How to properly measure serrations on hardware

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
The strobe light can assess the equally spaced aspect, but without a measurement of width, per se. There is a tolerance on width.

A novel idea I had was to lay the part on a photocopier and measure the width of the serrations with a ruler from the photocopy. That is a poor man's optical comparator as long as the part lies flat. You would have to validate the method for any distortion that might be introduced by the copier, I was merely trying to speed things up by thinking outside the box. If you can't get enough precision with a ruler, maybe you have a toolmaker's microscope.

I suppose you could assess the equally spaced call-out by numbering the 16 wedges, cutting them out from the photocopy, and stacking them up.

There is also a tolerance on the height of the serrations. I don't think anyone yet proposed a method to measure the height....

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
The strobe light can assess the equally spaced aspect, but without a measurement of width, per se. There is a tolerance on width.
Which is why I suggested this as a go/no-go method for examining outputs. I completely believe that an optical comparator can make a reliable measure of ONE of the serrations on the disc. I have a suspicion that the most important feature of this part is the even spacing of evenly made edges, but I'm not the designer of the part.

The most annoying feature of the timing-light approach would be IMO if one of the serrations was misaligned/malformed, it becomes necessary to closely study each one to find the culprit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N How do you properly seal gauges for storage? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
O Is it mandatory for Medical Devices to work properly after dielectric strength tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 34
M Help with SCAR - Not all sub-assemblies had properly received a First Article Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion IAF CertSearch Database - Repository of "properly" Accredited Management System Certs ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 88
drgnrider Calibration Schedule (Frequency) not properly reflected on Laboratory Paperwork Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
E How to Properly Apply Linearity - How does it "Fit"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Aerospace Parts not Evaluated Properly by Trained Person AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna How do philanthropic foundations ensure their projects are properly managed? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Paperwork not Properly Filled Out and Signed Off Internal Auditing 9
Stijloor The Government can not print money properly... World News 8
E Control of Outsourced Processes (not properly described in the quality manual) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 44
S How to show that policies are properly communicated & Training Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G How to properly check British Standard threads? 3-wire method and a supermic General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 39
M How to Properly Calibrate a Bore Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
K Training package to help train operators how to use a measuring devices properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P U-chart Sanity/File Review - Is the chart constructed properly? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Who is responsible? Checking if the documents are properly in order ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M I have a feeling that my talent is not utilised properly Career and Occupation Discussions 11
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
PQ Systems Cpk: Indispensible Index or Misleading Measure Using SQCpack Software 0
V MSA - Using a R&R study for a Tape Measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
K 10 parts, 4 operators, 3 replications and each part has 3 location to measure. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A How to measure the performance of ISMS? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
M How to measure a plastic cap General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
C First Article Inspections - 'how to measure' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Gage R&R and right way to measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
P How to measure DPPM in Chemical batch manufacturing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
silentmonkey How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Validity / outcomes measure for custom made medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Performance specification as a Risk Control Measure, EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
J KPIs or Metrics to Measure a New Complaint Handling Process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
D Torque fractional unit of measure; cN-m or N-cm? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
qualprod ISO 9001 5.1.1 - How to measure System effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J How to measure a Critical Characteristic that is a Basic Dimension Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
1 How to measure straightness on a HEX Long Bar Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Ron Rompen Measurement Method Challenge - Measure feature #91 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
G Measure 3 times, for calibration report? Customer Owned Reference Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Informational The ANSM decides, as a precautionary measure, to withdraw from the market macrotextured breast implants and breast implants with polyurethane-coated s Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada advises Allergan of its intent to suspend its licences for Biocell breast implants as a precautionary measure Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
U SI 13 - Not Every Process Requires an Efficiency Measure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P NPR Metric - What if Customer has relaxed measure? TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
T Tape Measure, the right device for 2 or 3 decimals accuracy on prints General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8