How to go about becoming an IRCA Certified Auditor?

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
I'm sure there must be threads on this, but a search yielded none.

Just wondering how other auditors have gone about getting the necessary audit experience (outside their own companies) for IRCA certification...I mean, is there a consortium of sorts out there somewhere that helps wannabees gain the needed hands-on time?

Could someone please point me to the thread or perhaps share (some) of your story? I already have the accredited training and ongoing internal audit experience, but I want more...

:thanx: Thanks in advance...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: How to go about becoming IRCA certified?

I'm sure there must be threads on this, but a search yielded none.

Just wondering how other auditors have gone about getting the necessary audit experience (outside their own companies) for IRCA certification...I mean, is there a consortium of sorts out there somewhere that helps wannabees gain the needed hands-on time?

Could someone please point me to the thread or perhaps share (some) of your story? I already have the accredited training and ongoing internal audit experience, but I want more...

:thanx: Thanks in advance...

I don't have an answer for you, but I thought is was amusing, and possibly a little frightening, that the IRCA website indicates that more than 50% of applicants for certification can't follow simple, explicit instructions:
Over 50% of applicants do not complete the application form correctly, or do not provide all the supporting information we need.

We're doomed, I tell you.

AndyN

Moved On

I don't believe there's anybody who can specifically assist. As an ex IRCA auditor (some time ago, now) I can tell you that my experience fits in with my lfe experience that Brits (I am one) aren't very 'customer oriented'. I had all kinds of problems with my certification/recertification. IS there a reason to use them over the RAB-QSA?

Andy

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

I don't have an answer for you, but I thought is was amusing, and possibly a little frightening, that the IRCA website indicates that more than 50% of applicants for certification can't follow simple, explicit instructions:
We're doomed, I tell you.
Watch out, Jim. Many moons ago, when I mentioned that a significant percentage of the auditor pool is IQ-challenged, I was lambasted. To be fair, I used a non-politically-correct term at the time. :lol:

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator

I don't believe there's anybody who can specifically assist. As an ex IRCA auditor (some time ago, now) I can tell you that my experience fits in with my lfe experience that Brits (I am one) aren't very 'customer oriented'. I had all kinds of problems with my certification/recertification. IS there a reason to use them over the RAB-QSA?

Andy

Well, there's not any "specific" reason to use IRCA over the RAB-QSA. It's been my understanding that IRCA certification is a bit easier to obtain than is RAB-QSA, unless something has changed. The training course that I successfully passed is accredited to both IRCA and RAB-QSA.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

Well, there's not any "specific" reason to use IRCA over the RAB-QSA. It's been my understanding that IRCA certification is a bit easier to obtain than is RAB-QSA, unless something has changed. The training course that I successfully passed is accredited to both IRCA and RAB-QSA.

Gidget,

Go with RAB-QSA, it might be more valuable for you in the long run, in my opinion. :magic:

Randy

Super Moderator

Why and what for?

What is your purpose for seeking certification? Self gratification or career enhancement?

J

JRKH

Try your local ASQ...

Here in the Cincinnati area they started an auditing consortium (sp?) to help folks with getting audit hours for their certifications. Local companies could call on these folks to do free, pre-audits. The lead auditor would be someone already certified and the auditors would be those like yourself trying to get certified.

Might be worth checking into.

James

AndyN

Moved On

Why and what for?

What is your purpose for seeking certification? Self gratification or career enhancement?

Good point, Randy!

Unless anyone is going to make a wage from being a certified auditor, then my advice would be don't bother! It's a lot of cost (not to mention the paperwork) and then, if you struggle to make the required number of audits and/or cpd hours, you'll either be downgraded or lose it.

My beef was that when they verify your audit log, they have no system to track folks down. So, if you audited an org. and the contact is no longer there to verify your claim, (over two years later) then it won't count as experience!

Andy

B

BSMITH

Good point, Randy!

Unless anyone is going to make a wage from being a certified auditor, then my advice would be don't bother! It's a lot of cost (not to mention the paperwork) and then, if you struggle to make the required number of audits and/or cpd hours, you'll either be downgraded or lose it.

My beef was that when they verify your audit log, they have no system to track folks down. So, if you audited an org. and the contact is no longer there to verify your claim, (over two years later) then it won't count as experience!

Andy

RABQSA had so many complaints about that very issue that they started verifying audits as part of the annual evlauation instead of waiting to the 3 year mark. They also now ask for e-mail addresses, in addition to FAX numbers, addresses, and telphone numbers. Over time things have improved to a degree.

Top Bottom