How to interpret Measurement Uncertainty (MU)

C

CarlosIvan

Hello to all, I am grateful if someone could clear up a great doubt that I have how to apply the uncertainty. Using one of the methodologies of the approach NorTest in which the six most recent uncertainties use obtained in the tests interlaboratories, for the DBO we have a relative uncertainty of 9.6 %. The doubt that I have if whenever I do DBO's new test the result obtained (for example 100 mg/L) I must multiply it by 9.6 % to obtain the uncertainty of this test. I am grateful for the orientations in the matter.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: How to interpret Measurement Uncertainty

Hello CarlosIvan!:bigwave: Welcome to the Cove! :)

Forgive me for having to answer this, but what is DBO and NorTest?

I'm a bit perplexed about the 9.6% uncertainty. What does that percentage represent? Also, when uncertainties are calculated, they typically have a notation of some kind (°C, PSIG, micrograms, mL, etc.).

Now once you get your uncertainty and you make a particular measurement, given the stated confidence interval you can state with that probability the true value is between the two tails of the uncertainty value. :)

C

CarlosIvan

Re: How to interpret Measurement Uncertainty

Hi Brad, the NordTest is an approach using in the nordic countries to report chemical uncertainty. The BOD is a method to determine the Biochemical Oxygen Demand in 5 days and the 9.6% is the relative standard. Thanks for your orientation.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
On the surface, this appears relatively simple: The true quantity is the stated quantity +/- the 9.6% uncertainty, as some stated confidence level.

However, there may be quite a bit going on with this measurement that is not immediately obvious.

apatriciad

Registered
Hi! I have one question for you CarlosIvan. Do you use commercial standards (certified reference material ) in BOD determination and validation? Thank you

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi! I have one question for you CarlosIvan. Do you use commercial standards (certified reference material ) in BOD determination and validation? Thank you
You've replied to a post from nine years ago, and the person you're replying to is no longer registered here.

Top Bottom