How to Reduce Printed Paper Waste

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

I've been in organizations that try many of these ideas, and typically they all fail.

Two sided printing - great until you realize something has to be printed one-sided, but you forgot the printer defaulted to two-sided and you have to reprint.

Restricting access - great, until someone needs that print for a customer meeting and has to spend 15 minutes tracking down someone with the authority to print it. Not only a waste of time, makes your customer question your capabilities.

I do recommend looking at your processes to eliminate waste paper (and time), but telling someone they can't print an e-mail to take to a meeting to jot notes on is self defeating. The 750 pieces of paper wasted a day costs what - $5 maybe? I have been eliminating paper in my office, more for the efficiency. I had people giving me a piece of paper saying exactly what they had just e-mailed to me, and entered into a database. I told them to stop the e-mail and paper, and just tell me it was in the computer - all I need. It was more for the efficiency and lack of clutter issue though.

I've also found I proof read best on paper. Have tried doing it on the computer, but I'm more efficient with a red pen and paper. Telling me I can't do that will just kill my efficiency.

As for the green aspect, trees for paper are farmed just like corn, soybeans and other crops. It is not like they are cutting down 200 year old giant redwoods to make printer paper. Printer paper is also highly recyclable, and contains recycled paper. Going crazy trying to save 750 sheets of paper a day is going to have zero effect on the environment, but possibly a noticeable effect on your business. Eliminate the obvious waste processes, put in a recycling bin if you don't already have it, and move on to bigger things, IMO.

S

samsung

As for the green aspect, trees for paper are farmed just like corn, soybeans and other crops. It is not like they are cutting down 200 year old giant redwoods to make printer paper. Printer paper is also highly recyclable, and contains recycled paper. Going crazy trying to save 750 sheets of paper a day is going to have zero effect on the environment, but possibly a noticeable effect on your business. Eliminate the obvious waste processes, put in a recycling bin if you don't already have it, and move on to bigger things, IMO.
All other points are OK and agreeable except the 'zero effect on the environment' on account of paper 'wastage'. 750 Nos a day is quite a significant quantity and must therefore be controlled to bring about positive noticeable effect on the business.

It is estimated that the life-cycle of a ton of paper, from production to recycling, results into generation of about 9 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) - equivalent greenhouse gas emissions. Disposal in a landfill, in lieu of recycling, results in two more tons of such emissions per year. Production of paper not only generates CO2, it also reduces the amount of CO2 that can be sequestered by the plants.

So, finally the cost of saving (not wasting) 750 sheets per day would be around 3131 US$ per annum.

S

samsung

Of late I recall that its not the paper alone that matters so much. 750 sheets of paper must be consuming costly inkjet cartridges as well. GHG emissions from manufacturing a single mono toner cartridge have been calculated to approximately 4.8 Kg CO2; per cartridge. Besides it's a well known fact that the empty ink cartridges have detrimental effects of environment and human health.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Of late I recall that its not the paper alone that matters so much. 750 sheets of paper must be consuming costly inkjet cartridges as well. GHG emissions from manufacturing a single mono toner cartridge have been calculated to approximately 4.8 Kg CO2; per cartridge. Besides it's a well known fact that the empty ink cartridges have detrimental effects of environment and human health.
Do you happen to have any information on lasers vs the ink jets? We don't use inkjet printers at our facility. I don't know too many large businesses who rely on ink jet, but perhaps that is a regional thing?

S

samsung

Do you happen to have any information on lasers vs the ink jets? We don't use inkjet printers at our facility. I don't know too many large businesses who rely on ink jet, but perhaps that is a regional thing?
Infact lasers use a large single cartridge of toner (dry ink in the form of ultra fine particles) as its ink, while the inkjet printer uses multiple cartridges of colored ink.

Laser printers are good for text printing while the inkjets printers are better suited for printing images and photos with their ability to provide rich and vibrant colours to the print images. Lasers print faster than an inkjet printer but printers are costlier, bulky and require much space. However the cost of printing is somewhat lower than their ink counterparts.

Lasers do less harm to the environment in view of the longer life of cartridges requiring less frequent replacements. Laser printer toners are filled with an ultra fine powder-like substance that tends to disperse. Also, higher temperatures of operation create ozone and VOCs. These compounds and particles have mild to severe impacts on human health (respiratory problems).

