How to give a score/yield more correctly to my suppliers

Hello Friends

I have a dilemma of how to gave a score/yield more correctly to my suppliers because based on that their work is depending.
Several issues to consider:

1. Each supplier has a different number of supplied orders per quarter
2.Each supplier has a different amount of nonconforming reports per quarter

How should I correctly calculate the yield of each supplier?
Should I use RTY calculation to multiply a monthly yields in order to get the final one?
Should I normalize the calculation let say amount on nonconforming reports per 1000 orders

Please your avice

Thank you

Oleg

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Oleg,

Why would you want to numerically score your suppliers? What do you mean by "yield"? What defines a "non conforming report"?

If you score your suppliers "per 1000 orders" you will grossly distort your low volume suppliers and run into the exact same problem of using PPM.

Whenever I speak to manufacturing or admin on supplier performance I get responses related to quality but more often than not it's delivery times, delivery performance, lead time, customer service performance (how easy are they to get in contact with, do they have the knowledge to answer our questions on their products, response times)minimum order quantities.

In regards to the calculations I think you are gathering categorical data and I don't think you can manipulate it as you are describing. I hope someone else better versed in statistics can clarify and help you on what to do with your data.

First of all
Thank you for you answer
non conforming report - when after an inspection of the shipment we find some deviation from the customer drawing we open the report
Yield - I divide the number of reports/number of shipments

After a Yield calculation
if the number is less then 75% it means i need to perform some action with the supplier
Corrective actions
I just want to be sure that my calculation are correct
and i can use RTY method

Johnny Quality

Why is 75% a trigger?

If a supplier makes one delivery in a quarter and you produce a non conforming report which for arguments sake costs $3,000 you have to perform action...which is what exactly?

If another supplier makes eight deliveries and you product two non conforming reports which for arguments sake costs $30,000 as their parts are more valuable you let it slide?

75% Our corporate request for supplier quality yield
Action from my side might be an audit or requesting of a correct action

The cost that mentioned are not relevant the founds will be retuned after i send the goods back.(RTV)

Johnny Quality

And what about the costs to your companies time? Lost production? Downtime due to waiting material? Storage costs for the goods? Inspection time?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello Friends

I have a dilemma of how to gave a score/yield more correctly to my suppliers because based on that their work is depending.
Several issues to consider:

1. Each supplier has a different number of supplied orders per quarter
2.Each supplier has a different amount of nonconforming reports per quarter

How should I correctly calculate the yield of each supplier?
Should I use RTY calculation to multiply a monthly yields in order to get the final one?
Should I normalize the calculation let say amount on nonconforming reports per 1000 orders

Please your avice

Thank you

Oleg
Hi, Oleg - welcome to the cove.

We keep track of performance by line items. Quality performance is reported as the number of line items accepted as a percentage of total line items received. On time delivery is reported as the number of line items on time as a percentage of total line items received.

We use the actual number of line items, rather than "per 1000" or PPM, for the exact reason Johnny referred to - we have lots of low volume suppliers due to the fact that we make one-off tooling.

Do your suppliers provide production quantities of stuff where "per 1000" or PPM would make sense?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A ISO 2859-1 - 9.3.3.2 Switching score - Sampling Plans and PPM AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
A PFMEA severity score different applications FMEA and Control Plans 11
S Supplier Evaluation - Is a supplier score card a requirement under ISO and QSR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C What is an Airbus Industrial Process Control Assessment (IPCA) Audit Passing Score General Auditing Discussions 1
C Visual Presentation of Supplier Score - .xls Spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
M Is there a calculation in Net Promoter Score (NPS) ? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Q Ford's Q1 Score Prediction Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
T Response to ISO 17025 Proficiency Test z score ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
S Supplier Disruption Score and how to calculate it Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
J How do you score (rate) your suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 33
E Detectability score in a use-related FMEA IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
V Definition Z Score - What is Z-score? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
E Inter-Laboratory Proficiency Testing Result Analysis - z Score or Normalized Error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Does Debt Consolidation Really Help Your Credit Score? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
H Supplier Monthly Performance Score Card - Please Review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R ASQ CQE Practice Exam - Do I need to score very well to pass? Professional Certifications and Degrees 17
H Score Calculator for WORLD CUP of 2010 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
U Calculate Z-Score for Non-Normal Data - I have two set of data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
N Score One for the Team - I had to ball up and tell the bosses Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
A Score capability of measurement of gauge Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
DanteCaspian 5S Workplace Average for those that score 5 S Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
P QC Quality Circles - Assessement Score Card for Team Effectiveness Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
A Difference between Z score & COV? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Sampling Plans - ISO 2859-1: 1999 - How to calculate the switching score? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A How to calculate weights for customer satisfaction score? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
A Net Promoter Score (NPS) for Analyzing the Client Satisfaction Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Improving our ISO 9004 score with respect to Natural Resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Autoline Detroit unveils its first Automotive Supplier Score Card World News 0
Stijloor Looking for a "Balanced Score Card" training program for small businesses. Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
ScottK Z-Score question: Is this Z related to the normal distribution Z values? Six Sigma 3
N Linking BSC (Balanced Score Card) with Six Sigma Six Sigma 18
W What condition is your company in, if you score 3.0? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
W How do you Objectively Score an Internal Audit? Internal Auditing 23
A Is there an established RPN number or score for a DFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 1
C Automotive OEM Score Card Templates - Supplier performance measurement tool Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 18
A Balance score card ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Process and system auditing - numerical score methods General Auditing Discussions 3
D How to Calculate Z Score Values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Balanced Score Card - Using this method for performance measurement Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
E 21 CFR 211.103 Calculation of Yield Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
R Yield Plot for different groupings Using Minitab Software 3
N Accurate calculations of First Time Quality / First Time Yield Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
P Is throughput yield the same as FPY or FTY? Rolled Throughput Yield Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
F Yield reaction higher than 100% Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Validation of Predictive Models of Yield Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
B Machine Shop Yield and Cost - Productivity, Yield and Absorption Performance Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T First Pass Yield - Welding Process Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How to begin tracking FPY (First Pass Yield) and "Downtime" tracking Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) applies to different industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 1