How to Handle Documented Information in an online database for ISO 9001:2015

Hello,

I require some clarification of how to handle some documents to meet the ISO 9001:2015 standard. We just became ISO certified last year, so our company is still very new to this. All of our documentation when we started was in Excel or Word formats. However, in the past year, we have transitioned the majority of our forms into an online database system called Quick Base. Our first renewal audit is coming up, and I want to make sure that I am still compliant, but not doing too much work when it comes to these documents.

So essentially we have an online database where all of our forms are created and completed now. If changes are made, it is immediate, and everyone always has the current version of the form. All records are stored in the same database. I had previously been advised that these forms were no longer required to be part of our documented information process. I am trying to confirm is this is true.

Essentially, I was told that because there is no real revision history and that everyone has the most recent version at all times they don't need to be included on my master document list. This list contains all of our documents and their revision history (and is also stored in the database system) along with where they are stored, and who is responsible for changes.

So I want to confirm that once the form has been moved into the database it can be removed from my list. If this is not the case, how should I handle changes to these forms as they occur.

We are still freshly in this new software, so changes occur frequently as we decide we need new fields added to the forms. So I need to be sure that I am tracking this all correctly.

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I would see if your database can make a list. If so, I would remove the form from your normal list and just make reference to the database list. No reason to have two lists.

Sorry, I don't think you understood the question. I do only have one master list.

If a form is stored, maintained, and filled out within software, is it required to be on that list? Is it considered to be a controlled document?

Golfman25

Sorry, I don't think you understood the question. I do only have one master list.

If a form is stored, maintained, and filled out within software, is it required to be on that list? Is it considered to be a controlled document?
I understood the question. Can you print me a list of forms in your database? If so you can probably remove from your written list.

Ok. I see what you are saying, I guess I did not understand your answer. I would say the answer is not really. The software is table based. So each form resides on its own table. While I am able to print a list of the tables in the application it doesn't designate which are forms.

Although, I suppose that every table is truly a form. Let me try to explain this a little bit better so I know that I'm getting an accurate answer. I've been going back and forth on this one for a while.

So the easiest way for me to describe this is to use Excel as an example since it's the most widely known. Essentially I have what is called a table, similar to a workbook in excel. I set up the fields I want on the form, and lay them out in the order I want (see screenshot 1 for a picture of a form). As people fill out this form it creates a new record which would be the same as a row in excel. These records can be viewed individually or in a report (view screenshot 2 for a picture of the report). If we need to add a new field to the form, it takes a few minutes to do so, and once it's done everyone has the current version of the form immediately. There is no keeping track of who has what copy of which version (it's amazing).

So the form is not given a document number or revision tracking as I would have previously done with excel forms. So I suppose a list of tables would serve as a list of forms as well. However, as we add new fields to these forms, am I supposed to be keeping track of who requested the change, and why it was added? The answer I received before was that because everyone has the most recent version of the form right away there is no reason to keep the revision history, and therefore they don't have to be in document control.

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Last edited:

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Have you looked at all of the requirements of clause 7.5 to verify that they are being met? For example:
- When changes are made to forms how do you ensure that they are reviewed and approved for suitability and adequacy (7.5.2c)?
- Are the forms and records adequately protected from improper use or loss of integrity (7.5.3.1)?
- Have you addressed version control of changes (7.5.3.2c)?

Golfman25

Ok. I see what you are saying, I guess I did not understand your answer. I would say the answer is not really. The software is table based. So each form resides on its own table. While I am able to print a list of the tables in the application it doesn't designate which are forms.

Although, I suppose that every table is truly a form. Let me try to explain this a little bit better so I know that I'm getting an accurate answer. I've been going back and forth on this one for a while.

So the easiest way for me to describe this is to use Excel as an example since it's the most widely known. Essentially I have what is called a table, similar to a workbook in excel. I set up the fields I want on the form, and lay them out in the order I want (see screenshot 1 for a picture of a form). As people fill out this form it creates a new record which would be the same as a row in excel. These records can be viewed individually or in a report (view screenshot 2 for a picture of the report). If we need to add a new field to the form, it takes a few minutes to do so, and once it's done everyone has the current version of the form immediately. There is no keeping track of who has what copy of which version (it's amazing).

