How to quantify the Benefits of Internal and External OHS audits?

S

samsung

Recently I've been tasked to quantify the benefits of internal and external OHS audits on an annual basis. The purpose is to draw a baseline against which annual data can be compared. I'm trying to find a way out to deduce the benefits in measurable terms but with no success except concluding that the number of problems that previously existed are either now no more or have atleast reduced from the previous level.

Can anyone suggest me a way to do and present it in a logical way.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: How to quantify the benefits of internal & external OHS audits?

samsung,

May I suggest surveying your auditees as customers?

What value are they getting from internal audits and external audits?

Ratings could be quantitative (perhaps on a Likert scale) and qualititative (perhaps with some specific examples of improvements arising from audit).

Hopefully you are also able to detect any dependency on audit, perhaps by measuring the CARs initiated by audits versus those initiated by other events.

BTW, here is my paper on the value of well-crafted nonconformity statements.

One of the side-benefits of taking this approach could be an improved auditing programme.

John

S

samsung

Re: How to quantify the benefits of internal & external OHS audits?

John has produced an excellent paper (hyperlinked in his above post) on the value of well-crafted nonconformity statements but still I'm looking for some direct and logical ways to quantify the benefits accrued from internal & external OHS auditing.

I also tried to have a 'customer (auditee) survey' but it could not be ascertained from the outcome that the improvements reported by the respondents actually resulted from the audits alone. Most of the corrective actions implemented during past couple of years were mainly the results of increased level of awareness, self assessment, facility walk around or management review and only a negligible proportion could be attributed to internal or external audits.

Anyone who has really done a meaningful analysis or an exercise proving the worth of OHS audits, may share the views and results.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Audits are a means to verify a system is defined, implemented and is effective. The system is unquestionably the means to achieve rewards:

1) Fewer workplace injuries and health issues, resulting in (one leads to the next)
a) less lost work time,
b) better employee retention,
c) enhanced readiness-to-work, from skilled and caring people staying on the job versus needing replacements
d) increased customer satisfaction.

2) Improved reputation as an employer

3) Enhanced standing in the community

4) Money saved on fines and legal redress from workplace accidents.

While a good system can arguably do this without an internal and external audit function, the auditor brings certain benefits:

1) Not being part of the group that owns the process, the auditor may observe issues or patterns of issues that internal people do not.

2) Being outside of the group that owns the process means improvements can be driven expediently, via the non-conformance process.

3) Customers and the community tend to respect a system more if they know it's being scrutinized by entities that do #1 and #2.

I can appreciate your question. In today's hard driving management environment I am constantly having to justify my value. But I can point to many violations of the law that I, the internal auditor have forced to be corrected: violations that would have brought fines if some bad thing eventually happened and we were to go under government or legal scrutiny. That amounts to real money but prevention is always harder to prove than a bad event's occurrence and consequences. For that you can point to organizations that did not have an objective, attentive and devoted audit program, and the ghastly consequences of getting it systematically wrong and no one making the corrections.

But suppose something does go wrong in spite of the audits. OSHA has a policy of giving an organization credit for having a functioning program - doing so indicates the organization is intent upon doing the right thing. I don't know what kind of equivalent exists in your area, but I can vouch that this also works in legal circles, by ruling out negligence.

Lastly, if the auditor is skilled and educated in matters of workplace safety, you could actually do the math and point to that person's help in an ROI study of, for example getting a chemical labeling system cleaned up so employees don't drink acid when they believe they will be sipping water.

I hope this helps!

S

samsung

Audits are a means to verify a system is defined, implemented and is effective. The system is unquestionably the means to achieve rewards:

1) Fewer workplace injuries and health issues, resulting in (one leads to the next)
a) less lost work time,
b) better employee retention,
c) enhanced readiness-to-work, from skilled and caring people staying on the job versus needing replacements
d) increased customer satisfaction.

2) Improved reputation as an employer

3) Enhanced standing in the community

4) Money saved on fines and legal redress from workplace accidents.

While a good system can arguably do this without an internal and external audit function, the auditor brings certain benefits:

1) Not being part of the group that owns the process, the auditor may observe issues or patterns of issues that internal people do not.

2) Being outside of the group that owns the process means improvements can be driven expediently, via the non-conformance process.

3) Customers and the community tend to respect a system more if they know it's being scrutinized by entities that do #1 and #2.

