How to put in place a Risk Assessment of Vulnerabilities & Corruption...

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi..
As a part of Sustainability drive, our customer is looking at us to have in place a Risk assessment of vulnerabilities & corruption. Can anyone guide me through how this can be put in place. Are there any standards or other documents that you can lead me to. I will be happy if someone can also send any attachments about this.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ncwalker

Trusted Information Resource
Risk Assessments - fun, fun, fun.

The first problem is everyone says "do a risk assessment ...." And what they really typically mean is more of an FMEA. They want you to consider what could go wrong, and take steps to prevent it.

A true assessment results in a score, that you can use comparatively between options and select the one of least risk. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a canned, generic risk assessment.

I could do a risk assessment on Trump's cabinet picks OR I could do an assessment on boat shipments getting captured by pirates OR I could do one on will my new manufacturing line make the needed timing. And in all of these, the QUESTIONS I would ask would be totally different. So you can't just say "risk assessment" without any qualifies as to what it is actually assessing. "Trump's Cabinet Risk Assessment" has a qualifier and makes more sense.

So how do you do it?

Pretty much, you brainstorm a bunch of questions that need to be answered and assign a pass/fail or Likert scale (strongly disagree to strongly agree) and add up the score. Pay close attention that they all align - how you WORD the question may drive whether or not the high number is the good number or the bad number. They all need to be logically oriented the same way.

Here's the weakness with this - it then leads to all questions counting the same. Which may be very misleading. In my "Trump's Cabinet" assessment, one question may be "Are they addicted to drugs?" and another may be "Are they older than 70?" Clearly, the one is more important than the other..... But if their score counts the same, you may not get good discrimination.

So the next level is you then RANK the scores. Give them weight. You can do this by sitting around flinging weights out there. I find that this is not productive and time consuming. There's lots of arguing over the ranks. The alternative to this is you can use something called "The Pairwise Comparison" method.

Here's a link to how it works ...

The goal of this is to appropriately weight your factors. Basically, it works like this:

1) You come up with your questions/factors and put them in a matrix.
2) You use this matrix to step through your factors, comparing only two at a time. Why? It's usually easier to agree on "which is the most important?" when you are only comparing two things instead of an entire list.
3) This exercise then accumulates wins and losses in the comparison, and THAT then becomes your ranking. In other words, if "Addicted to Drugs" comes out as more important than most things on the list, it will have the highest rank.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
I What do you have to put in place for Sterile Procedure Packs? MDD Article 12 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M MSA - According to the formula cg how much tolerance should be put in place? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Metrics to be put in place in our Test department - First Pass Yield and Paretos Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Z Do we still have to put UDI if we have DI and lot number seperately on our product ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D QMS Documentation Process - I want to put all the Process SOPs to a QMS system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C What are rules to notify customers if IATF cert is put on hold? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
D When Quoting an ISO Standard should I put the quote in italics? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N Microsoft Word - How to make high-light go away after text is put in Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
A Two Identical Medical Devices put in different Classes - Class I and Class II 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L RAPS RAC EU Certificate: is anyone going to put hands on? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Crusader Certificate of Compliance - Put a form number on it or not? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D Multiple Discrepancies put on one SCAR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
I ISO 9001:2008 4.2 Documentation - Where to put a Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
D What Information to put on an Internal Chemical List Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
AnaMariaVR2 Why modern maps put everyone at the centre of the world Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
S What Spill Containment to Put at Dock Door Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
T What should I put on my Quality Notice Board? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T What should I put on my Environmental Notice Board? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
V We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer. APQP and PPAP 1
M Trying to take current documentation and put it into ISO forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Equipment Lifetime: Put in operation manual or a individual document/declaration Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M AS9101 Appendix D question - What to put in Box 8 ?Process Name? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
D How do you put confidence bounds around bimodal data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B Do we need to put the box around the SN symbol listed in EN 980? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Wes Bucey Put some zip in your resume or cover letter Career and Occupation Discussions 1
V Is it OK to put 2 Part Numbers on 1 PSW (Part Submission Warrant)? APQP and PPAP 12
B Urine Reagent Strips - Which directive should I put on the declaration? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Can we put two Manufacturer's address in IFU (Instructions For Use)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
E Where to put QMS Definitions, e.g. forms, policies, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Suggestions on what to put on an Employee ISO 9001 Intranet page ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Marc The Future - G.E.?s Breakthrough Can Put 100 DVDs on a Disc After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
J Suppliers for labels to put on medical device cables Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
K Where to put Product and Process Characteristics on the Control Plan. FMEA and Control Plans 1
K Where to put product and process characteristic in PFMEA (AIAG Manual 4th edition)? FMEA and Control Plans 6
J Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
bobdoering Isuzu, Toyota Put Clean Diesel Engine Project On Hold. World News 1
R Continental put the boot in.... Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
N Yields & Through Put Rates - Food processing industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Should I put Warehouse under Manufacturing Department? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
T How to put some teeth into a Non-Conformance Program Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
B Is there a need to put symbols into every steps of the Process flow diagram In HACCP? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
Marc Robert Heinlein Archives Scanned and Put Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M How do I control all the records we have? What do I put on a matrix? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15