T

tomvehoski

Lasers do less harm to the environment in view of the longer life of cartridges requiring less frequent replacements.
How can you actually quantify this? Inkjet cartridges are much smaller, using less plastic, use less fuel to ship, less packaging to package, etc. Is there a study determining that 1 laser cartridge is the equivalent of XX ink cartridges?

S

samsung

How can you actually quantify this? Inkjet cartridges are much smaller, using less plastic, use less fuel to ship, less packaging to package, etc.
Since the page yield of lasers is approx. 6-8 times more than the inkjets, less number of toners are required to be shipped and thus lesser requirement of packaging material and other stuff.

Is there a study determining that 1 laser cartridge is the equivalent of XX ink cartridges?
We can arrive at an approximate value in terms of page yield of both the printer cartridges.

Typical toner cartridge Page yield - 3,000-4,000 pages
Typical inkjet cartridge Page yield - 400-600 pages (considering the same printing contents)

So, one toner cartridge roughly equals 7-8 sets of inkjet cartridges. (typically an inkjet requires a set of 3-4 cartridges while the lasers need 2 at the most)

Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
adir88 Information of safety can reduce risk now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
W Duplicated Gauges want to reduce calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Methods to reduce relative humidity in Datacenter IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
R Employee diet to reduce absenteeism and increase productivity Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 24
B Proactive efforts to reduce risk - PFMEA risk reduction activities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N How to reduce RPN of Visual Inspection Process FMEA and Control Plans 6
2 High-tech medical equipment to reduce medication errors Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
M Is That Plating Wave Washer will reduce its stiffness? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
corg79 How to Reduce Inspection Frequency in Metal Stamping Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C Design of Experiments to Reduce Variation in a Lathe Operation Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
D How to reduce the number of Quality Inspectors Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
S Using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 to Reduce Impact of Field Service Campaign AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
P How to reduce or shut off Compressed Air for Painting Robots Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P How to Reduce or Eliminate Inspection on an Assembly Line Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
Sidney Vianna ISO 14006 - New Standard to Reduce Environmental Impacts of Products and Services Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D How to Reduce Sampling and get the same MTTF (Mean Time to Faliure) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Reduce 50 Work Instructions into 12 Key Processes Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
A Can we reduce documents checking percentage on supplier certificates? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T How do I Reduce Frequency of Receiving Inspection Testing for Quality Control Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A PFMEA (Process FMEA) Detection Rating - Actions to Reduce RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
S What to do if no further control possible to reduce the OHS risk? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 16
S How to Reduce the Cost of Broken Measurement Equipment Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
M Plastic Mold Approval - What are the ways to reduce mold approval cycle? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Does Six Sigma Project have to Reduce Variability? What about a mean shift to target? Six Sigma 6
M Does Disciplinary Action Reduce Operator Errors? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 80
A Control Chart to Track Effectiveness of Actions to Reduce Scrap Rate Six Sigma 7
P Attempting to reduce sample size - The "best" statistical technique to use Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
Sidney Vianna ISO Guide 64 will help reduce environmental impacts of products Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B On Time Delivery Question - Project to reduce late shipments Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
T Using SPC Control Charts to Reduce AQL Sample Size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
R CMM Machine upgrade - Ways to reduce CMM inspection cycle time Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Project to Reduce Destructive Sampling in Crimping Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Customer wants to Reduce GD&T Tolerances on Sheet Metal Subassemblies Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Y Can I reduce the Sample Size? Sampling check of more than 1,000 pieces daily Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 25
Douglas E. Purdy Classification of Suppliers & Control Plans to Reduce Receiving Inspection FMEA and Control Plans 6
R Tool Kits to Reduce Direct Time on Milling Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
D When do you reduce SPC sampling? And How? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J Cost Down! - Reduce Manpower Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R 100% Visual Inspection - Would you Remove or Reduce the Visual Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S TPM increasing employee overtime costs - How to reduce costs? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
A Project to reduce the month end despatch rush Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
Marc Bye-Bye, Pension! The trend in the US to reduce middle class worker wages World News 17
A PFMEA for many products - How to reduce the number of FMEAs? FMEA and Control Plans 13
T Using DMAIC to reduce equipment downtime Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C Change Management - How can we simplify and reduce our QMS? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Kevin Mader Fear - Deming's Point 8 - Reduce fear throughout the organization Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 30
R Reduce the need for authorisation of low risk changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3