How to establish Quality Objectives per TS 16949 Clause 5.4.1 Requirements

:agree:

According to 5.4.1 of TS16949 standard:
--Top management shall ensure that quality objectives, including those needed to meet requirements for production (see7.1 a), are established at relevant functions and levels within the organization. The quality objectives shall be measurable and consistent with the quality policy.

Our company identifies 32 processes as following,

Management Processes
M1: Management Responsibility
M2: Business Plan
M3: Internal Audit
M4: Management Review

Customer Oriented Processes
C1: Contract Review
C2: Enquiry processing
C3: Order / Forecast
C4: Process Design and Development
C5: Product and Process Verification
C6: Production and Planning
C7: Delivery
C8: Customer Feedback

Support Processes
S1: Document Control
S2: Control of records
S3: Training
S4: Infrastructure
S5: Change Control
S6: Purchasing
S7: Supplier Monitoring and Development
S8: Machine and Equipment Maintenance
S9: Tooling Management
S10: Identification and Traceability
S11: Customer Property
S12: Preservation of product
S13: Control of Inspection and Measuring Equipment
S14: Process Monitoring and Measurement
S15: Product Monitoring and Measurement
S16: Control of nonconforming product
S17: Data Analysis
S18: Corrective and Preventive Action
S19: Continual Improvement
S20: Customer Satisfaction

Our company set the quality objective as following,
1.CUSTOMER SATISFACTION:
CUSTOMER’S SATISFACTION ≥ 90 POINTS;
2.DELIVERY PERFORMANCE:
100% ON-TIME DELIVERY
3.DEFECTIVE RATE:
PARTS DEFECTIVE RATE ≤ 200 PPM
4. COST OF POOR QUALITY
COST OF POOR QUALITY ≤ 20,000 RMB/ MONTH

Our company also establishes KPI for some Section.

My problem is:
1. How to understand relevant functions and levels within the organization? It refers to section or process?
2. Need we establish objective for all 32 Process?
3. Need we establish objective for all section?
4. What is the relationship among quality objective/section objective/process objective and Company KPI?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
:agree:

According to 5.4.1 of TS16949 standard:
--Top management shall ensure that quality objectives, including those needed to meet requirements for production (see7.1 a), are established at relevant functions and levels within the organization. The quality objectives shall be measurable and consistent with the quality policy.

Our company identifies 32 processes as following,

Management Processes
M1: Management Responsibility
M2: Business Plan
M3: Internal Audit
M4: Management Review

Customer Oriented Processes
C1: Contract Review
C2: Enquiry processing
C3: Order / Forecast
C4: Process Design and Development
C5: Product and Process Verification
C6: Production and Planning
C7: Delivery
C8: Customer Feedback

Support Processes
S1: Document Control
S2: Control of records
S3: Training
S4: Infrastructure
S5: Change Control
S6: Purchasing
S7: Supplier Monitoring and Development
S8: Machine and Equipment Maintenance
S9: Tooling Management
S10: Identification and Traceability
S11: Customer Property
S12: Preservation of product
S13: Control of Inspection and Measuring Equipment
S14: Process Monitoring and Measurement
S15: Product Monitoring and Measurement
S16: Control of nonconforming product
S17: Data Analysis
S18: Corrective and Preventive Action
S19: Continual Improvement
S20: Customer Satisfaction

Our company set the quality objective as following,
1.CUSTOMER SATISFACTION:
CUSTOMER’S SATISFACTION ≥ 90 POINTS;
2.DELIVERY PERFORMANCE:
100% ON-TIME DELIVERY
3.DEFECTIVE RATE:
PARTS DEFECTIVE RATE ≤ 200 PPM
4. COST OF POOR QUALITY
COST OF POOR QUALITY ≤ 20,000 RMB/ MONTH

Our company also establishes KPI for some Section.

My problem is:
1. How to understand relevant functions and levels within the organization? It refers to section or process?
2. Need we establish objective for all 32 Process?
3. Need we establish objective for all section?
4. What is the relationship among quality objective/section objective/process objective and Company KPI?
Hi,
only on opinion of mine.
it seems to be too much to have 32 processes in your QMS.
Lots of them could not be considered as such, but only as activities ( I mean S17, S18 , S19 etc...). You can also think to embody some activities in an unique major process. I see nothing ,for example, related to new product /technology introduction
Each process can have indicators and objectives but they have to be functional to higher level quality objectives, based upon business plan and quality policy.
For instance, if you have production area with higher level of scrap, this indicator will be included in cost of poor quality as a subindicator ( or KPI) of an higher level KPI.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

Last edited:
R

ram4302

Hello

It is my suggestion.

You need to define the Organisation objectives that would address the customer expectations and requirements.

After that you can cascade into individual processes.

qusys

Hello

It is my suggestion.

You need to define the Organisation objectives that would address the customer expectations and requirements.

