How to keep a ISO 9001:2015 certification when a company is sold ?

Hi,
our company has been sold to a major other company in our field of business. Amongst this, the CEOs changed, and by the end of the year the old copmpany name will be removed from the commercial register.

BUT - there is no change regarding the QM-System since the "old" company structures will remain intact and we will just become a "department" of the company conglomerate that bought us.

What I need to know is whether any "re-certification" (from scratch ?) regarding our current ISO 9001:2015 certification is required. I found an older post discussing this issue (Heading : "ISO 9001:2000 Registration Status if company is sold and changes name?") but I am not sure if this information is still valid. (It is from about 2004)

Is there any ruling in the ISO 9001:2015 documentation we can relate to when talking to the company handling our certification. Can you provide a link or hint where to find it, if any ?

Our current Certificate will be good until the end of 2023 and we will have our yearly "interim-check" later in 2022.

Can anyone advise how we can prevent loosing the certification under the new company-structure and if we can eventually have the certificate "re-issued" with the new company-name without any major efforts or costs, just being noted on the certificate that we are now a department of the larger company ?

Many thanks !

Regards
P.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Maintaining certification and its value throughout an acquisition requires planning.

But now you are left to pick up the pieces starting with the new top manager’s quality policy.

Remember that much of the former certified system was undocumented so it relied on the collective understanding of values (shared organizational beliefs) and processes (the way work was done by interacting employees).

So, your plan needs to focus on understanding what the new organization actually does to determine and fulfill customer needs (and to manage continual improvement) per the new quality policy.

If you act quickly and have excellent leadership you and your colleagues may be able to steady the ship in time to maintain continuity of certification.

Good Luck!

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Yes - I've been there. It's not difficult if you keep your current registrar and the scope of the certification is not changing. They will have some forms to fill out regarding the change in business name and such and will evaluate if any further action needs to be taken.
As far as rulings - I'm sure there are rules, but you really shouldn't need to know what they are... I mean I've been doing this a long time and I don't... just follow your registrar's advice, that's that they are there for and you are the customer.

If you are changing registrars, the new registrar will need to do an evaluation of your QMS to determine if a full audit needs to be undertaken.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Isn't the company that bought your company going to add it to their registration scope?
Most larger orgs that I've worked at maintained ISO registration by site or business unit... because of acquisitions like the OP is talking about. It's just easier than folding them into the overall QMS
edit - And sometimes "corporate" doesn't even have a QMS.

Randy

Super Moderator
No big deal, done it 100 times including Mon-Thurs this week. Change of contract and maybe "Extension to Scope" at worst

It helps to start talking with you certification / registration body as soon as possible. They don't like surprises. Sometimes, when there have been significant changes, particularly in management, a re-evaluation audit is needed (similar to but not the same as a recertification audit). From my experience, this is less likely if you have minimal disruptions and the powers that be are aware if what is going on.

If you haven't started taliking to yur certification / registration body yet, do it sooner than later. Much sooner.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T From Manufacturer to Distributor - Still keep ISO 9001:2008 Certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Revisions in ISO 9001 QMS Documents - Where to keep the record of revisions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Do you keep ISO 9001 when going AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Required to keep records of all expedited freight? ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C ISO 13485 - why keep 9001 registration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J ISO 15223-1: Keep dry vs. humidity limitation label symbol Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
C ISO 14001 vs Existing Quality System - How to keep them separate? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
K Documents required to display/keep during ISO 9000 Audit in EPCC firm ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Keep current ISO 13485 registrar AND add new for CMDCAS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D What to do to keep ISO 13485 cert when medical device is not produced anymore? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
R Seeking ISO 17025 tools to help keep my employees in the mind frame of ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Awareness of Guidance and Policies - how do you keep track? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J How to keep MDD certificate valid when legal manufacturer has liquidity problem EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Old Master Schedules - How Long to Keep? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W How long do you keep information about equipment no longer used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
lanley liao How to keep the manufacturing capability under the API monogram Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R How to keep track of employee read-only training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
D What are the important things to keep track of in product audit checklist? Software Quality Assurance 3
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion How major corporations in the West keep failing to uphold their pledges of abolishing child labor in their cocoa supply chains Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 3
R How to keep track of all FDA rules and regulations for medical device companies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Where to keep Enterprise Resource Planning software (ERP) Validation Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
Q Is Handwritten Raw Data required to keep with Electronic Records? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
E Design Dossier/DHF Updates - What to Keep EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Product Safety Officer - How to keep VW Happy VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 24
T How to keep Customer Engineering Specifications & CSRs Up to Date IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
AnaMariaVR2 FDA to keep closer eye on diagnostics: FDA chief US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
AnaMariaVR2 How to Keep the Fizz in Your Biz The Reading Room 0
H Best place to keep myself updated on EU Regulatory Changes EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T What Can Be Done to Keep Operations Trainers Busy? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
V Device Retains - How many people keep retains of finished devices and why? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
Q Material Changes - To keep questions and answers as records? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J SR-001 Revision - Keep watching for the new revision of SR001 (It is expected soon) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Antonio Vieira Do you still keep old numbers of Quality Progress in paper format? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
C Controlling QMS - We are expanding globally and want to keep our QMS Confidential Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
A Do you keep up your CCT (Certified Calibration Technician) Certification? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Self Motivation - How to keep it when overwhelmed with problems? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
Q Do we need to keep MSDS documents for all "chemicals" used in the factory? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
K How you keep yourself motivated in tough times? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
M Dbase or Excel file to keep track on our internal failures (Non conform products) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Q How should I Keep my various types of records .. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T How much information should I keep in my Master Document Register? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Training Records - Requirement to keep original copy of training/assessment form? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 12
R How long do I keep expired Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8