So the form is not given a document number or revision tracking as I would have previously done with excel forms. So I suppose a list of tables would serve as a list of forms as well. However, as we add new fields to these forms, am I supposed to be keeping track of who requested the change, and why it was added? The answer I received before was that because everyone has the most recent version of the form right away there is no reason to keep the revision history, and therefore they don't have to be in document control.

View attachment 19767

View attachment 19768
Again, I would just want to know what "forms" are in the data base. If there is a list of files/forms/worksheets, etc. then I would use that list and not have it on a separate master list of documents.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

View attachment 19767

View attachment 19768
The manual of your online database may be a good place to start with. There may rights given for use only and modify only for the forms structure. There is always a date control for the forms as I understand. Look out to see if there is a provision for narration entry for the person who has modify / create rights. If not, as your service provider of the online database to make provision. I hope you have some answer in this..... Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I How to handle pending FSN when incident happens? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Jimmy123 Process disturbances and the repair - How do you handle this risk in your company? FMEA and Control Plans 18
GoSpeedRacer How to handle operator involvement in the non conformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
oldqamanager How will you handle Clause 6.1 - Risks and Opportunities for AS9100 Rev. D Auditors? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 22
V Systems to Handle Development and Batch Analysis in same Laboratory Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
dubrizo How do you handle damaged IM&TE in your organization? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D MDD Classification of Bone Saw Handle ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
1 How to handle Nononformances in Clincal Manufacturing ? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
R How do we handle Training during transition and overlap from one system to other ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q How to handle different voltages for different countries Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A How to handle complaints after end of specified medical device life-time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M How does Australia handle products that are EU PPE, but Australia Medical Devices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
C How to handle this Inspection conflict? Second Shift Inspector? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q How to handle customer request for changing specifications 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T How to handle Demo Units during an ISO 9001 Audit General Auditing Discussions 3
C ISO 9001 Nonconformances an how to handle them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D How to handle a blood stained GMP document ? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
T How to handle 510(K) submisison in 2014 when the Fees were paid in FY13 ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
C How to handle Action Results in a new FMEA Review once we have a new RPN? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
J Quality Procedure to handle some standard Medical Device Processes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L How to handle a Business Shutdown - Business Dissolution 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Plan & Procedure to handle a Product that's being Withdrawn from the Market 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Can you handle passivated parts without wearing gloves? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A How to handle the various Document Revisions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N How to handle Quality and Safety Deficiencies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Client that refuses to help - How to handle ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
C How to handle Outsourcing with Same Site - Separate Cert ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B How to handle Medical Device Emergency Software Releases Software Quality Assurance 4
B How to handle/follow supervisor and department head with different supervisory style? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
Z If this is a Nonconforming Product (Service) under clause 8.3? How do we handle it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Responsibility of Distributor for Customer Complaints - How should we handle this Customer Complaints 5
R How to Handle 'Scrap and Replace' of Non-Conforming Products Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Upper Management makes changes to a report - How do I handle this? Six Sigma 12
J SOP for How to Handle an Investigation wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J AS9100 C - 7.5.1.3 - How do you handle Production Equipment Maintenance? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M How to handle the task of Organizing a Regulatory File Room Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V ISO 26262 - How to handle OEM ASIL A (Automotive Software Integrity Requirements) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M How to handle Rejections of a Internal NCR event Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
G Manufacturing Process Subcontracted - How do I handle Cl. 7.5? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
P How to handle Out of Tolerance during Calibrations and exceeded Alert Action Limits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M The importance of Document Control? How do you handle your Document Control? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R How do you handle 'Contaminated Wood Pallets'? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
L Quality Objectives - How various device companies handle "Quality Objectives" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A How does your registrar handle 2 certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
Le Chiffre Great article on how to handle continuous improvement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
E Validity of ISO 9001:2000 Certificates - How to handle supplier ISO 9001 certificates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L How do you handle missing information? People seem to "forget" to enter information Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 148
S How do you handle environmental excursions (deviations)? Medical device company Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2