How to keep a ISO 9001:2015 certification when a company is sold ?

Pingmeide

Registered
Hi,
our company has been sold to a major other company in our field of business. Amongst this, the CEOs changed, and by the end of the year the old copmpany name will be removed from the commercial register.

BUT - there is no change regarding the QM-System since the "old" company structures will remain intact and we will just become a "department" of the company conglomerate that bought us.

What I need to know is whether any "re-certification" (from scratch ?) regarding our current ISO 9001:2015 certification is required. I found an older post discussing this issue (Heading : "ISO 9001:2000 Registration Status if company is sold and changes name?") but I am not sure if this information is still valid. (It is from about 2004)

Is there any ruling in the ISO 9001:2015 documentation we can relate to when talking to the company handling our certification. Can you provide a link or hint where to find it, if any ?

Our current Certificate will be good until the end of 2023 and we will have our yearly "interim-check" later in 2022.

Can anyone advise how we can prevent loosing the certification under the new company-structure and if we can eventually have the certificate "re-issued" with the new company-name without any major efforts or costs, just being noted on the certificate that we are now a department of the larger company ?

Many thanks !

Regards
P.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Maintaining certification and its value throughout an acquisition requires planning.

But now you are left to pick up the pieces starting with the new top manager’s quality policy.

Remember that much of the former certified system was undocumented so it relied on the collective understanding of values (shared organizational beliefs) and processes (the way work was done by interacting employees).

So, your plan needs to focus on understanding what the new organization actually does to determine and fulfill customer needs (and to manage continual improvement) per the new quality policy.

If you act quickly and have excellent leadership you and your colleagues may be able to steady the ship in time to maintain continuity of certification.

Good Luck!

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Isn't the company that bought your company going to add it to their registration scope?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Yes - I've been there. It's not difficult if you keep your current registrar and the scope of the certification is not changing. They will have some forms to fill out regarding the change in business name and such and will evaluate if any further action needs to be taken.
As far as rulings - I'm sure there are rules, but you really shouldn't need to know what they are... I mean I've been doing this a long time and I don't... just follow your registrar's advice, that's that they are there for and you are the customer.

If you are changing registrars, the new registrar will need to do an evaluation of your QMS to determine if a full audit needs to be undertaken.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Isn't the company that bought your company going to add it to their registration scope?
Most larger orgs that I've worked at maintained ISO registration by site or business unit... because of acquisitions like the OP is talking about. It's just easier than folding them into the overall QMS
edit - And sometimes "corporate" doesn't even have a QMS.

Randy

Super Moderator
No big deal, done it 100 times including Mon-Thurs this week. Change of contract and maybe "Extension to Scope" at worst

Big Jim

Admin
It helps to start talking with you certification / registration body as soon as possible. They don't like surprises. Sometimes, when there have been significant changes, particularly in management, a re-evaluation audit is needed (similar to but not the same as a recertification audit). From my experience, this is less likely if you have minimal disruptions and the powers that be are aware if what is going on.

If you haven't started taliking to yur certification / registration body yet, do it sooner than later. Much sooner.

Top Bottom