How to increase EMS and General Environmental Awareness

P

Peter West

Dear All

We are at the stage where most of the written work and theory has been completed for our EMS, so now we are looking to implement the procedures into company operations. Part of this is making the staff aware that there is now an EMS, and ensuring they abide by it's key points.

We will give sit-down presentation style training to nominated internal auditors (with the necessary continual support from then on), however question the need to carry out such training for general staff (there are many of them spread over the whole of the UK).

The main idea is to replace that with an awareness campaign (series of campaigns). I was wondering if anyone had experience of this working (as opposed to the standard sit down training).

I assume it will involve things such as company emails, posters, and even taking advantage of the company lunchtime lectures to give an overview (i.e. money/trees we'll save, methods of how, reason behind the EMS etc).

Does anyone have any other ideas or better yet actual experiences of anything similar they have experienced?

Randy

Super Moderator
Yep...Put a big banner up proclaiming in large letters

"We are an ISO 14001 company"

and in smaller letter put

" Now all we have to do is prove it. How can you help? "

I've seen it done, I've seen it work.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
talk to people. get them thinking. this isn't like you can just hand them a card that says we are 14001 now and be done with it. Like Randy says, challenge the people to think.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
We have lot of EMS and general Environmental posters in our plants. Also we send info thru emails for creating the awareness :)

N

Nette

We are in the process of looking at how we can communicate our environmental goals for next year. We have also had it recommended by our internal auditors that we have an environmental refresher on an annual basis.
For us our employees do all the recycling, energy saving, etc but if ask would not necessary know how to answer the auditors questions.

We are looking at having a notice board where our goal, targets and objectives are displayed. We can also put our monthly performance on there. In addition we are going to put together a brief to give to all of our employees. We also have a company newsletter that is issued to all employees that we could use if we wanted to.

I like the suggestion of the banner saying WE ARE AN ISO 14001 COMPANY.

Randy

Super Moderator
I like the suggestion of the banner saying WE ARE AN ISO 14001 COMPANY.

I've seen it work more than once......

How to communcate your environmental goals? Tell everyone what your goals (Objectives) are and how everyoine can help meet them.........It doesn't get simpler than that.

Remember...KISS (and not the one withe Gene Simmons):lol:

C

C Emmons

We started with a large group overview - with a 12 minuute presentation for everyone. We already had a process in place for weekly preshift (toolbox) talks - whatever you call them. - I hijacked the time for the meetings and substituted 5 minute talks on our formal EHS&S (Responsible Care) system everthing from an overview - what applied to the employees - what to expect during an audit etc. I also placed banners throughout the dock areas with different phrases on them such as Responsible Care = Environment, Health and Safety and Security - Environmental impact = Less Waste - Less Chemical Spills - etc etc. They worked very well and generated alot of quetions.

M

meo786

Can you share 12 minutes presentation?

We started with a large group overview - with a 12 minuute presentation for everyone. We already had a process in place for weekly preshift (toolbox) talks - whatever you call them. - I hijacked the time for the meetings and substituted 5 minute talks on our formal EHS&S (Responsible Care) system everthing from an overview - what applied to the employees - what to expect during an audit etc. I also placed banners throughout the dock areas with different phrases on them such as Responsible Care = Environment, Health and Safety and Security - Environmental impact = Less Waste - Less Chemical Spills - etc etc. They worked very well and generated alot of quetions.

Top Bottom