After that you can cascade into individual processes.
Consider that ISO TS clause is 5.4.1.1 ( in addition to 5.4.1 that is pertinent to ISO 9001) , in related note (not prescriptive), it is reported what you are saying as well as that the quality objectives should be reached within an established time frame:bigwave:

Last edited:

qusys

Thank you for your quick response.
Appreciated your thanks, Roseking.
I've changed my post for a typing. I would like to share with you that 32 processes seem too much in a QMS.I've seen many organizations and , generally speaking, they did not identify all these processes. I would like to highlight again that some of the identified processes by your organization could be considered activities or sub processes of an higher level process.
Thanks again and available for further discussion. I would like to hear the opinion of other Covers, expert in ISO TS as consultants:bigwave:

Last edited:
R

Rob Mcfee

Hi Rose

Great post, i see a lot of companies going down the road of trying to lots of processes, this always seems like a good approach when starting out but can be become extremely difficult to manage over time.

When defining processes think about the current departments you already have in your business. Try to define your processes around the organisational model and not around the requirements of the standard. A good process model should reflect your business and be unique to how your organisation functions. Ignore the standard, in fact put it in a draw and forget it exists, focus upon your business and how the major departments interface with each other, once you have defined these processes and interfaces then go back to the standard and look to see which processes are responsible for which requirements.

For example do you really have a identification and traceability process, is this the responsibility of any person within your organisation? You may well have a warehouse, maybe shipping and receiving, a production area etc. all these processes will have part of the responsibility for identification and traceability, but in itself it is unlikely it is a standa alone process.

Hi Rose

Great post, i see a lot of companies going down the road of trying to lots of processes, this always seems like a good approach when starting out but can be become extremely difficult to manage over time.

When defining processes think about the current departments you already have in your business. Try to define your processes around the organisational model and not around the requirements of the standard. A good process model should reflect your business and be unique to how your organisation functions. Ignore the standard, in fact put it in a draw and forget it exists, focus upon your business and how the major departments interface with each other, once you have defined these processes and interfaces then go back to the standard and look to see which processes are responsible for which requirements.

For example do you really have a identification and traceability process, is this the responsibility of any person within your organisation? You may well have a warehouse, maybe shipping and receiving, a production area etc. all these processes will have part of the responsibility for identification and traceability, but in itself it is unlikely it is a standa alone process.
Great explanation!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Raffy Do we need to establish Quality Objectives per department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
shimonv 21 CFR 820.20(d) says: Each manufacturer shall establish a Quality Plan 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T How to Establish Internal Quality Control Planning APQP and PPAP 4
G Quality Policy Requirements - Establish and implement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C How should I establish Quality Systems in my small company Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Z How to Establish Quality Manual Not Following the Structure of the Standard? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
Z How to Establish Quality Policy Based on Vision of Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
A Establish a New Quality System based on Lean - Starting A Late Career in Quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
Geoff Cotton Taguchi quality loss function - How do I establish the 'Consumer Loss' element? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
O How to establish Datum Planes with two cylinders? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
H How to Establish and Document Competence of Employees in a Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
K Historical Data to establish Control Limits Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Does "establish, implement and maintain a procedure" require a Document - OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
S How to establish a Sampling Plan from the Rework percentage? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
T To establish ISO 9001:2008 in a ISO 17025 accredited Company ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
G Characterization Studies: Analyzing Data to Establish Conclusions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
F FAA Letter of Need to establish Continuing Need Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
B Airbus to establish assembly line in United States AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
G NADCAP - How do I establish if a process is covered? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Establish a Documented Procedure (4.2.3) vs. Establish Process (7.6) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q How to Establish Microbiological Limits in Foods Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K How to establish critical limit for Critical Control Points (CCPs) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 7
L Criteria to Establish a Relevant Due Date for Closing Corrective Actions Internal Auditing 8
Z How to Establish a Process in Terms of more Added Value? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z Can we establish system documents with VIDEO or HUMAN? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T How to establish KPI Disposal and Follow Up Process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
C The organisation shall Establish, Implement & Maintain a Procedure(s)? ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 21
C Do I have to establish a software validation procedure? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
C How to establish a Design History file (DHF)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
R Anyone know how to establish one piece flow in apparel industry? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
M How to Establish criteria for acceptance of products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Ajit Basrur FDA on path to establish offices in China US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
H Is it possible to establish a new subforum for TL9000? TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 7
Q How can I Establish a New Medical Device Laboratory? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
Z How to Establish a TS 16949 QMS in an ISO 9001 Registered Company? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Z How to Establish Simple and Efficient Procedures and Operating Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
R What statistical method to establish a specification? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
T How to establish the 4M (Man Machine Method Material) change control Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
C How to establish an effective ISO/TS16949 System? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A How to establish linkage between specs/control plan/FMEA/process flow? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Douglas E. Purdy Acceptability of Perishable Tooling - How do you establish the standards/requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
apestate Job Shop Inspection and Test - Where should we establish inspections? Why? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
D Imaging/Image Quality Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Quality Team Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
C Quality assurance in Pharmacovigilance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0