - how to create the Bell Curve? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
C How do I get a normal distribution curve in Excel? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 14
S How to Calculate the Area under the Normal Distribution Curve Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Assessment of Gauge Performance Curve Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Design DOE with restrictions - Best shape of a speed vs. time curve - Injection mould Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
N Help, how to "drawing" the Gage Performance Curve (GPC) in the long method? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Help me make a normal bell curve on my histogram Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Seeking: OC curve for CSP-1,CSP-2 and CSP-3 software - Or how to do one in Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Manix How can I add a Normal Distribution Bell Curve to an Excel Histogram? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 20
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7