SBS - The best value in QMS software

How to look up Failure Modes on FDA website

J

Jnks_Meddev

Hello Everyone,

I am checking failure modes on FDA websites (TPLC?) for our device and see if there's competitor's mode data/existing data.

Can someone guide me on how to look up for failure modes on FDA website?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Medical device reporting does not explicitly requires that failure modes are reported, so you probably won't find specific ones (reporting are usually related to the patient event, not device failures modes (which are usually internal").

J

Jnks_Meddev

Thank you for responding! We are a contract manufacturing and so a lot of our products failure modes are not internally tracked as our clients will report it to the FDA and so we use TPLC TPLC - Total Product Life Cycle to find all failure mode's to make sure we have covered all of them in our DFMEA's.

T

tomshoup

Hello Everyone,

I am checking failure modes on FDA websites (TPLC?) for our device and see if there's competitor's mode data/existing data.

Can someone guide me on how to look up for failure modes on FDA website?

Thanks!
You can find a wealth of information about failure modes in MAUDE. Theoretically, everything in TPLC should be in MAUDE so I only use MAUDE. By the way, I've asked FDA staff members about using other databases such as MEDSUN and they tell me "stick with MAUDE." The way to use MAUDE is to look for entries based on the product code assigned to your product in the product classification database. In MAUDE, set a wide date range, say 5 years, and see how many reports you get. When I do risk management files for clients I always try to read at least 100 reports (if that many are available) that span 5 to 10 years, as long as the products are reasonably equivalent. You can also find more reports by looking for products with similar attributes though they may be in other product classifications. For example, a pregnancy test requires the user to decide if the color stripe is blue. If your product requires a user to decide what color the indicator on a test strip is, look at reports for other tests that use this method of showing the result. Similarly, if your device is likely to be used without training, look for devices that have that attribute, such as AEDs. This can get pretty messy, especially if there are a lot of product codes for similar products, so design your approach so you can tabulate everything you want to read. Also, the reports are sometimes poorly written and you can get to the end of a report and find out that no injury occurred or the patient wasn't even in the room. But I always learn something about the risks of products I work on by reading lots of these reports.

I've also found it useful to download the FDA databases into Access so I can use its filters rather than the FDA search engine. Don't try that with Excel, it doesn't like more than one or two hundred thousand lines but Access will take a million.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N PFMEA repetitive failure modes in subsecuent stations. FMEA and Control Plans 1
A Repairable System Reliability Analysis: Uptime/Downtime Hours, Failure Modes Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
R 5% to 95% Non-Condensing Humidity Storage Test Conditions and Failure Modes APQP and PPAP 2
T Red Rabbits with Multiple Failure Modes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V Failure Modes of 1-step being taken as cause in 2nd (subsequent/downstream) step FMEA and Control Plans 4
I Primary Failure Modes in a Production Line - Pls help a new member FMEA and Control Plans 5
F Failure Modes for Public Transport Vehicle Door Assembly - Your inputs please! FMEA and Control Plans 27
V Common Failure Modes for a Product/Process Line ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
V Examples for failure modes of Design & Process FMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 5
K MIG Welding Failure Modes and PFMEA Sample Needed ASAP FMEA and Control Plans 10
V Failure Modes & Causes in dFMEA & pFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Developing a PFMEA - Confused about Potential Failure modes FMEA and Control Plans 7
J Maintenance FMEA to address machine failure modes FMEA and Control Plans 2
M PAA (Process Assurance Assessment) vs. FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) FMEA and Control Plans 3
Q FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) and Control Plan Process Diagrams FMEA and Control Plans 3
C Microscope Failure Modes and Horror Stories ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N Definition Potential Failure Mode Definition and How to identify Failure Modes? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 33
T Failure Modes on Fluke products? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C Does anyone have a Template of Failure Modes for Machining Operations? FMEA and Control Plans 4
T Failure Modes for Machine Set-up/Production Dimensional Checks FMEA and Control Plans 2
N Attr. R&R for subjective visual insp w/ multiple failure modes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J What determines the contents of an FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis)? FMEA and Control Plans 12
N PFMEA on lean tools - Failure modes of a PFMEA of the tool "implementation process", FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Family or individual PFMEA's (process failure modes effects analysis)? FMEA and Control Plans 3
A I have two doubts about PFMEA failure modes - How should I describe a "failure mode" FMEA and Control Plans 24
G PFMEA failure modes for Process Function of Inspection/test FMEA and Control Plans 10
Manix Failure Modes that are Solved by actions already in place! FMEA and Control Plans 7
A FMEA - How can I identify all the possible modes of failure? FMEA and Control Plans 16
I ISO 9001 Registration Audit coming soon - What Have I Missed? Failure modes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
T Standard Causes of Registration Audit Nonconformances and Typical Failure Modes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Marc TS 16949 Registrar Audit Failure Modes General Auditing Discussions 48
S Common "misses" (Failure Modes) in Initial TS 16949 Upgrade Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Program of the Day - Lifecycle and Failure Modes of 'Improvement' Programs Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 10
Marc AS 9100 Registrar Audits: Failure Modes General Auditing Discussions 27
Marc ISO 14001 Registrar Audits: Failure Modes General Auditing Discussions 4
T Process FMEA (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) Severity Rating and RPN IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
A ISO 9001 Registrar Audits: Failure Modes General Auditing Discussions 27
J Seeking: FMEA (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) Training Advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
Y FMEA Ranking and Prioritization - Failure Modes with higher severity first? FMEA and Control Plans 21
A Seeking Ideas: Raw Material Storage Process Failure Modes FMEA and Control Plans 3
N Why do 'we' and ?our? QMS?s stop working? What are the Failure Modes? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 62
T Seeking: FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects) Info FMEA and Control Plans 1
J FMEA Software to develop P&D Failure Modes Effects Analysis Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
T Risks of failure to meet intended use ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
W Pfmea function requirement and failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 6
P Missing 1m visual alarm signal in case of software/display failure, mitigation? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
D Failure rate vs hazard rate vs rate of failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
R Power Failure or Cold Start Situation in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
silentmonkey How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10