How to prove that Cr oxide makes a stent biocompatible (e-polished 316LVM)

P

Plamen Petkov

Dear friends,
Our firm manufactures coronary stent systems where the stent is made from ?surgical? 316LVM stainless steel. Now we apply for a certificate under Directive 93/42/EEC Annex II Section 4. The Assessor of our documentation wants me to prove him that the passive layer of chromium oxide, formed on the surface of our device through electropolishing, is responsible for the biocompatibility and corrosion resistance of the stent. I made for him literature review with the conclusion that without chromium oxide, stents made from 316LVM are of little use, but now he asks me ?How do you know that the equivalent to your devices, Boston Sc ? Liberte Monorail, Terumo ? Tsunami Gold, and Abbot ? Multilink Zeta, have the same layer of chromium oxide on the surface?? Looking into the catalogues for these devices I could not find evidence for that, even that they undergo electropolishing. Could anybody give some advice how to convince the Assessor that there is chromium oxide on the equivalent devices?
Thanks,
Plamen

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
Re: How to prove that Cr oxide makes a stent biocompatible

Not really sure I understand your problem, but maybe this helps to point you into the right direction:
To provide evidence of biocompatibility you'd look into ISO 10993 and perform all the relevant testing. Part of that would be corrosion testing per 10993-15 (or ASTM F2129 for the US) which would show that the passive layer (the chromium oxide) on the surface of the device is stable and prevents corrosion. You'd maybe have to validate your e-polishing process to show that it is reproducible.

Now, I read it that (as e-polished 316LVM is not exactly new) you'd like to leverage literature and/or predicate data instead of performing all the tests per 10993. In that case I'd start with certificates of the chemical composition and provide corrosion testing to show that the device is corrosion resistant. Next step might be a full chemical analysis per 10993-18 and an Auger analysis of the surface. If you need to use the predicates to generate your acceptance criteria then you need to test those also.

From your post I could not determine what exactly the concerns of your "Assessor" (internal, notified body, consultant?) really are and who actually brought up the competitor devices, so maybe my answer will not help you very much. In that case please let us know more details...

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
~~~ Welcome to the COVE Plamen Petkov ~~~
Your technical file for the stents must have test reports of bio-compatibility performed per ISO10993 on your manufactured stents. Literature review cannot be a substitution for tests towards assessing your stents bio-compatibility.

Last edited:
M

MIREGMGR

Your technical file for the stents must have test reports of bio-compatibility performed per ISO10993 on your manufactured stents. Literature review cannot be a substitution for tests towards assessing your stents bio-compatibility.
I don't think this is correct. Conformance to standards is one means of demonstrating conformance to Essential Requirements, but it is not the only allowed means. Demonstration by means of literature review might be accepted by an assessor, though in this case it apparently wasn't deemed sufficient. Comparison to predicate devices might be accepted as well, and in this case clearly such a comparison is relevant to the assessor since comparative questions have been asked.

TWA - not the airline

I agree with MIREGMGR. There is some degree of freedom regarding the way you demonstrate meeting the essential requirements and in my experience there are some NBs who would accept an approach based on literature and predicate devices.
Also 10993-1 talks about using existing data and (in annex 3) gives you suggestions regarding how to evaluate literature data. And throughout all 10993 there is the requirement not to unnecessarily repeat animal testing when there is already data and to prefer in-vitro testing over in-vivo if you can get to the same conclusions. So if e-polished 316LVM has been sufficiently (-> gap analysis!) tested in the past, all you have to do is summarize that data and show that your surface is equivalent using in-vitro characterization techniques. So even the standard does not force you to perform all the testing...

Q

QuaProQuo

~~~ Welcome to the COVE Plamen Petkov ~~~
I would definitely agree, some level of biocompatibility testing is required, to show that your materials, polishing techniques, etc. are at least bio-inert in vitro. The tests are fairly standard and may even yield supportive marketing results as well. Implantables in EU are really being scrutinized these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Plamen Petkov

Many thanks,
All of you have given me very precious advices. The Assessor is the notified body who is going to give the recommendation for the issue of the certificate under Directive 93/42/EEC Annex II Section 4. We have chosen 316L because it has been studied a lot and if reasonable rationale is given, we?d be able to waive actual testing. Of course the most proper way is to perform all testing to the relevant parts of 10993, but because this is time and money consuming, my boss ordered me to follow the literature route. Moreover the clinical investigation performed on the basis of the comparison between our device and the mentioned predicate ones, showed one and the same clinical outputs for all devices after all periods of follow-up ? 30 days, 6 and 12 months ? no patient died, nobody developed any disease as a result of stenting, all show health improvement etc. The mentioned before predicate devices have been chosen because ours is equivalent to them ? we try to prove that with a document Demonstration of Equivalence ? and since they are already legally on the market, they must have passed all relevant testing. I was hoping that if I find a documental evidence that the predicate devices have been e-polished (I am certain about that!), I?d be able to argue the statement that the surface properties of our stent are the same as these of the devices already on the market. The weak point that I see is to prove the quality of our e-polishing process which is perfect, but not validated.
I will stop boring you but remain open for any other suggestions.
Regards,
Plamen

