How to rank suppliers?

My company has 5 suppliers engaged in manufacturing semi-finished mechanical products and 4 coating suppliers.
At the end of production, I would like to rank my suppliers.
Now I have data on actual delivery time compared to the contract (D), quality inspection results (Q), product cost (C).
But, I don't know the standard or the template or the method for scoring the above criteria to quantify the results.
The result I want is in the form of s score (for example, supplier A gets 80/100 points, supplier B gets 75/100 points...) for easy ranking and comparison.

Please help me!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Not all suppliers are created equal and they should have varying rankings based on risk. If they are of equal risk a simple mathematical A X B X C system would work. Like JQ asks above me, Why do you want to rank them?

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
My company has 5 suppliers engaged in manufacturing semi-finished mechanical products and 4 coating suppliers.
Now I have data on actual delivery time compared to the contract (D), quality inspection results (Q), product cost (C).
But, I don't know the standard or the template or the method for scoring the above criteria to quantify the results.
The result I want is in the form of s score (for example, supplier A gets 80/100 points, supplier B gets 75/100 points...) for easy ranking and comparison.

Please help me!
1) You need to determine which criteria are most important, second importance, etc.

2) I am against the idea of combining into a single score. I know it is common, but it is mathematically incorrect because it treats the ratings numbers, which are ordinal values, as if they were cardinal values by performing add/divide/average operations on them. Ordinal values are just rankings, not size values. You could use green/yellow/red instead of 3/2/1 rankings, for example. It is just more obvious with the color rankings that it is wrong to try to perform add/divide/average operations on the colors.

Combining rankings also causes a problem with lost information:
- Is a company with a D=90 Q=80 C=20 really the same as a company with D=20 Q=80 C=90?
What good is a better cost (C) if they cannot reliably deliver(D)?
- Or the same as a company with D=90 Q=20 C=80?
What good is a better ontime (D) and cost (C) if the quality (Q) is garbage?
But in the single score system you are proposing, all three of those scenarios would get the same rating.

See this article on why this type of ranking is
Problems With Risk Priority Numbers
(it requires a login or just hit the Print button to see the full article)

So, instead of a single score value, consider using your prioritization of criteria to combine the three rankings. For example, lets say Quality is most important to us, Delivery next, and Cost is third. So, our supplier score is now Q-D-C, in that order. Then, use a scale of 0-9 instead of 0-100 for each criteria. Now the three scenarios above look like:
D=90 Q=80 C=20: S=63.3 QDC=892
D=20 Q=80 C=90: S=63.3 QDC=829
D=90 Q=20 C=80: S=63.3 QDC=298
So, our QDC rating gives us a much more realistic and informative rating than the simple averaging for the S score.

You can use weighted averages to simulate some of our prioritization, although it still loses information. For example, lets use the same prioritization as above (Quality then Delivery then Cost) for a weighted average score W=(Q*0.5 + D*0.3+C*0.2)/3
D=90 Q=80 C=20: S=63.3 QDC=892 W=23.7
D=20 Q=80 C=90: S=63.3 QDC=829 W=21.3
D=90 Q=20 C=80: S=63.3 QDC=298 W=17.7
So the weighted average W score sorts out these three suppliers better than the S score, according to the prioritization of our criteria.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I second other responses telling you to be careful about this; while factual approach to decision making is a valid principle, unless you have hundreds or thousands of suppliers, you probably should not get too sophisticated in your approach, as there will always be a degree of subjective assessment when it comes to supplier performance.

As an example of a highly developed supplier rating system, have a look at this brochure from The Boeing Company, but, remember, they have tens of thousands of suppliers to deal with.

Attachments

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi Than Cao, Welcome to the Cove...a great place to share ideas and learn...I would suggest that you collaborate with Engineering, Purchasing, Quality....etc., and approach this in more of a holistic manner…
  • establish a Excel or other based spread sheet assess each Supplier’s Eligibility to source parts or products orders to. Once this established (a good SEA Excel Template for all to use), this updated spreadsheet is used by all internal parties, to assess each supplier re: for New Business, Source Package and RFQs
  • AND with Purchasing, SQ (if you have such a group at your firm) generate an External Supplier Scorecard....the Scorecard would be used and shared with the Supplier address the good, the bad, and the ugly of their on-going performance.
  • In parallel establish an Internal Scorecard for use by your colleagues with information Suppliers do not need to see, i.e. is a Supplier in trouble delivery, fiancé or quality wise…kind of an early warning indicator for internal use.
Especially today, the more info a customer has re: supplier’s performance, capabilities etc., The Better, even more so in Automotive and Aero fields!! Supply Chain performance is critical, my two Euros worth...hope this helps

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would question what the value add would be? It sounds like very qualitive data would need to be used to create an arbitrary quantitive value.

