How to increase EMS and General Environmental Awareness

P

Peter West

Dear All

We are at the stage where most of the written work and theory has been completed for our EMS, so now we are looking to implement the procedures into company operations. Part of this is making the staff aware that there is now an EMS, and ensuring they abide by it's key points.

We will give sit-down presentation style training to nominated internal auditors (with the necessary continual support from then on), however question the need to carry out such training for general staff (there are many of them spread over the whole of the UK).

The main idea is to replace that with an awareness campaign (series of campaigns). I was wondering if anyone had experience of this working (as opposed to the standard sit down training).

I assume it will involve things such as company emails, posters, and even taking advantage of the company lunchtime lectures to give an overview (i.e. money/trees we'll save, methods of how, reason behind the EMS etc).

Does anyone have any other ideas or better yet actual experiences of anything similar they have experienced?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Yep...Put a big banner up proclaiming in large letters

"We are an ISO 14001 company"

and in smaller letter put

" Now all we have to do is prove it. How can you help? "

I've seen it done, I've seen it work.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
talk to people. get them thinking. this isn't like you can just hand them a card that says we are 14001 now and be done with it. Like Randy says, challenge the people to think.

N

Nette

We are in the process of looking at how we can communicate our environmental goals for next year. We have also had it recommended by our internal auditors that we have an environmental refresher on an annual basis.
For us our employees do all the recycling, energy saving, etc but if ask would not necessary know how to answer the auditors questions.

We are looking at having a notice board where our goal, targets and objectives are displayed. We can also put our monthly performance on there. In addition we are going to put together a brief to give to all of our employees. We also have a company newsletter that is issued to all employees that we could use if we wanted to.

I like the suggestion of the banner saying WE ARE AN ISO 14001 COMPANY.

Randy

Super Moderator
I like the suggestion of the banner saying WE ARE AN ISO 14001 COMPANY.
I've seen it work more than once......

How to communcate your environmental goals? Tell everyone what your goals (Objectives) are and how everyoine can help meet them.........It doesn't get simpler than that.

Remember...KISS (and not the one withe Gene Simmons):lol:

C

C Emmons

We started with a large group overview - with a 12 minuute presentation for everyone. We already had a process in place for weekly preshift (toolbox) talks - whatever you call them. - I hijacked the time for the meetings and substituted 5 minute talks on our formal EHS&S (Responsible Care) system everthing from an overview - what applied to the employees - what to expect during an audit etc. I also placed banners throughout the dock areas with different phrases on them such as Responsible Care = Environment, Health and Safety and Security - Environmental impact = Less Waste - Less Chemical Spills - etc etc. They worked very well and generated alot of quetions.

M

meo786

Can you share 12 minutes presentation?

We started with a large group overview - with a 12 minuute presentation for everyone. We already had a process in place for weekly preshift (toolbox) talks - whatever you call them. - I hijacked the time for the meetings and substituted 5 minute talks on our formal EHS&S (Responsible Care) system everthing from an overview - what applied to the employees - what to expect during an audit etc. I also placed banners throughout the dock areas with different phrases on them such as Responsible Care = Environment, Health and Safety and Security - Environmental impact = Less Waste - Less Chemical Spills - etc etc. They worked very well and generated alot of quetions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JoCam Increase to bi-annual ISO 13485 audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Judy Abbott Increase the maximum allowable dose for E-beam sterilization Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational US FDA – Statement on agency’s efforts to increase transparency in medical device reporting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Edward Reesor Health Canada to increase PMS requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Employee diet to reduce absenteeism and increase productivity Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 24
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
O Matlab Layout Command to Increase Size Using Minitab Software 1
S Bioburden Monitoring Sample Size Increase ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
X Justification of Decrease in Receivables, Increase in Negative Cashflows Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
J How to Increase Customer Satisfaction Rating? Customer Complaints 20
Q Analytical Tools to increase or improve Analytical Skills Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
V How to increase the Cpk level consistently? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
M How to Increase Registrar Audit Rigor? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
N New Seven Management Tools - Corporate Objective - Achieve 20% sales increase Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
F How to increase the technological knowledge of employees? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 19
A Plug Gauge Size shows increase after use? Criteria for acceptance of the gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M How to increase survey response rate? - Process Effectiveness metric Six Sigma 5
B Why CB (Certification Body) Increase Audit Man days for ISO 9001:2008 upgrade? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
B How to increase integration between our Quality & Environmental Management Systems Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
S Experiencing an unreasonable increase in lead times when requesting quotes? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
ScottK Screw Machine Stock Users - Increase in bent bars on receiving? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
D How to increase productivity in your plant? Real-Time Data Collection / Monitoring Benchmarking 2
ScottK It'll increase your short term memory by at least 15% Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
I Shutting Down over Requested Price Increase... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
samer Are your employees asking for a salary increase? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
C Presentation Material on Kill Waste and Increase Productivity Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
D Chart - How high the Rockwell Hardness increase after material has been edgerolled? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Radical attempt to increase usage of public transport in Newport, South Wales Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T Origami gurus - Do they want the price of the product to increase? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
R Looking to Increase My Marketability in Automotive - Any Suggestions? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
P CQT Exam: Info needed - Boss says he'll increase my pay and promotion if I pass Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
J How to get employees involved (increase awareness) with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Kevin Mader Suppliers, more or less - Increase or a reduction in light of standards requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M EMS change management ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
K EMS Manual - External auditor expectations Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R India - EMS 14001:2015 Environmental product declarations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
R ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 combined audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 5
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
A EMS - ISO 14001:2015 Implementation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
B ISO 14001:2015 4.3 - How to make the scope of the EMS available to interested parties ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
L Why are some EMS machines not certified under MDD Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
D Is anyone changing their ISO 14001:2004 EMS Policy? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
F ISO 14001:2015 EMS Procedures and Form Examples wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
5 Advice for a new EMS at a small, office-based company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
O QMS / EMS required procedures ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
drgnrider EMR performing audits of EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
L 5 minutes only for this Survey on the Value of PDCA and Your EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
L Business case for an electronic EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Services) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2