How to interpret the average R bar Value shown in the R Chart

L

lello_1983

Hi,
First of all I would like to thank you for the great community you have here!!

I just need a clarification about the interpretation of Gage R&R results, used to evaluate the adequacy of a measurement system;
In particular, I would like to better understand how to interpret the average Rbar value shown in the R chart;

How can I use the R value of the R chart in order to understand if the measurement system is able to discriminate between different parts?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

AMIT BALLAL

Trusted Information Resource
how to interpret the average Rbar value shown in the R chart:

Lower the R is better, which would show variability of your measurement system. lower the R, lower the GRR- which is expected. Apply control chart rules to check whether the measurement process is in control (Identify special cause and eliminate).

measurement system is able to discriminate between different parts:

nDc would tell you whether measurement system is able to discriminate.

:2cents:

Thanks,
Amit

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
To add to Amit's response: the Rbar chart shows the actual range of the repeated measurements of each unit. So the UCL would be roughly the largest expected difference between repeat measurements and the average Range would be the average difference. The control chart itself is intended to detect if any of the repeated measurements were suspect of a miss-measurement or mis entry. This would be indicated by an out-of-control point.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V How to interpret AQL sampling tables AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 4.4.1.2 - Product Safety - How to interpret IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
B How to interpret Grindometer Gage R&R Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
N How to interpret the definition of clinical and preclinical trials? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K How to interpret Clause 7.6 for a service company? Service Industry Specific Topics 11
G Guidance Document to interpret IEC 60601-1 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P How to interpret statement like 'Maintain a Procedure' Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S How to interpret a Linear Regression in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 3
Q How to read and interpret an SIPOC (Suppliers Inputs Process Outputs Customers) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Transport Vehicle Thermal Regulation - How would you interpret this requirement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A How to interpret Minitab Results? What is difference in Cpk and Ppk values? Using Minitab Software 2
C How to interpret Measurement Uncertainty (MU) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
T Please help me interpret my GR&R results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Gage Bias and Linearity - How to interpret the Minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
F Gage R&R - How to interpret results? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
W MDR Reporting - How to interpret requirements for MDR Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
T SPC Data - Autocorrelation - How do I interpret this result? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
S Could someone tell me what are the results of a Gage R&R & how to interpret it? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D How to interpret TS Clause 7.5.1.4 Preventive and Predictive Maintenance? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J How do you audit or interpret 'Where Appropriate' in ISO 9001 Clauses such as 7.4.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P How to Interpret Caliper GR&R (Gage R&R) Graphical Result Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D How do we interpret the following XmR Trend Chart data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D How to interpret np chart data - Monitoring 6 medical records Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Q Looking for Case Studies for How to interpret the requirements of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
0 How to interpret s and x bar control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C CUSUM Chart - Can some one throw some light on use and how to interpret? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Peter Fraser "Anither language" - I'll Interpret your 'Jargon' Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
K Gage R&R - How do I interpret the %PV & %TV results? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
N How should I interpret Voice of the Customer QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
S "Level of Control" over Suppliers - How do you Interpret and Accomplish Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M What is the average time needed for process documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Average and standard deviation of Cumulative Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
P Average access height into an industrial machine (average base plate height) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
P Average Peel Strength - Interpretation of BS EN 868-5:2018 and ASTM F0088/F0088M Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
qualprod Cycle times, value stream mapping, inventory, average values? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Proud Liberal How long does your company take to close an 8D on average? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
J0anne GCC Submissions - Average review time for SGH qualification files Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
K Average height of adults by sex by state Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 10
M What is the difference between X Bar - R Charts and Average Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Average Run Length (Student Question) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
F Statistical Comparison of Product: High Average vs. Low Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
G Improve final GR&R value by taking average of more measurements? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
K Can I do an average measurement values for a sample? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M MSA 4 - Results of GR&R Study using Range & Average Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
T Counting the Average Times of Alarms in a Process using Minitab Using Minitab Software 5