SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

How to identify Key Characteristics (KC) in a Design FMEA (DFMEA)

G

gdv31

Hello,

At first sorry for my English?I have to indentify key characteristic (specialize geometric KC) on a product with Design FMEA in accordance with AS 9100 and AS9103.
I have a question about key characteristic. I read a lot of things about KC and Product or design FMEA but in don?t understand how identify a KC with a DFMEA. For example I don?t understand how a DFMEA can identify a hole diameter as a KC. I saw some sample with a column ?class? just after the severity column but I don?t understand how a failure of a function can produce a KC.
Dou you have some example?
Thank You for your help.
Gab
Gab

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The DFMEA is used to identify and mitigate risk. If a feature has a potential failure mode with an effect that has a high severity rating, or a moderately high severity rating coupled with a high occurence rating (criticality) it is a high risk feature. This may warrant identifying it as a key characteristic (or CTQ depending on your terminology).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Can't identify my company's "Key Process" Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 27
P Requirement to create an asset register and identify all Key equipment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
W New Customer Requirement - Identify key performance measures and Leading Indicators Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
apestate What are the key processes your company has identified? How did you identify them? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
T ISO 9001 8.5.2. - Identification and traceability to Identify Outputs - Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
U When do we identify Residual Risk? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 11
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D How to identify and confirm that the developed device fall under Israel electro medical device category Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D How to identify and confirm that the developed device fall under Israel electro medical device category Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E How do you identify what standards a country recognizes outside of FDA, EU, Health Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Marc Can you identify this moth? 19 January 2019 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
D Help identify a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) (UL) certified lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T To Identify the Applicable MDD Directive - Prepared blood smear EU Medical Device Regulations 13
A Requirement to Identify Changes to record in ISO 13485 : 2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R AS9100D Cl. 8.4.2 - Identify Raw Material as a Significant Operational Risk AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C How to Identify Counterfeit Medications (drugs)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
P How to identify the Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T How to identify requirements for 'Incoming inspection' Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M How to identify software configuration items in a BOM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Resource Planning/How to identify IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
V How to identify Customer Specific Requirement If is not provided by Customer Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
B How to identify Six Sigma Yellow Belt Project Six Sigma 4
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
X Existing Toolroom Process Validation - Need to identify clauses addressed. Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
C How Can I Identify 304 Stainless Steel? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Geoff Cotton How to identify Stakeholders in a Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
M How to identify CTQ / Critical Characteristics using the DFMEA approach. FMEA and Control Plans 3
R 3rd Party Audit Comment - Identify ISO Clauses/Sub Clauses to each Process Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 45
J AS9100:C Risk Management - Identify the Risk for the Sales/Contract Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
T How to Identify Taper Gages without potentially damaging them General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N How to Number (Identify) and Index Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A DoC for Software Product - How can I identify the specific units that are covered? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T How to Identify "Observation" in Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
X Audit Findings - The Process/Clause Matrix does not identify all the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
S Identify Environment Aspect by Activities Approach ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
B Effectiveness of 200% Visual Inspection to Identify Defects and Defectives Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 32
N Definition IDENTIFY and DETERMINE - What is the technical difference between the words Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 64
A Procedure to Identify Potential Emergency Situations and Accidents Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
D AS9102 - How to title the attached form and how to identify the characteristics AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
kedarg6500 How to Identify Critical to Quality Characteristics (CTQ) FMEA and Control Plans 2
Le Chiffre At what point do you need to identify a U.S. Agent - 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M New to AS9100 - Clause 7.5.3 - Do you have to identify each part produced AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Form to identify status of product on the production floor. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L Special Characteristics - What if the customer does not identify any SCs? FMEA and Control Plans 5
M How do you identify the wrong orientation in complex wiring harness? Manufacturing and Related Processes 21
W How do you address clause 4.1 General requirements - Identify the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
S CE Mark using Registered Trademark to identify the legal manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B Determine vs. identify (as in clause 4.1 a), any differences? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7