How to Identify and Evaluate Environmental Aspects and Impacts

P

PotentCompoundSafety

Depends on the size of your company. For small and medium size enterprises, I see no problem with using just a spreadsheet or simple database to rank you aspects and impacts. On another note, don't forget environmental issues like how all your employees get to work, and what efforts is the company doing to minimize the impact of all those cars out in the parking lot.

S

samsung

Pls send me the general legal requirement for ISO 14001& also send 3 common objectives.

Regards
Nikhil
Hi Nikhil,

Welcome to the Cove.

There are no common legal requirements applicable to all kinds of organizations and the same stands good for the environmental objectives as well. Objectives depend upon the policy which in turn depends upon the nature of the business. Hence, you may provide enough detail about the nature of your business to enable the forum members to help you in a better way.

Thanks.

minrah

Involved In Discussions
What can be product related environmental aspects applicable to an industry who is manufacturing automotive electronic products and supplying to OEM manufacturers ?
If Land Contamination is the answer, then what can be the preventive measures to reduce the impact on environment, because after the end-of-life of the product, the end user (i.e. the customer who is using the vehicle) may not follow the correct disposal rules.

Thanks,
Minrah

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
What can be product related environmental aspects applicable to an industry who is manufacturing automotive electronic products and supplying to OEM manufacturers ?
If Land Contamination is the answer, then what can be the preventive measures to reduce the impact on environment, because after the end-of-life of the product, the end user (i.e. the customer who is using the vehicle) may not follow the correct disposal rules.

Thanks,
Minrah
Aspects would include the materials that go into your products, particularly if you are using any heavy metals, lead-solder, rare earth elements.

Use preventive measures where you can. At this time, for some of them, there may not be any preventive measures, but you list them anyway. For example, lead solder was a regular item for decades, but gradually it gave way to friendlier materials. Hexavalent chrome took years before Trivalent became well developed and accepted.

minrah

Involved In Discussions
How to address this in study of Aspects/Impacts, when the supplier does not have control on product-related environmental aspects, b'coz it is the OEM manufacturer who is controlling the product-related environmental aspects?

Minrah

Last edited:
S

samsung

How to address this in study of Aspects/Impacts, when the supplier does have control on product-related environmental aspects, b'coz it is the OEM manufacturer who is controlling the product-related environmental aspects?

Minrah
While evaluating the significance, such aspects should be considered as 'Indirect Aspects' as your organization nay not have direct control over them. If they are evaluated as significant then controls must be in place.

The question is how, what and upto what extent controls can be exercised over the suppliers? One way is to categorize the suppliers as 'critical' and 'noncritical' w.r.t. the environmental impacts of the services or products they provide. If you have evaluated the aspects as 'significant' then you need to develop a purchase policy which inter alia may require supplies only from the 14001 certified suppliers or the ones who, in your own opinion, are environmentally conscious and practice or atleast have an EMS in place if not certified by a registrar. This is a difficult business decision and hence great care must be taken while developing any purchase policy since it can directly affect other areas such as profitability and other stakeholders' satisfaction.

One of the ways, as suggested by the standard itself could be to influence the suppliers/ customers by way of education, monitoring, training, capacity building so that they can improve their environmental performance and can contribute in achieving your objectives.

Q

QAGal

I know that this thread is old, but I wanted to chime in because I think there is still some question out there relating to integrated systems and more and more organizations are realizing the benefits to creating them. What C Emmons has, in my opinion, is a very good integrated way to manage hazards / aspects. The only thing I add is some columns to identify controls for those risks that are determned to be significant. You don't have to have them in the same document, but I put them there for ease of review. In that way it becomes somewhat of a process FMEA where you are identifying all the hazards / aspects and their risks for each process. I begin with a top level process map (which we would have because of the requirement) and then flow down to a detailed map of each process that includes inputs / outputs (product and non-product like energy, water, etc.). On the process map, I identify with an * any input or output that is considered an aspect and then have a place to identify, for that process step, hazards that may not necessarily be inputs or outputs. Preparing the process maps first is, again in my opinion, a very good way to focus identification efforts.

Top Bottom