How to process Customer ECO's (Engineering Change Orders)

D

dillydally

:bigwave:Hello! I am new to the ISO process and have been tasked with getting the procedures and work instructions written.
Some background......the company is a "service" company that supplies repair/rework for legacy product to 1 customer (at the moment). The legacy product is 20+ years old and sometimes the customer sends ECO's replacing components.
My question is two fold......1. What kind of doc control do I need to set up for this? Can I just use the customer's ECO and control it or do I have to make up the company's own ECO form and control it?
ANY comments would help!
:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Customer ECO's

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

There are a couple of things that should be happening. You should be getting a change notice (obviously), and you should invoke control over what happens after an ECO arrives. You don't necessarily need a form of your own; the customer's ECO is a document of external origin and should be controlled accordingly. If you think having your own form might help, that's fine but it isn't necessary.

As far as control of the process is concerned, you might need to think about:
  • When the transition to the new version is to take place;
  • Whether or not the components you need are or will be available;
  • Possible upcharges if the new component costs more than the old one, or involves more work.
  • Having a purchase order in hand that specifies the new revision;
  • Disposition of existing inventory of components or finished assemblies.
You get the idea. There might be some of those things that don't apply, and others that I missed, either because I'm not very bright or because you know your business better than I do. Create a working process and then document it.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Jim is on track. This is the second thread today on Engineering Change Orders. I'm adding this following excerpt from an older post of mine on the process to EACH of these threads as pertinent to the topic.
May I suggest you add the following to the cover sheet which accompanies any changed document as it makes the rounds for approval before becoming the most recent version?
Quote:
_Change Classification
_Class I - Form, Fit, Function
_Class II - Clarification, Correction
_Class III - Long Lead Release Only

ChangePriority
_Low
_High
_Medium

Engineering Change Notification
     
Reason
_New Release
_Revision to Existing
_Design Change
_Product Improvement
_Post-Production Modification
_Customer Request
_Supplier Request
_Other (explain below)

Stock

_Stock is not Affected
_Utilize Remaining Stock
_Purge Stock and Rework
_Purge Stock and Scrap
_Other (Explain)

Impact

_Incorporate on Next Order
_Incorporate on Next Installation
_Affects Current Production Units
_Affects Fielded Units
_Not Affected (New Release)

Cost & Schedule

_No Cost Change
_Cost Increase
_Cost Decrease
_No Schedule Change
_Schedule Delay
_Schedule Improvement

D

dillydally

Thanks to you and Jim for your inputs. I will proceed and if I need any other advise (which I'm sure I will), I will send another post.

S

ssz102

first, you can work out a change control for customer's documents, and included for this documents as below:
1. responsiblities assigned of each dept such as PM, QA, Production and ME etc;
2.review effectiveness for these ECOs and considered if it is need to re-quote
3.how conduct these parts befor changed and when carry out new ECOs?
4.whether need provide new first article to approvaled by customer?

D

dillydally

Thanks for your input SSZ102, but this company is very small and operates with very few full time people and has no PM or ME. There is no full blown Quality Department, just people making sure the product delivered back to the customer is compliant with their needs.
We do review each customer ECO to see if there will be increased cost to us and advise the customer accordingly.
All ECO's received from the customer MUST be implemented ASAP as the product is in the "legacy" stage and needs to be returned within 2 days to the customer so there is little down time.
I do appreciate your input though and when we get to be a larger company we will most definately implement these processes.
:yes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S What is the process of capturing "oral" customer complaints? Customer Complaints 9
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
C Customer control of supplier's process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
P Customer Validated Special Process Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Process Changes - Customer Notification Requirements APQP and PPAP 12
J Why are there Customer Complaints when the process is in control? Six Sigma 24
J Customer wants a P-value with our initial Process Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) linkage to IQA process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
F How does Process Mapping help to make a process more Transparent to the Customer? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
K Should prices be included in customer related process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Outsourced process and customer requirement of ISO/TS certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
H Customer Requirements and Request for all Process Details and Documents APQP and PPAP 8
N Customer Focus Process Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 4
S Design Change Drawing Reviews and Customer Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Confusion in writing a SIPOC (Supplier, Input, Process, Output, Customer) Six Sigma 5
D Customer Complaints and Visual Inspections - Process FMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 2
I Co-Development Process - Separating our development activities from our customer's ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
W Customer Complaints captured in CA (Corrective Action) Process Customer Complaints 12
I Process description of "customer requirements" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J When to Update PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Rejection is found at the customer FMEA and Control Plans 12
T Monitoring the monitoring process - Customer complaint process isn't being monitored IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
H Customer Complaint Process Flow Chart example needed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Customer processes Versus our Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Procedure for "Customer Acceptance of a design or process change" Design and Development of Products and Processes 12
B Customer keeps rejecting my Process Control Plan (PCP) FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Customer is also my supplier - Should I perform an audit to his process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Douglas E. Purdy Delphi CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) and LPAs (Layered Process Audit) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H Payment as Customer Oriented Process (COP)- Looking for audit checksheet. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
kedarg6500 PPAP for Continuous Process like Copper Wire Enameling but SWG differs per customer APQP and PPAP 3
M Customer Related Process Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J How to comply with 7.2.1 - Customer Related Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Exclusion of 7.2 Customer Related Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
samer Hit ratio of customer satisfaction process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
S Process of dealing with the Customer - PRRs, GQTS Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
R A process for quality policy/management commitment & customer focus? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A 8D process question - Potentially defective product in your customer base Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
A Sharing best practices in customer satisfaction monitoring process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 17
S Acronym COP (Customer Oriented Process) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
H COP (Customer Oriented Process), MOP and SOP Examples and Explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
E What is the purpose of the AIAG's PPAP process? Elimination of customer inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A How to write a letter informing a customer of a process relocation? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S TS 16949 Clause 4.1: COPs (Customer Oriented Processes) and Process Flow IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
G Post Sales Customer Feedback - A COP (Customer Oriented Process)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
T Customer Part Approval Process Manual? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
G Defining Process Changes and Customer Notification Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
L Measureables: Efficiency - Effectiveness of COP (Customer Oriented Process) and KSP ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
O COP (Customer Oriented Process) for Market Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Definition Internal Customer vs. Process Partner - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2