How to Present Action Plans in Response to Internal Audit Findings?

S

Silbil

How to present action plans

Hi all

I'm a student in QA, and for one assignment we have a case study. Given the findings of an internal audit (with no statistics or results of any investigation to find root causes of problems) we are to come up with improvements and an action plan.

My question is, how do you present an action plan? Since I don't have any results or findings, I can only suggest possible causes, and require a Quality Improvement team to investigate and come up with the most likely solutions to implement. So I can't really use a time frame.

Anyway back to the point - what sort of format do you use to present action plans, and what to include?

Thanks in advance

Silbil

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

Action Plan

For your assignment, you are being asked to portray the role of a department manager receiving a Corrective Action Request. CAR. It is now your responsibility to determine Cause and Corrective Action. I guess as a "Quality" person, they want you to know what it's like on the receiving end of a CAR. You determine the Root Cause, why it happened, and Corrective Action, what you do immediately to correct the deficiency. There is then "Preventive Action", what you intend to do to prevent it from happening again.
Most CAR's have a form that is used to address those areas. For now, you can use a memo format, broken down into three sections. Call it "Action Plan". 1. Root Cause, 2. Corrective Action, 3. Preventive Action. There may be, a question as to how you measure the effectiveness of your preventive actions. A possible answer may be that you will monitor routinely for deviations of this type. That can be thrown into the section dealing with Preventive Action. Welcome to the world of Quality. Yes, Quality, JW.:vfunny: Good Luck. Keep us posted, whatever you decide to do. Then we can all mix it up real good for you. :ko: :smokin:

G

Greg Maggard

Hello,
I suggest you try looking at the PDCA method. (PLAN, Do, Check, Action) This is just one of many methods. I actually taught the TPS (Toyota Problem Solving) for years. This is also a simple approach to what you seek. Any search engine will have this information. I actually have a slide show for TPS if you are interested.:) 5- why (Why made, why shipped) I also have PFS (Problem Follow up sheet) attached, just click read only.

Hope this helps. :evidence:

Attachments

H

HFowler

Silbil,

There are many "Corrective Action Forms" available that could be used to document an action plan. A generic one that I found by a quick search of the internet can be found at the link below:

http://www.asu.faa.gov /ASU200/QualitySystem/QF-01.doc

An action plan should show as a minimum:
- Reference to the finding being addressed,
- The action / recommendation,
- The person(s) responsible,
- Proposed implementation date(s),
- Date of completion

You exhibit very sound thinking in questioning:

...how do you present an action plan? Since I don't have any results or findings, I can only suggest possible causes, and require a Quality Improvement team to investigate and come up with the most likely solutions to implement.

Good luck in your assignment. You have come to the right place to get helpful advice. Read the comments of others for possible solutions to your case study.

Best Regards,
Hank Fowler
:)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Greg Maggard said:

Hello,
I suggest you try looking at the PDCA method. (PLAN, Do, Check, Action) This is just one of many methods. I actually taught the TPS (Toyota Problem Solving) for years. This is also a simple approach to what you seek. Any search engine will have this information. I actually have a slide show for TPS if you are interested.:) 5- why (Why made, why shipped) I also have PFS (Problem Follow up sheet) attached, just click read only.
Nice sheet! Thanks, Greg!

Good link, Hank! There's a lot out there if you know where and how to look for it, isn't there.

Here's a complex one: http://Elsmar.com/pdf_files/ - Look for NC_DBASE.pdf

G

Greg Maggard

Thx, I have a million of these type items cha cha cha cha:smokin:
Now if I could only get middle management to use the darn thing I would be cooking with gas :vfunny:

D

David Mullins

another aussie

Silbil

What were the findings of the audit?

It sounds like you have to make some assumptions.

As the other guys have suggested:
- determine (fictitious) root cause.
- decide what to do with the nonconfoming product (if you have any), dispositioning - throw it, rework it under concession, etc
- decide how to prevent the findings from recurring.
- what procedures, machines, programmes, etc need to be altered and by when.
- advice to other parties/customers required?

All this sort activity, and more, is included in the action plan.