TWA - not the airline

This now makes it a little bit clearer. So some more things to think about:

1) The fact that the predicates are legally marketed does not mean that they passed all relevant testing, just that the company convinced their NB that they met all requirements. If you could look up their documentation then maybe you'd find a chain of rationales dating back to some device that was discontinued 2003... That is the main problem with predicates: most of the time you do not have all the data you'd actually need, especially for showing equivalence.
2) Next problem with predicates is that their clinical/market history does not tell you all that much. Which changes occured since introduction? Which problems did they have that did not lead to reportable actions, so you do not know about them? How is the detectability regarding the risks for which you'd like to leverage post market data from your competitors?

But back to your situation: You should find in the literature enough SEM pictures of e-polished 316L and also other surface treatments. So some inexpensive SEMs comparing literature, your device and the predicates might be the start of your showing equivalency. Next would be chemical certs and corrosion testing acc. to 10993-15. Maximum I would initially do is Auger analysis of the surface.
Although your NB is not allowed to act as a consultant, it is not uncommon to approach them with your concept and ask them if that would be acceptable and if not what they think is missing. They cannot tell you how to address the missing items/links, but in that case you could come back to the Cove...

Hope that helps...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Do we have to prove a link between the mill and our raw material supplier? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
P How to Scientifically Prove the Importance of a Process - CMMI Process Areas Software Quality Assurance 7
B How to prove that an organization implements anti bribery policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C UDI Label Verification - How do we ensure the barcode is correct and prove it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S How to Statistically Prove 2 Dimensions are Related Using Minitab Software 18
U Sample size to prove parts are good with 99.73% confidence Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L What needs to be done to prove compliance with RoHS and WEEE EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Is MSA useful to prove a Measurement System after Relocation? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Testing a US device in Europe to prove Equivalence in a ?head-to-head? Study EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Reliability Prove-out, Pass-Fail Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
K What would you give up to prove conformity and honesty? Internal Auditing 21
S ISO 17025 requirements not enough to prove NIST Traceability? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
I Prove or disprove that a cube can be cut in 27 smaller cubes in less than 6 cuts Brain Teasers and Puzzles 14
M How do I prove I don't receive a controlled product? Ractopamine Hydrochloride Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
C Clinical Data to Prove Equivalence Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
U Can anyone prove that: 2x2=5 ? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 63
D Testing an Inspector to Prove Competency in Visual Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
S Lean System Developer - How should I work to prove myself? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
D How to Prove and Explain to Consultant (Internal Auditor) and Manager? Internal Auditing 7
M Planning requirement 5.4: How should the management prove compliance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J How to prove that we conform to legal requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
L Is there any way to prove a process is in control other than with a control chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
H How do we prove that we are improving the continual improvement process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
L How do you prove you need resources? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J Finished Goods Testing - Using historical test data to prove finished goods OK Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Contract Review - How do you prove it? Contract Review Process 16
K Statistical Hypothesis Testing to prove signficant quality improvement or decline Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Informational USFDA Ethylene Oxide Sterilization for Medical Devices website Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA Posts Information about Ethylene Oxide Sterilization and Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T ISO 10993-7 - Ethylene oxide sterilization residues Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation-Reference Load Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D Ethylene Oxide Sterilization aeration Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Ethylene Oxide Sterile Implantable Medical Device Shelf Life Extension Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Zinc Oxide as a Topical Application EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Product definition for Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D Adding an extra Label on an Ethylene Oxide Sterilized Box ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Switching Master Product in EO (Ethylene Oxide) Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
C Black Oxide Gage Pin Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Decision to file a new 510(k) - ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
V Ethylene Oxide Testing Requirements as per US-pharmacopoeia Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization Audit Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
Sam Lazzara Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation question Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
M Is Dental Impression Paste (Zinc Oxide and Eugenol) a Drug 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
arios Moving from Ethylene Oxide to Gamma Sterilization - What is required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
I EO (Ethylene Oxide) Residuals - EN ISO 10993-7:2008 EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M EO (Ethylene Oxide) and ECH (Ethylene Chlorohydrin) Residual as per ISO 10993-7:2008 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
A Designing an Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
M Effect of double ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Ethylene Oxide Gas Shelf Life ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Biological Indicator Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11