How to measure effectiveness and efficiency of the established QMS as Auditors

M

mohsinroxy

How can we measure effectiveness and efficiency of the established QMS as Auditors, implementing organization & customers? it will answer the question of what needs to be changed in the ISO 9001:2015

AndyN

Moved On
How can we measure effectiveness and efficiency of the established QMS as Auditors, implementing organization & customers? it will answer the question of what needs to be changed in the ISO 9001:2015

I don't believe it's the auditor's job to measure effectiveness and efficiency! Auditors are there to independently validate the management processes are as they were planned to be and, hence, are performing to plan.

Putting responsibility for measuring on the auditors is wrong, IMHO.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

mohsinroxy,

Of course, your internal auditors should already be gathering and evaluating evidence of effectiveness.

But auditors themselves measuring effectiveness and efficiency would suggest to me that the managers are not doing their job.

It would also compromise the independence of auditors when they are auditing their organization's measurement of effectiveness and efficiency of the QMS and its processes.

Indeed, you may already have evidence of system weakness that is in need of corrective action.

John

sowmya

Involved - Posts

The fruit of QMS is continual improvement. but it is everybody's responsibility.Why you say "as Auditors"?

K

kgott

I don't believe it's the auditor's job to measure effectiveness and efficiency! Auditors are there to independently validate the management processes are as they were planned to be and, hence, are performing to plan.

Putting responsibility for measuring on the auditors is wrong, IMHO.

I agree Andy but most of us are also the QA/Quality/Management systems coach/mentor and trainer in most organisations. As such, we find ourselves 'teaching' management about the value and 'how to' of measuring the management system effectiveness and efficiency.

K

kgott

To try and answer the OP's question, I would suggest things like:

customer complaints
customer comments
audit results
failure rates
improvement actions taken
preventative actions taken
control charts where they exist

are the sorts of things that management might look at but exactly what this information reveals is another thing.

Perhaps others might chime in with some other things to consider.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I agree Andy but most of us are also the QA/Quality/Management systems coach/mentor and trainer in most organisations. As such, we find ourselves 'teaching' management about the value and 'how to' of measuring the management system effectiveness and efficiency.

kgott,

Having worked with the CEO to show the leaders how to turn their organization into an effective and efficient system, quality professionals would then monitor and report how well the leaders and managers measure and improve the performance of their organization.

For the auditors to do the measurement would lengthen the control cycle and conceal the system weakness. Auditors would lose their independence as they fail to report that leaders and managers are not fulfilling their clause 4.1c, clause 5 and clause 8.2.3 requirements.

As quality professionals, are we making life easy for ourselves? Do we see our failure to remove a system weakness as short-term job preservation?

Perhaps, with leaders and managers abrogating their responsibility for running the organization, we see another reason why our companies fail.

Being as we already have the evidence, it is better for us not to wait for the auditor but to invoke the corrective action(s) now to strengthen the system with effective leadership.

John

Top Bottom