I can appreciate your question. In today's hard driving management environment I am constantly having to justify my value. But I can point to many violations of the law that I, the internal auditor have forced to be corrected: violations that would have brought fines if some bad thing eventually happened and we were to go under government or legal scrutiny. That amounts to real money but prevention is always harder to prove than a bad event's occurrence and consequences. For that you can point to organizations that did not have an objective, attentive and devoted audit program, and the ghastly consequences of getting it systematically wrong and no one making the corrections.

But suppose something does go wrong in spite of the audits. OSHA has a policy of giving an organization credit for having a functioning program - doing so indicates the organization is intent upon doing the right thing. I don't know what kind of equivalent exists in your area, but I can vouch that this also works in legal circles, by ruling out negligence.

Lastly, if the auditor is skilled and educated in matters of workplace safety, you could actually do the math and point to that person's help in an ROI study of, for example getting a chemical labeling system cleaned up so employees don't drink acid when they believe they will be sipping water.

I hope this helps!
Excellent post and I believe I'm close to finding the clue to success through following the direction and also the link shown by you. It does help me. I'll certainly ponder over the areas pointed by you and shortly I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C How to Quantify Significant Change for a Shelf Life Stability Test Other Medical Device Related Standards 15
D Visual Inspection - How do you quantify Visual Inspection for TS16949 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Quantify Quality Objectives? Auditing company's documented interpretation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R PAPP Metrics - Can we quantify PPAP's? APQP and PPAP 7
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT - De Novo Proposed Rule - Benefits and Risks Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J NHS exemption - Benefits versus expectations in UK NHS service EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 7
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 2
M Benefits of Safety Helmet in manufacturing factory Service Industry Specific Topics 2
R Business Benefits from IATF 16949 QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Benefits that the QA's gain with a Test Case Template Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
B Costs, Benefits, and Consequences of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W What are the benefits of ISO 27001 for my IT Organization IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
W What are the benefits of ISO 27000 to my company? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 5
Ajit Basrur FDA issues Guidance Document - Benefits-Risks Factors to consider for 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Ajit Basrur New Study Shows Brain Benefits Of Bilingualism Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
P What are the benefits of certified ISMS for ISO 27001 standard? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
T Bottom Line Benefits of Management Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 12
M Tax benefits of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Benefits of Blister Packaging for Pharmaceutical Products Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S Benefits of the use of Audit Guidance Tools during the Audit Process Internal Auditing 5
S Benefits of Internal Audit Schedules Internal Auditing 11
D Quantifying Cost Benefits associated with a Particular Task Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Staff sees no tangible ISO 9001 benefits in 12 months Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
G Can anyone outline the advantages to an organisation - ISO 9001 Benefits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q ASQ's CMQ Certification - Training Costs and Benefits Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Sidney Vianna New Collection of International Case Studies proves Economic Benefits of Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
K How do I oblige the company to give my last pay and benefits? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
N Benefits of having an EDMS in a Construction Company Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Q What are the benefits of a Cross-Functional Internal Audit Team? Internal Auditing 14
K Free Access to ISO Magazines - Information on benefits of ISO standard The Reading Room 11
F Benefits of Internal Audits in supporting Safety and Quality Management Systems Internal Auditing 5
R Industry Statistics on the benefits of Quality Management Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C The Benefits of a QMS to your Business - Management Presentation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 22
C Role and Benefits of PIC/S (Pharmaceutical Inspection Cooperation Scheme) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
A Benefits of Improving Lead Time on Closing Supplier Corrective Action Requests Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
K Benefits of being an ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
E MBA (Masters of Business Administration) Benefits? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
A Staff Training and Benefits to Staff of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Presentation on the benefits of ISO 9001 certification to the Board ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J ISO 10014 - Realising financial & economic benefits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
JoCam How do I show the benefits of a QMS to the Design Team? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
J Lean Six Sigma and the Environmental Benefits / trades off - your opinions please Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
B Benefits and needs of a non mandatory document where it is just a paper. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Quantifying the benefits of 5S Implementation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 22
S Financial & Economic Benefits of a Quality Management System Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Q ISO 9001 Registration to get new customers - What other benefits would ISO bring? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
bobdoering Judge Allows Delphi To End Salaried Retiree Benefits. World News 44
I ISO 9001: How to ensure Long Term Internal Benefits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23