Its hard to rank everyone together in one group and get numbers you can use. For example, a high volume supplier could have 300 rejections out of a 250,000 part shipment (1200 ppm) and a low volume suppler could have 1 rejection out of a 100 part delivery (10,000 ppm). Which one would is realistically more of an issue?

Evelyn7E

Starting to get Involved

Please help me!
Thanh Cao, You must establish what metrics which is important for your company before you rank your supplier such as quality, delivery, technology roadmap, field services etc. Even in quality there are also many metrics, It should be a balance score card which carry the voice of important stake holder. It would also very much depend on your nature of business and which part of supply chain you are in such as OEM, up stream supplier, downstream supplier

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Rather than ranking your suppliers, I would suggest trending the results of each supplier on a periodic basis to see if they are improving, or say if there is a significant stumble. If you have a relatively small number of metrics and a small number of suppliers, then a balanced scorecard approach may be sufficient. Rather than mixing apples and oranges, if you can say - Supplier C has an adverse trend in meeting delivery dates, then that is actionable. I do recommend (of course) a form a statistical process control dashboard which I (and others) have documented.

A big question that may help is - what is the effect on the bottom line, and future potential for your company?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Detection rank for sampling vs 100% inspection & 15x vs 400x magnification FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Rank Deficiency Error Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
Stijloor American airports don't rank very well. Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 13
J Minitab Rank Deficiency Issue - Binary Logisitic Regression Using Minitab Software 1
J How to read the "Median Rank Table" for Weibul Plots Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J ?Current Process Controls? and the ?Detection Rank? assigned to them FMEA and Control Plans 16
T What's in it for me - Training session about for "all the rank and file" Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
J RANCOVA (rank ANCOVA) macro for minitab Using Minitab Software 2
Wes Bucey Where does your hospital rank on quality? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 20
R How to rank Detection for Existing Preventative design controls FMEA and Control Plans 7
D Rank of Findings General Auditing Discussions 17
Q Approving distributors as suppliers for automotive company Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A ISO certs from suppliers - Expiration Tracking Method Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 14
D How to handle suppliers that are not ISO 17025 certified ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
H Critical subcontractors & crucial suppliers EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I Good Surface Plate Suppliers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Evaluation of suppliers API Spec Q1 5.6.1.2c Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
blackholequasar Approved suppliers under new division ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I Does BSI require suppliers to be ISO 9001 Certified? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
D Automotive Customer asking for ISO 14001 Certification from suppliers ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
K Need Help With Auditing Suppliers Against ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
SANTHSH Consumables, Paints, End-covers, NDE Chemicals & Tools suppliers classification and evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
C Do suppliers require regulation? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
adir88 Qualifying Temporary Staff as Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B ISO13485 Risk managment implementation for suppliers ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
J Outsourced Internal Audit requirements for Aerospace Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
R Auditing COT's Suppliers / First Post Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Recommended software to send Quality scorecards to suppliers (external providers) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
lanley liao Questions regarding the change of critical suppliers and key personnel Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
D ISO 9001 - 8.4.1 Evaluate All Suppliers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 66
G Approval for tool suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 23
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M PSA Suppliers - CSR matrix and need the quality manual of PSA APQP and PPAP 6
O How to give a score/yield more correctly to my suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
B General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Conflict Minerals - Tin Suppliers CMRT Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Reaction Plan To Drive suppliers to IATF 16949 registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C Critical Suppliers for EU medical device approvals May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Who should receive the bills from suppliers and vendors, account payable or procurement? Consultants and Consulting 4
P Qualifying commercial off the shelf (COTS) external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Nicole Desouza Are Shipping Companies Suppliers? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Painted cut threads - ASME Pipe Suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G ISO 9001 8.4 applied to 7.1.3 - Suppliers of infrastructure requirements - IT and Print solutions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.3 - Justification for non-certified suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
J Requirements for customer directed suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
R Supplier Controls we can place on Single-Source Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2