How to Identify and Evaluate Environmental Aspects and Impacts

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
#23
JSW05 said:
What's "pseudo" about it?

pseudo- means similar or along the lines of... So a pseudo-FMEA approach to ranking environmental aspects uses a matrix approach similar to a FMEA, with different columns addressing different scoring items like Toxicity, Regulated chemical, hazard to the environment, safety risks, etc.
 
T

tarheels4 - 2007

#24
hjilling said:
pseudo- means similar or along the lines of... So a pseudo-FMEA approach to ranking environmental aspects uses a matrix approach similar to a FMEA, with different columns addressing different scoring items like Toxicity, Regulated chemical, hazard to the environment, safety risks, etc.
Oh my :nope:
Please look up at www.dictionary.com
 

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
#25
hjilling said:
pseudo- means similar or along the lines of... So a pseudo-FMEA approach to ranking environmental aspects uses a matrix approach similar to a FMEA, with different columns addressing different scoring items like Toxicity, Regulated chemical, hazard to the environment, safety risks, etc.
The more prevalent meaning of "pseudo" is "false" although it can mean "resembling" in scientific contexts, but even at that, what was submitted was a FMEA document. Remember what the letters stand for, and that an FMEA is an analysis process, not a document.
 
C

cokyat

#27
Valeri said:
We just implemented a FMEA for the aspects. We had (2) 3rd party audits with (2) different auditors and they were reasonably impressed. I have attached a copy here. Use what you need - discard the rest.

I have removed the protection for the formulas and the RPN conditional formatting is highlighted at 40 or above.

That is very interesting... where is the Effects of the Failure Mode column? Are the Aspects (like air,etc...) columns considered as effects or impacts in this FMEA?
 

Randy

Super Moderator
#28
Instead of piecemealing everything why don't you try to get some formal training in ISO 14001.

In answer to your question an aspect is an effect...they're the same.

Try to do some work on your own by using the search tool instead of having the work done for you. By following your threads it appears that you have an aversion of doing anything on your own, like LOOKING for an answer
 
C

cokyat

#29
Randy said:
Instead of piecemealing everything why don't you try to get some formal training in ISO 14001.

In answer to your question an aspect is an effect...they're the same.

Try to do some work on your own by using the search tool instead of having the work done for you. By following your threads it appears that you have an aversion of doing anything on your own, like LOOKING for an answer

I had trainings, sir...and I believe that I just made an inquiry. An inquiry of the subject within the scope of this cove can do no harm in this website..or could it? Anyway, thank you very much for your friendly advice and God bless you all.
 

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
#30
cokyat said:
That is very interesting... where is the Effects of the Failure Mode column? Are the Aspects (like air,etc...) columns considered as effects or impacts in this FMEA?
I have seen many examples where they used an approach modeled after the automotive style FMEA format (which is an analysis, as one writer pointed out, but automotive defined a required "document" matrix format to go with it.)

They didn't copy the automotive FMEA format exactly, but used its matrix concept, with various columns ranking different considerations and evaluations. The aspect was listed, and the impact or effect was defined, and other columns documented a thoughtful analysis of the potential failure, the potential risks of it occuring, potential severity of the failure, if legal regulations were a factor, and so on. Whatever considerations their team determined were appropriate, were listed as columns.

Remember, this is concept, an approach. If you want to use the idea, you should adapt it to meet your particular needs. But when you have worked through the analysis, then, like an automotive FMEA exercise, you tally up the score for each aspect, and it gives a relative ranking of each aspect/impact coimbination.

I have seen this used by many of the EMS clients I audit, and usually they do a very good job of identifying and isolating those aspects of their operations which could have a meaningful impact on their environment. And, that is the goal, so they can focus their environmental efforts where they will improve their impact on the planet.
 

Top Bottom