How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure

I am working on a dataset that has records of machines tested until failure. As usual in testing environments, we don't necessarily have complete data with machines running until failure since the test duration is fixed and limited.

So my idea is to apply survival analysis to not ignore the censored data but I am facing some road blocks in try to understand the how to predict time to failure and the how to intepret the results. I have compiled the data in such a way that I have the machine IDs, the duration until failure or until test ended if censored and status whether dead or censored. There are some covariates as well and when I tried to apply Cox regression, I realised that the prediction value I was getting were risk rates rather that time to event. Since I am coming from mainly data science approach, I am not very familiar with using survival analysis but I am still interest to leverage its usefulness especially in dealing with censored observations.

I would appreciate some insights and advice on how to proceed and how to properly apply the models and also on the required hypothesis testing. I am using mainly R and python to work on this. Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Is it mandatory for Medical Devices to work properly after dielectric strength tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 34
M Help with SCAR - Not all sub-assemblies had properly received a First Article Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion IAF CertSearch Database - Repository of "properly" Accredited Management System Certs ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 77
drgnrider Calibration Schedule (Frequency) not properly reflected on Laboratory Paperwork Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
E How to Properly Apply Linearity - How does it "Fit"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Aerospace Parts not Evaluated Properly by Trained Person AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna How do philanthropic foundations ensure their projects are properly managed? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Paperwork not Properly Filled Out and Signed Off Internal Auditing 9
Stijloor The Government can not print money properly... World News 8
E Control of Outsourced Processes (not properly described in the quality manual) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 44
S How to show that policies are properly communicated & Training Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G How to properly check British Standard threads? 3-wire method and a supermic General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 39
M How to Properly Calibrate a Bore Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
K Training package to help train operators how to use a measuring devices properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P U-chart Sanity/File Review - Is the chart constructed properly? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Who is responsible? Checking if the documents are properly in order ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M I have a feeling that my talent is not utilised properly Career and Occupation Discussions 11
R Minitab - Reliability / Survival Distribution Analysis Using Minitab Software 1
K Automotive Winter Survival Kit for the northeastern USA Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 30
J How to run a Survival Analysis in Minitab Using Minitab Software 13
C Multiple Censored Tests to find out the Survival Probability Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
A Manufacturing survival in US/ Canada Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
E Survival of the Coffee Break Forum Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 43
Marc 'Quality' Is Not Dead - A Term paper - Survival of quality (your job) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D Risk Analysis using Monte Carlo Simulation instead of Scoring and Heat Map Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 2
A Attribute Analysis for colour matching scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Recurrent event analysis software (python) General Auditing Discussions 2
E Normal Condition Hazards in Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M MDSAP and 13485:2016 gap analysis Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
M Gap analysis on ISO 14971:2019 with previous revision ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
H ISO 13485:2016 Gap Analysis by NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Has anyone done an IEC 60601-1 gap analysis to IEC 60335? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M What is PESTLE Analysis and is it mandatory? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
0 Interesting Discussion Analysis of half normal distribution in minitab Using Minitab Software 11
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5