How to make Process Maps

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
For many years I used Smartdraw - CAUTION: Auto-Start Sound at the link :(

It does everything Visio does (including integrating with MS Word) and much more but cost a lot less.

There are quite a few flow chart programs out there.

ncwalker

Trusted Information Resource
I always always always use Excel.

Why?

You don't have as much of a learning curve, most people have used it and understand the concepts of opening, saving, etc.

Most companies have it. You don't have the "I can't open your file" aspect of things forcing you to constantly save your work, THEN save it again in a different format.

In the insert objects section, is pretty much everything you'd want as far as arrows, connectors, etc. It's not as easy to use as, say, Visio at first. And you lose the benefit of standardized formatting.

But in my years out there now, I have never had someone say "That's not the standard symbol for a ...." It's more speed and accuracy that they want.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I have never used Excel, but I have used Powerpoint. It does a decent job and has some built in flow chart symbols, lines will "auto-connect", etc.

A big factor is how many people will use it. I think Visio charges per seat, too. Most places have the Office Suite which is why I assume Powerpoint and Excel are often used. Visio isn't part of the MS Office suite, so $$$

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
T IATF Process Maps/Turtles IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
A Medical Device Licensing - Plans or Process Maps Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A Process Changes, but Work Instructions/Process Maps are not updated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Are my Procedures Process Maps? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
F Process Maps as a complete QMS Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Process Maps vs. Activity Network Diagrams - Differences Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
Q Sales, different products/path to client, should be pictured each in Process Maps? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Process Maps: Sales, different products, more boxes - Critique my map? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Lot of Process Maps because of processes, sub-processes, activities? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
Q How detailed should Process Maps be? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
R Accounting for (Symbols for) Data Collection Points in Process Maps Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
L Process Maps - Change from Vertical to Horizontal Swimlanes - Visio Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
L Process Maps - What do I have to do? Pharmaceutical Industry Service Provider Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
B Process Maps - Start and End Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
Paul Simpson Which of these are Processes and should have Process Maps and why? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 133
J Main Map and Major Process Maps or Turtle Diagrams Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Q Process Maps identified as inadequate during registrar's Document audit Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 20
N Process Maps - If not a requirement for ISO 9001:2000, why bother? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 16
J Are Process Maps Mandatory (Required)? TS 16949 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 11
R Expected Process Maps - Requirement to somehow document how these processes work? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 20
A ISO 9001 Process Maps - Please Review Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 15
I Process Maps - I made my mind up - We do not need maps Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
J Should "process maps" be challenged? Does TS 16949 require process maps or not? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
C Where are these employess in the process maps? Secretaries, Messenger Boy, Clean Lady Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
V Process Mapping - Is there anyone using process maps to meet 4.1 requirements? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
T Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 20
CarolX Does ISO 9001:2000 Specifically Require Process Maps? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
N Document Formats: Text Procedures vs. Flow Charts (Process Maps) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 42
R Are we required by ISO 9001:2000 to have process maps for each department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 61
A Internal Audits - Can we to perform audit just using process maps? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 4
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2