Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

How to improve Operator Motivation

michu said:
I’ve just read your answers & article about „Red beads”. Of course I agree with all that facts mentioned there but in this case operators are responsible for 100% final control (visual-no other control is possible) and many times they failed. When I observed their job I had an impression that they didn’t put so much effort as they can. This is exactly the problem I try to solve . (Maybe I wasn’t much precise earlier-Sorry about that)

M.
I'm not pointing fingers, merely making observations. I can't be present in person to observe, so we have to count on you to provide ALL the pertinent data.
  1. Have you or any other managers tried pulling a full shift?
    (not just a couple of samples, but an entire day of doing exactly the same work under the same conditions - same lunch and break time, etc. - as these folks)
  2. Do you all have a much better performance rating than the workers?
  3. If yes, what did you do differently than they did?
  4. Is their eyesight checked (for free)?
  5. Did they have adequate breakfast or lunch?
  6. Were they sleepy?
  7. Are there distractions which keep them from concentrating on the task at hand? (noise, heat, cold, interruptions, etc.)
  8. Is there a definite difference in performance between operators? Any idea why?
  9. If operators fail pieces, do their co-workers in production get penalized?
  10. When operators do find nonconforming work, does anyone pursue a root cause investigation to find a way to prevent future nonconforming work?
  11. Are operators paid by the hour or by piece?
I have dozens more questions, depending on answers to even these few. The point of demonstrations like the red beads is to help everyone focus on the real root cause, not just the surface observation, when they try to fix a broken process.

Ultimately, if other operators are able to consistently inspect and detect nonconformance, we'd conclude either the original operators didn't grasp the training or that their training was inadequate in evaluating whether they had, indeed, grasped the process of inspection required.

If a new crew performs the job to your satisfaction, replace the old crew with them. Personally, I'd seek a way to salvage the existing crew by mistake proofing the process.

S

SIMON J LEWIS - 2006

How to motivate and understand operators need ---

Hi,
Good point "how do you motivate ".
One activity l would use either on "Senior Managers" or "Operators " is a simple but very powerful activity which is called "appreciative enquiry" in simple terms "AI".
So you may ask "breakdown" the meaning of "AI",so here goes:

DEFINE
DISCOVER
DREAM
DESIGN
DELIVER

This in short is called a "5D" activity.

If you would like to know more about how to deliver this activity please feel free to contact me.

simlewis626 (at no spam) aol (dot) com
Moderator comment:
It is not good form to put one's email address in the body of a post without protecting it against spambots which regularly harvest such addresses. You may put such information in your Profile, including your own website, if you have one, and refer readers to your Profile. The safest method is to have people contact you through Private Message or email, which can be enabled in your Profile. Our Forum software filters out spambots that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also use the search function here in the Cove to learn more about 5D methodology. Many Cove members are well versed in such techniques.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
TNHunter said:
How many times have I seen on a corrective action for root cause, "operator error".

Quote:
"Probably many of you observe that most of problems occured during manufacturing process is connected with mistakes or due to an oversight of operator."

Most of the time, the oversight is due to poor management, supervision, lack of proper tools, methods,or procedures. If the operator(s) do not have the proper motivation, the question has to be asked, why? Take it from there.

How much inspection occures after the operator touches it?

Why should operators be motivated if inspection is to catch it?

Have the operators tried to be proactive and have been beat down by supervisors and/or managers?

The easiest thing to fall back on in operator error. From my experience, this is VERY RARELY the true root cause.:mad: :mad:
I have seen forms with in the field for root cause it is written- operator error not acceptable

S

SIMON J LEWIS - 2006

Root cause ----

The process is only as good as the operator/s, or should it read, the operator/s are only as good as the process.:confused:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
michu said:
Hello,
Does anybody has a good idea how to motivate operators to do their job as good as they can. Of course it cannot be money or other things like that. Probably many of you observe that most of problems occured during manufacturing process is connected with mistakes or due to an oversight of operator.
I'm waiting for Ideas and advice (I think it could be very interesting discussion).

I read the book "Good to Great" recently. It made the argument the job of management is not in motivating the employees. The job of managmeent is to remove those items the De-Motivate the employees. The premise was, if you do that, and provide a positive environment, the employees will naturally motivate themselves.

I am trying to watch for this now, in my work.

Q

QualityGRL

Re: How to improve operators motivation?

I started a team wall, we took pictures of all our line operators and every week supervisors and managers, would appoint a candidate to be in the honor wall, for a particular reasons. But the top spot was for the operators that detected any defect that could potentially lead to a customer complaint or simply a failure in the unit. HR would give us 2 10-15 dlls gift card for the winners. They liked it :)

I am actually writting a paper for my university in Mexico, about how personal problems and the careful selection of operators can influence the quality of our products. As soon as I am done, I will translate and share.

I can honestly say, that all those operators make my day happy. I used to be a quality engineer. They like to be acknowledged and they like to think and know how important is each of their jobs for the company.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

I started a team wall, we took pictures of all our line operators and every week supervisors and managers, would appoint a candidate to be in the honor wall, for a particular reasons. But the top spot was for the operators that detected any defect that could potentially lead to a customer complaint or simply a failure in the unit. HR would give us 2 10-15 dlls gift card for the winners. They liked it :)

I am actually writting a paper for my university in Mexico, about how personal problems and the careful selection of operators can influence the quality of our products. As soon as I am done, I will translate and share.

I can honestly say, that all those operators make my day happy. I used to be a quality engineer. They like to be acknowledged and they like to think and know how important is each of their jobs for the company.
This is very encouraging. :cool: :applause:

A great deal has been written about motivation. A second movement involves removing barriers to those who are already motivated. The two movements tend to be directed to both sides of the McGregor X and Y Theory.

What works for your organization is the right thing. But I want to add other sources such as The 1001 Rewards 7 Recognition books that point out there are people who do not receive fame very well; for them, more personal forms of recognition are appropriate. Of course we need to know our employees to most effectively define and deliver recognition and the motivating force we presume the recognition enables.
:2cents:

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator

I love this idea, though Im concerned that inspectors would land the honor spot more often than operators because of the nature of their job. Do you observe this? If so, how do you deal with it?

Sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

Top Bottom