SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

How to handle Outsourcing with Same Site - Separate Cert

C

cshumway

Since this is my first post (I have been lurking for months) I will introduce myself. I took over as Quality Manager In April of this year after the previous Manager was fired. I have been an ISO 9001:2008 internal Auditor for a couple years but this has been a new ballgame.

We made it through our first external audit with me as Manager and came out with only a couple suggestions! One was that we treat our purchasing and customer service processes as outsourced processes. To explain this is one site with two ISO 9001:2008 certifications. Let's say a Main Plant and a Secondary Plant. I am the Secondary Plant. The Main handles all of the purchasing / customer service. The Main has Divisional Procedures for those departments (Which I reference those in my Quality Manual), the Main also conducts yearly internal audits of these processes and the Secondary also send auditors there yearly. The external auditor goes to the Main every six months and to the Secondary annually.

To treat these as outsourced processes, would it be sufficient to state in my quality manual that these are outsourced, have the audits (internal and external) conducted by the Main plant sent to me for review (as a way to control the process), and stop the Secondary audits of these processes. Also then remove the measurements that the Secondary plant has for these processes. Auditing these processes twice a year feels like we are :deadhorse:

Thanks for the help on this topic and many many many others.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

William_55401

Welcome! I think you are on the right track with your plan. The only suggestion I would have is to ensure your site also participates in management review at the Main so you have visibility to how they view the performance of the Purchasing and Customer Service processes that you rely on. This demonstrates a close connection between the sites. Good luck!

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Main or secondary is only for you within your internal management. For the CB, when they audit you, they will simply need to see what controls you exercise on the outsourced entity (The Main) that meets your purchasing requirements.
So all your interactions that you do with the Main in terms of purchasing activity, (evaluation and selection / purchasing communication / supplier corrective actions when necessary / inspection, acceptance of supplied parts) must have your grip and directions that you can demonstrate. These become your live control over purchasing process which is outsourced.
You do not have to audit them, if you do not say that your audit is one of your way to exercise control over the main on purchasing. The main plant being an ISO9001 certified is in itself a good step in right control direction.
Likewise for your customer service also .....
Identify and document what specific controls you have put in place (jointly with the main plant participation) for each of these processes to be working well and good for you. Be able to show / demonstrate these with appropriate records.
The Main has Divisional Procedures for those departments (Which I reference those in my Quality Manual),
Why do you want to do that and complicate your documentation when it does not belong to you. The main plant being ISO9001 assures that they have decent procedures for purchasing and customer service, which you have found good to be outsourcing on them these processes.
The only suggestion I would have is to ensure your site also participates in management review at the Main so you have visibility to how they view the performance of the Purchasing and Customer Service processes that you rely on. This demonstrates a close connection between the sites.
I am not sure if you can get into the management review process of the main plant. But for the controls needed on outsourcing, this may be a far reach and not really needed from your QMS view point.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Super Moderator
I see no benefit to you as a company to treat this as outsourcing. Their may be some benefit to the auditor (easier to audit?).

Unless you see how you can benefit from it, simply remember that suggestions (including observations and opportunities for improvement) and just suggestions. You do not need to respond to them. As a courtesy to the auditor, and showing respect for his ideas, show in a management review that they were discussed but determined that they were of no benefit. Auditors tend to be somewhat offended if you simply ignore their suggestions.

If you see benefit from the suggestions, then by all means see it through.

D

dksfwmcc

For me the last reply is spot on.

As it is a suggestion stand back & look at how any change will benefit both your (secondary) plant & the company as a whole.

Then either do, or do not do something.

If after careful considerations you are not going to do anything I would strongly advise that you email your auditor with your response explaining why not (as you would do with a minor/major finding). Although not actually required it often shows the auditor you are pro-actively considering their points & not just 'doing nothing as you have not had time' come the next external audit. Thi sapproach tends to make subsequent audits run much more smoothly.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
We made it through our first external audit with me as Manager and came out with only a couple suggestions! One was that we treat our purchasing and customer service processes as outsourced processes.
Dear cshumway ...
Can you tell us here how the external audit of purchasing and customer service processes went about in your first external audit, before the suggestions were made .... ?

C

cshumway

Firstly I'd like to apologize that it has been months since I looked at the wonderful responses that everyone provided. Please forgive me on the delay, as other duties at work have prevented me from focusing on this. But I will have the focus now..
When the external auditor comes he audits both the main and secondary plants at the same 2 day time frame. The main plant gets audited 2 times a year and the secondary only 1 time. So depending on what he has audited before he will only hit D&D/Purchasing/Customer Service once. When he does audit them he goes in with a general mindset of both plants.

