How to fill a Process FMEA - Three columns - Severity, occurrence and Detection

Hello,

I have a doubt regarding how to fulfill a PFMEA. there are three colums, severity, occurrence and Detection.
Severity is clear.
Occurrence ussually is a 5 in case you don't have real numbers.
Detection: In case I apply a poka-yoke...then what colum have decreased? Occurrence because is something that you have avoid to happen, or Detection because you detect 100%?

Another question...in case we have more than 1 way to detect the issue for the same problem...then I have to put all of them in the same row? Or should I create more than one? For me have more sense the first option.

Please let me know!!

Thanks,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
Sorry for not responding directly to your request, but are you before or after FMEA training?
What I find very impressive so far, you have no problem with severity, what requires good understanding of how your product interacts with counterpart and its function to determine consequences of your product failure to final user.

Golfman25

The AIAG manual for PFMEA should clearly state how to calculate each row. When I was doing them years ago, it was pretty cut and dried.
The problem with the aiag manual is its examples are limited to end users of autos. Not a lot of help when you make some non-descript component.

hello Sebastian,

Thanks for your promt reply, let me try to explain myself a bit better.
I know quite well the values I should use for each issue. My question is how to apply in case we have more than 1 way to detect in several ways the same problem...then, I have to put all of the methids in the same row? Or should I create more than one? For me have more sense the first option.

For example:
Problem: Material too heavy
Occurency: X (i.e. 5)
For detection, we use a automatic machine that stops the process --> Detection 3 (for example)
In adition to this, we also use a second operator to do 100% checking afterwards --> Detection 5 (for example).

Then, I will have diferent grades of RPN for the very same problem, and the actions done are both to solve the same problem. Why should I add another corrective action if I already applied the first action?
Should I put both actions in the same row?

Thanks,

Sebastian

It is a pity you have not answered my question. Let it be that way.
Examples in AIAG FMEA manual show all prevention and detection activities combine in one cell and with common rank. I do not see any problem in dividing actions on individual rows, what helps team developing control plan to discrim them much easily. What have to be assured in this layout - action column for higher rank activities have to include clarification for non recommending any actions e.g. "no action required due to lower rank activities in place".

It is a pity you have not answered my question. Let it be that way.
Examples in AIAG FMEA manual show all prevention and detection activities combine in one cell and with common rank. I do not see any problem in dividing actions on individual rows, what helps team developing control plan to discrim them much easily. What have to be assured in this layout - action column for higher rank activities have to include clarification for non recommending any actions e.g. "no action required due to lower rank activities in place".
helo Sebastian, thanks for your help. Then, how can I get the AIAG FMEA manual? Or, at least, the examples you have mentioned? It could be really helpful.

Also, I have another doubt regarding Poka-Yoke solutions. Imagine you have to assembly 2 different elements in an assembly machine. You can put one of them on the wrong orientation (180º). But, you cannot assembly it because there is a poka-yoke from the part desing, so you will not be able to fianlly assemble them together.
Then...how to specify it on the PFMEA? I have several options, let's see:
a)
-Issue: "To assembly the parts in a wrong orientation"
-Severity: 4 (Appearence in customer)
-Occurrence: 0 (because it cannot happen from the design)
-Detection: 0 (100% of the times because it cannot happen)
b)
-Issue: "Try to assembly the parts in the opposite orientation"
-Severity: 2 (Minor disruption during process, because the operator will realise this cannot be assembly and will change it)
-Ocurrence: 5 (because the issue is to try to assemble)
-Detection: 1 (100% of the times)

Please let me know what do your think about!

Thanks in advance!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Media fill filters and the Media fill filtration process Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
F How to fill out an Appearance Approval Report (AAR) APQP and PPAP 0
R Specific ISO requirement to fill in all spaces on a move tag? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
A IRCA Application Form Fill - Guidance ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 22
N How to fill out Form 3654 for Material Conformity 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
bobdoering Thanks to those that tried to fill the void Covegratulations 2
P Is it a rule to fill in all the 5 why in order to get the actual root cause? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
L Scope of TS16949 for Aftermarket Product and a Service Fill Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B How to QC Small Micro-Fill Volumes in Amber Vials Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
E How to write an Aseptic Media Fill Validation Document Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Setting Solid Dose Drug Fill Count Ranges Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
K How to fill out an SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) form at Ford? APQP and PPAP 3
J Can you use pencil to sign documents, fill out forms, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 52
N Can we use a black pen to sign documents, fill out forms, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
J AWS D17.1:2001 Fill In Form Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
B Can we fill-up blank field or alter information on the records? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Class I Sterile Application-TGA - What application form do we need to fill in? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
M Macro to fill up columns when shorter then others Using Minitab Software 4
D How do I Auto fill colour on excel if certain risk criteria is met on PFMEA? Help! Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
B How to fill s/c and c/c in DFMEA (Design FMEA)? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
D Average fill label - "e" Mark, probably a UK specific requirement. Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
I Must Quality Incoming fill the checksheet for checking the Supplier part, In ISO TS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R ECO (Engineering Change Order) Question for all experts (fill the blanks) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M APQP application examples - I need APQP forms and guide how to fill the forms APQP and PPAP 3
D How to fill in the columns of a PFMEA for pure measuring processes? FMEA and Control Plans 16
ScottK What's the longest supplier self survey you've had to fill out? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 34
G When do you need to fill Team Feasibility Commitment? APQP and PPAP 14
T 6-panel report explained? How to fill out a "good" 6-panel report Six Sigma 14
M Percent recycle versus land fill benchmark - What percentage are you at? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S Training Evaluation Form - Evaluator feel difficulty to fill this form Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
M Chrysler 7 Step Corrective Action form - how to fill it out? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
D Instructions for Forms - How do people know what to mark and fill in? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 4
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4