R

Rick Goodson

Silbil,

A couple of additional remarks. As others have stated, you need to first do a root cause analysis. This will involve some process, many have been mentioned, that uses the basic quality tools to determine the root cause of the problem. Usually the auditor identifies the symptoms of the problem. By definition the auditor should not be providing a solution only a statement of the 'problem' as they see it. Although I am not a big fan of the automotive paperwork mill, the '8D' or '7D' problem solving processes do work well. Marc has references and help here in the Cove files.

Once you get to the root cause and have selected, once again using the basic quality tools, a solution, you need to develop an action plan for implementation. If using an 8D problem solving process solution selection will be included. The important thing about the action plan is to include the three W's, what, who, and when. Final step, evaluationof the success of the solution at a future date. Go back and make sure the implemented solution fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Greetings,

I'll take a stab here, not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I read it as saying "I need to know what format to to use to answer a nonconformance" If I missed the intent, just ignore me.:biglaugh:

Define the problem:
This may just be restating the nonconformance, or it may require a little digging to see if the the stated nonconformance is the true problem or a symptom of something larger.

Identify the cause:
Why did the nonconformance happen, what part(s) of the system did not contain the problem, I kind of use my own version of 5 whys. Keep asking until you can come up with no more reasons.

Plan to eliminate recurrance:
This is the corrective action part. What can you do to make sure that this problem is fixed? Remember that the solution should add value, not be more complicated or costly than the original nonconformance calls for, and most of all it needs to be something that can be implemented and effective within some reasonable time period (once again dependent upon the severity of the problem and its possibility of recurrance)

Assign Responsibilities:
Who will carry out each step of the corrective actions?

Schedule corrective actions:
When will each step be carried out? Make sure that if one action depends upon another action's completion that you schedule them accordingly. Also make sure that communications are adequate between the assignees.

Follow up on the activities:
Schedule a date to follow up on what has been done. Was it effective? Was it timely?

Does this help??;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Richard Regalado What could go wrong with information: Ransomware statistics and facts (2018 to present) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
E Layouts : Can you "verify" things that are not visible (such as loctite present, internal dimensions) in a layout ? APQP and PPAP 2
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
C How should I present Internal Audit results to Management in Management Review Internal Auditing 18
Colin Kids love the box more than the present Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
K Seeking Non Silicone Declaration (that no silicone is present) Template RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
G Internal Audit Report Meeting - Who should be present? Internal Auditing 19
U Ideas or example on how to analyze and present results on data collected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K How to present the problem to your supplier General Manager in 5 minutes. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
A After Calculating SPC - Special Cause of Variation is Present Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
P How much balance do you feel is present in your life? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
F What's the best way to present benchmarking data? Benchmarking 6
Z SPC Data presentation - The best way to present histograms in a dashboard format Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
Sidney Vianna Longevity at work - How long have you been working for your present employer? Career and Occupation Discussions 85
J Does a Lead Auditor need to be present at an audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A How to present our quality efforts to our production people and during training? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
S Preventive Actions - Share yours, past and present Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 10
Q Suggestions for 50th wedding anniversary present? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
C Vision System which verifies the correct part is present - Calibration / Verification Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
G What to present for 'Lessons Learned" from audits to Sony Ericsson - Supplier to SE Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
apestate Need supplier, error-proof inspection of ID threads present attribute Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
C Present Employer Contact Details - May we contact your present employer? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
H As an auditor or MR, how to present the result after the QMS assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Help! Looking for ideas to present during a top management kickoff meeting IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
I Who should be present during certification audits (ISO 9001/14001)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
T Quotations - Famous Quotes from Ancient to the Present Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 74
M An outline for a Total Quality Management programme to present to senior executives Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 9
I Setting action completion dates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Medical device Mode Of Action CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Corrective Action Timing - IATF CB Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R AS 9100D - Containment and Corrective action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Q Tips for Action Requests on Communication and Leadership ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P Corrective Action Response for Missed bumps on brake press Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I When exactly can a corrective action be closed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Informational TGA – Australian regulatory action on breast implants and breast tissue expanders Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Medical Device Safety Action Plan: Protecting Patients, Promoting Public Health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Juby Tan Action on Customer Replacement (Nonconforming Product - ISO 9001) Customer Complaints 2
qualprod Add new action plans in CA, while waiting effectiveness - Same problem reappears ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Informational The FDA Takes Action to Protect Patients from Risk of Certain Textured Breast Implants; Requests Allergan Voluntarily Recall Certain Breast Implants a Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L What to do if a Corrective Action requires several extensions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10