When I took over this system the Secondary and Main had separate procedures for those processes but utilized the same personnel in those departments. So the secondary/main have different ways to handle customer complaints (depending on who takes them) to me there is mass confusion on how to handle certain things that arise.

To handle our joint D&D/Purchasing/Customer Service I could treat them as outsourced, be included in the internal audits/MGMT reviews. The main plant would be responsible for keeping those areas informed about their metrics along with scheduling the internal audits. Currently those processes are audited internally 3 times a year (for really no reason, they don't provide more issues that necessary). I feel like in areas where there is this overlap we should simplify this. But how exactly do I handle it with my secondary (separate cert) site? State in the quality manual that the main plant handles the procedures for these? Or am I again totally off base?

S

sadamson

Hi I am in the same predicament.

We are a medical store that procures, stores and distributes products. We are ISO 9001 certified.

We have now outsourced the warehousing and distribution function. Procurement / finance / QA / overall management stays with the store.

My question is how does the outsourcing fit into our QMS.

For example: Document control and SOP's

Do we insist that our current SOP's are to be used and that the outsourced body can modify but that the changes, structure of the documents and the control of such are done through the store management or do we let them have their own system.

My concern with the latter is that there are a lot of interactions between the store and the outsourced body e.g invoices flow between receiving and finance department. To follow the process one would have to look at their SOP up to a certain point and then look at the stores SOP to continue the process of invoice payment.

It may also arise that if the outsourced body makes changes the store may not know and vice verse and soon there would be a bit of a mess. How would we know that they comply with ISO requirements without extensive audits?

Same with training / auditing / corrective action / strategy development etc. Do we insist that the outsourced body fits into our QMS or do we insist that they develop their own QMS?

I would appreciate guidance, thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Different Indications for Use in Different Countries -- how to handle IFU? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
K How to handle GTINs for different configurations of one device with one part number? Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
I How to handle pending FSN when incident happens? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Jimmy123 Process disturbances and the repair - How do you handle this risk in your company? FMEA and Control Plans 18
GoSpeedRacer How to handle operator involvement in the non conformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A How to Handle Documented Information in an online database for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
O How will you handle Clause 6.1 - Risks and Opportunities for AS9100 Rev. D Auditors? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 22
V Systems to Handle Development and Batch Analysis in same Laboratory Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
dubrizo How do you handle damaged IM&TE in your organization? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D MDD Classification of Bone Saw Handle ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
1 How to handle Nononformances in Clincal Manufacturing ? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
R How do we handle Training during transition and overlap from one system to other ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q How to handle different voltages for different countries Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A How to handle complaints after end of specified medical device life-time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M How does Australia handle products that are EU PPE, but Australia Medical Devices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
C How to handle this Inspection conflict? Second Shift Inspector? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q How to handle customer request for changing specifications 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T How to handle Demo Units during an ISO 9001 Audit General Auditing Discussions 3
C ISO 9001 Nonconformances an how to handle them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D How to handle a blood stained GMP document ? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
T How to handle 510(K) submisison in 2014 when the Fees were paid in FY13 ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
C How to handle Action Results in a new FMEA Review once we have a new RPN? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
J Quality Procedure to handle some standard Medical Device Processes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L How to handle a Business Shutdown - Business Dissolution 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Plan & Procedure to handle a Product that's being Withdrawn from the Market 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Can you handle passivated parts without wearing gloves? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A How to handle the various Document Revisions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N How to handle Quality and Safety Deficiencies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Client that refuses to help - How to handle ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B How to handle Medical Device Emergency Software Releases Software Quality Assurance 4
B How to handle/follow supervisor and department head with different supervisory style? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
Z If this is a Nonconforming Product (Service) under clause 8.3? How do we handle it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Responsibility of Distributor for Customer Complaints - How should we handle this Customer Complaints 5
R How to Handle 'Scrap and Replace' of Non-Conforming Products Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Upper Management makes changes to a report - How do I handle this? Six Sigma 12
J SOP for How to Handle an Investigation wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J AS9100 C - 7.5.1.3 - How do you handle Production Equipment Maintenance? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M How to handle the task of Organizing a Regulatory File Room Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V ISO 26262 - How to handle OEM ASIL A (Automotive Software Integrity Requirements) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M How to handle Rejections of a Internal NCR event Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
G Manufacturing Process Subcontracted - How do I handle Cl. 7.5? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
P How to handle Out of Tolerance during Calibrations and exceeded Alert Action Limits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M The importance of Document Control? How do you handle your Document Control? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R How do you handle 'Contaminated Wood Pallets'? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
L Quality Objectives - How various device companies handle "Quality Objectives" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A How does your registrar handle 2 certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
Le Chiffre Great article on how to handle continuous improvement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
E Validity of ISO 9001:2000 Certificates - How to handle supplier ISO 9001 certificates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4