How to Reduce Printed Paper Waste

T

tomvehoski

You are still missing all of the impacts from manufacturing of the cartridges. Laser toner also tends to come with a prepaid shipping label to encourage you to send the old one back for recycling, so thats skewing everything even more.

My whole point being, is it really valuable to try to equate such minor things into major global impacts and kg of CO2 emitted?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

samsung

My whole point being, is it really valuable to try to equate such minor things into major global impacts and kg of CO2 emitted?
Yes I do agree that the impacts of one activity or one person or even one organization on the global environment may not be so pronounced yet knowing the impacts of our activities on the environment however little, and sending a good message (through actions) down & across the supply chain can create a multiplier effect.

I have people print using a pdf printer, many versions are available for free online. Limiting access to a printer is a great idea if you have easy access to a computer almost everywhere in the building, but this may hurt some people who can't seem to let their old habits die. If someone complains by saying they can't do their job without paper, have them explain why. Usually they do not have a good justification for using paper.

Aside from the environmental impact, you old folks need to give up the paper. It is not nearly as efficient as you make it out to be, it takes longer to file hard-copies than electronic documents, and it's an excellent way to have document control.

R

Rand T

One way is to put up a chart near the printer listing how much it costs for every page printed and taking the printer, toner ink, and paper costs into account.

That way everyone is aware that waste costs money and it isn't really "free"

L

LuisMB

I suggest one idea which was very succesfull in the company where I was working 4 years ago: turn off all the prints twice per week.

maybe in a first view I could be seem a bad idea, but you had written before: almost the 50 % of the printed paper is waste.
Try .. you will see good results:biglaugh:

G

GreenQuality

Survey a some employees to find out why they are printing hard copies. It may be a process requirement or other issue that can be addressed.
My company only purchases recycled paper and makes employees aware of aspects and impacts through our EMS (We recycle our paper too).
We also have a program that awards employees for efforts and actions implimented to reduce waste and reduce impact to the environment.
Setting up your printer to print both sides as a default setting is an easy change that can make a difference.

D

Drew G

Respectfully, I find that anytime people start banning and rationing the use of something, you don't really foster a culture where the masses buy into the process. I've found that when we work with people to get them to come up with solutions themselves, we end up not only meeting the goals, but exceeding them. Foster a culture of "reduce, reuse, recycle" and pretty soon your team will push one another to greater accomplishments. Foster a police state and all you will get is grudging compliance, and people who look for ways to beat the system.
True SteelMaiden; :topic:also true of many things in life: punishment breeds aggression. Bringing your perspective above to the Cove is very insightful. Thanks.

Drew

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Set a goal to reduce paper and toner usage by 20%, promote and support the goal from management, measure and report the results and progress, and leave it to the ingenuity of each individual to see to getting it done.

john.b

Involved In Discussions
One way to save ink while printing exactly the same pages is by switching fonts. I ran across this idea while reviewing "green" management text coming out, and Google turns up lots on it.

The most ink-stingy fonts are a bit thin looking, as you'd expect, but Times-Roman and Calibri save a lot over Arial.

Of course trying to go paperless is a lot better, and half of what is on my desk probably never really needed to be printed.

J

JaneB

Aside from the environmental impact, you old folks need to give up the paper. It is not nearly as efficient as you make it out to be, it takes longer to file hard-copies than electronic documents, and it's an excellent way to have document control.
Agree strongly that it's excellent for doc control and quicker to file electronically, assuming you have good electronic management practices of course! I like lots of stuff electronically.

But I don't fully agree that 'old folks need to give up the paper'. And I can speak from experience, as I is one. ;)
One issue younger folks don't appreciate is that as you age, unfortunately eyesight often deteriorates and makes online stuff harder to read. Hardcopy is easier.
Also, plenty of research says that reading and processing information online is significantly slower than for hardcopy. Perhaps this may change if a/screen resolution improves and b/as a species, we adapt, but still the case at the moment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
adir88 Information of safety can reduce risk now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
W Duplicated Gauges want to reduce calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Methods to reduce relative humidity in Datacenter IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
R Employee diet to reduce absenteeism and increase productivity Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 24
B Proactive efforts to reduce risk - PFMEA risk reduction activities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N How to reduce RPN of Visual Inspection Process FMEA and Control Plans 6
2 High-tech medical equipment to reduce medication errors Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
M Is That Plating Wave Washer will reduce its stiffness? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
corg79 How to Reduce Inspection Frequency in Metal Stamping Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C Design of Experiments to Reduce Variation in a Lathe Operation Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
D How to reduce the number of Quality Inspectors Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
S Using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 to Reduce Impact of Field Service Campaign AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
P How to reduce or shut off Compressed Air for Painting Robots Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P How to Reduce or Eliminate Inspection on an Assembly Line Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
Sidney Vianna ISO 14006 - New Standard to Reduce Environmental Impacts of Products and Services Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D How to Reduce Sampling and get the same MTTF (Mean Time to Faliure) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Reduce 50 Work Instructions into 12 Key Processes Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
A Can we reduce documents checking percentage on supplier certificates? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T How do I Reduce Frequency of Receiving Inspection Testing for Quality Control Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A PFMEA (Process FMEA) Detection Rating - Actions to Reduce RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
S What to do if no further control possible to reduce the OHS risk? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 16
S How to Reduce the Cost of Broken Measurement Equipment Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
M Plastic Mold Approval - What are the ways to reduce mold approval cycle? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Does Six Sigma Project have to Reduce Variability? What about a mean shift to target? Six Sigma 6
M Does Disciplinary Action Reduce Operator Errors? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 80
A Control Chart to Track Effectiveness of Actions to Reduce Scrap Rate Six Sigma 7
P Attempting to reduce sample size - The "best" statistical technique to use Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
Sidney Vianna ISO Guide 64 will help reduce environmental impacts of products Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B On Time Delivery Question - Project to reduce late shipments Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
T Using SPC Control Charts to Reduce AQL Sample Size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
R CMM Machine upgrade - Ways to reduce CMM inspection cycle time Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Project to Reduce Destructive Sampling in Crimping Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Customer wants to Reduce GD&T Tolerances on Sheet Metal Subassemblies Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Y Can I reduce the Sample Size? Sampling check of more than 1,000 pieces daily Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 25
Douglas E. Purdy Classification of Suppliers & Control Plans to Reduce Receiving Inspection FMEA and Control Plans 6
R Tool Kits to Reduce Direct Time on Milling Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
D When do you reduce SPC sampling? And How? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J Cost Down! - Reduce Manpower Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R 100% Visual Inspection - Would you Remove or Reduce the Visual Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S TPM increasing employee overtime costs - How to reduce costs? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
A Project to reduce the month end despatch rush Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
Marc Bye-Bye, Pension! The trend in the US to reduce middle class worker wages World News 17
A PFMEA for many products - How to reduce the number of FMEAs? FMEA and Control Plans 13
T Using DMAIC to reduce equipment downtime Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C Change Management - How can we simplify and reduce our QMS? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Kevin Mader Fear - Deming's Point 8 - Reduce fear throughout the organization Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 30
R Reduce the need for authorisation of low risk changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3