How to Identify and Evaluate Environmental Aspects and Impacts

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I have along way to go I know - but can someone please tell me if I am heading in the right direction - this is what makes sense to me - but I could be way off!!! Arghhhh!!! View attachment 7105

You are definitely on the right track.

Some of your "Probability" scores seem high.

You might want to consider adding Volume or Quantity. Some things will be small quantity, but hazadous. Some will be larger quantity but little hazard.

C

C Emmons

I know - I already took them out - was using them as an example for the team I am working with. I was stuck on the probably vs frequency of activity thing for a bit - had to seperate them in my mind. Common sense tells me that if an activity occurs on a daily basis then that should increase my probably of an impact - but I guess that is not necessarily the case.

Now that I have calmed down I am actually working the spread sheets up seperately - One for Environmental Aspects/Impacts and a second one for Health&Safety and Security Hazards and Risks - Breaking down the organization: Terminal Operations - Maintenance Operations - Office Operations - Dock Operations - Looking at each of the processes/activities/products within the individual areas - then I will comine the results into one sheet and keep the back up! It is making more sense now - I think - until tomorow....:confused:

C

C Emmons

Ok back again.....Still working on my Aspects/Impacts Hazards/Risks for RC14001 - but it is starting to come together , but I have a silly question...

When we get ready to do the scoring, The Probability is related soley to the event happening/occuring/interacting correct?

Here is my example - If one of my environmental aspects if Diesel Fuel - but I have a potential for spill - is my probability high because we are pumping fuel daily or is it low if we have controls in place to prevent the spills and the history indicates spills have been low???:confused:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Here is my example - If one of my environmental aspects if Diesel Fuel - but I have a potential for spill - is my probability high because we are pumping fuel daily or is it low if we have controls in place to prevent the spills and the history indicates spills have been low???:confused:

You tell us, are your controls good, bad, only as good as the person using them?

If you have controls in place, obviously the likelihood of an incident should be lower than if no controls are in place. Some controls are better than others.

This is one of those things that nobody else is going to be able to tell you "what it should be". But of course, we will try to help you decide how to decide.

C

C Emmons

I guess what I asking is this....am I rating the probability of the spill occurring?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Yes you should rate on the potential that exist for diesel spills to happen, how much might spill and where it will spill (bare dirt, concrete).

Randy

Super Moderator
What kind of history do you have with spills using your present controls?

No spills or very few....might be low

Lots and big ones....Review the situation (Fagan from the movie Oliver)

C

C Emmons

Got it . ..For some reason I want to keep taking into account the frequency of the activity and assuming that it increases the probability of occurrence...So I was trying to assume if we dispense fuel daily so the activity itselt is frequent, but our history of spills is very low w/ very little impact , how would I score it? I keep letting the frequency of the activity confuse me.

Paul Simpson

Got it . ..For some reason I want to keep taking into account the frequency of the activity and assuming that it increases the probability of occurrence...So I was trying to assume if we dispense fuel daily so the activity itselt is frequent, but our history of spills is very low w/ very little impact , how would I score it? I keep letting the frequency of the activity confuse me.
  • For assessing the significance of a consumption aspect then frequency and volume is important - so for example fuel consumption you would consider how often you use the vehicle and how much fuel it uses.
  • For assessing the significance of an emergency aspect you consider the likelihood of occurrence and the impact of (in this case) the spill

The clever bit is comparing routine (consumption) activities with emergency (spill) activities for significance - good luck with your scoring system! :agree1:

Randy

Super Moderator

Ya wanna get crazier?

What is the size of your greatest potential spill?

How close are you to a navigable waterway?

What is the potential for a spill to encroach offsite either above or below ground?

Are there any flora or fauna that could be effected by spilled materials?

Do you have any protected or endangered species of flora or fauna that could be effected?

How close is the aquafer?

What are your soil chacteristics?

See it can get real crazy real quick.

Keep it as simple and usuable as possible to suit your needs.

Top Bottom