How to Estimate the Number of Replicates on a DOE (Design of Experiments)

J

Jparfer

Hi there!

How can I calculate the number of replic i need to do in order to arrive to good conclusions and to get all the variability of the process?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The answer is yes, but you will probably need a good software package. You need an estimate of the process standard deviation, the effect size that you wish to detect, as well as the alpha risk and power. Minitab has an easy to use Power and sample size calculator.

If you do not have a software package try this online ANOVA sample size calculator. You will have to go at it in a trial an error approach and the answer will be approximate, but should be close enough.

J

Jparfer

Yes, I?m using Minitab software

I have this menu, but i have some doubts in how to fill some fields:

Number of corner points: I think that is the numer of corners in the cube. For example, in a complete 2^3 = 8, and in a complete 2^4=16

Effects: I have no idea of how to fill it.

Can someone help me in this and give me the formula to stimate it?

Thanks!

S

supreecha

Power and Sample Size

Plackett-Burman Design

Alpha = 0.05 Assumed standard deviation = 0.5

Factors: 4 Design: 12
Center pts (total): 3

Including a term for center points in model.

Center Total Target
Points Effect Reps Runs Power Actual Power
3 0.75 2 27 0.9 0.938420
3 0.75 2 27 0.8 0.938420
3 0.75 2 27 0.7 0.938420
3 0.75 1 15 0.6 0.639023
3 0.75 1 15 0.5 0.639023
3 0.75 1 15 0.3 0.639023
3 0.75 1 15 0.2 0.639023
3 0.75 1 15 0.1 0.639023

Power Curve for Plackett-Burman Design

Attachments

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Number of corner points: You are correct. This is the number of experimental runs, excluding replicates and center points.

Effect: this is set by you. How large or small of a process shift do you want to detect? It should be large enough that your boss would get excited and be willing to fund more experiments. Also, if this number is set to 1 standard deviation or smaller, the sample size rapidly increases.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Is there a difference in the process? Analyze residuals, construct interval estimate Using Minitab Software 2
S Least squares estimate, regression model and corresponding residuals Using Minitab Software 13
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
0 The Uncertainty of an Estimate of the Bias ISO 5725-1 - Help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
B Interpretation of Hodges-Lehmann's estimate of tau Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Z How to estimate Uncertainty for Instrumental Results Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
I Cpk < 1.33 - How do I estimate actual defects? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Q Quick ISO-TS 16949 Electronic Copy Cost Estimate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E How to Estimate the Time of GTAW and FCAW Welding Procedures? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Z Estimate Spread of Tolerance Stackup for each Dimension to Cp Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Gage R&R estimate of confidence interval Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M How do I estimate sigma level for my workshop? Six Sigma 14
P Cost Estimate for how many hours to measure a part (Full first artcle) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A How Can I Estimate Cp? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Adding the Notified Body Number CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q LOT or Serial Number Symbol not used when the information is contained in the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Proud Liberal Power Query to combine multiple tables of unequal number of columns Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Q How is Medical Device Number (MDL) assigned to companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D EUDAMED Single Registration Number (SRN) - How to get it? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational US FDA – Modifications to the List of Recognized Standards, Recognition List Number: 052 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
I Number of decimals in equation calculated by MiniTab Using Minitab Software 0
F 2017/745 Article 31 Single Registration Number Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
Z Do we still have to put UDI if we have DI and lot number seperately on our product ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Z Two Payment Identification Number (PIN) for the same order in DFUF website 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Ed Panek GTIN (Global Trade Item Number) for non CE Mark Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A The latest revision number and changes in automotive core tools IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Belgium - How do I get an enterprise CBE Number Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Informational USFDA – FDA Modernization Act of 1997: Modifications to the List of Recognized Standards, Recognition List Number: 051 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S How to number and control translated SOPs - Three languages Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Calculate number of people in processes, considering cycle time/takt time = quantity of people Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
A Doubt on multiple inspection carrying out for same balloon number during Stage Inspection and Final Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K Relabeling or Not Relabeling - Adding our internal Part Number barcode label 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
lilybef Number of lots required for stability testing of a Class II device in the 510(k) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
J DoE - Number of runs in Plackett-Burman (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 2
G Heat Number on CofC - Stainless steel tube Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q What tier number fits in a company producing paper labels stuck on automotive parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Medical Device News TGA Consultation: Changes to a number of definitions and the scope of the medical device regulatory framework in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Question on very low NDC number with tolerable GRR ratio's Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
S Is Lot Number required in addition to UDI serial number? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
T Change control and configuration management - When to create a new model/part number? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
D IMDS for machining - Can my customer request a IMDS number for a part? APQP and PPAP 2
shimonv GTIN Number on the Packaging of a Serviced Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W Is the RPN (risk priority number) in the PFMEA really a RPN without the detectability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
M How to count the number of employees? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0