How to refuse PPAP submission to a customer?

H

HiroMatsu

:confused:I need an advice on how to handle a PPAP request from a customer. Let me explain:

He manufactures electrical equipment for automotive industry. I sell him labels (blank ones, not printed) and ribbon to print them. He askes me to provide level 2 PPAP documentation for the ribbon :mad:
He askes for "Dimensional Report" , "Functional Report" , "Drawing"... for ribbon :mg:. My problem is that we don't manufacture, we only distribute this ribbons.

Please help me explain him that I don't really need to submit such nonsense information (the car won't kill anybody if the ribbon prints 1% whiter or blacker, I doubt anybody would notice).

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: How to refuse PPAP submission ?

:confused:I need an advice on how to handle a PPAP request from a customer. Let me explain:

He manufactures electrical equipment for automotive industry. I sell him labels (blank ones, not printed) and ribbon to print them. He askes me to provide level 2 PPAP documentation for theribbon :mad:
He askes for "Dimensional Report" , "Functional Report" , "Drawing"... for ribbon :mg:. My problem is that we don't manufacture, we only distribute this ribbons.

Please help me explain him that I don't really need to submit such nonsense information (the car won't kill anybody if the ribbon prints 1% whiter or blacker, I doubt anybody would notice).

What does the Purchase Order (P.O.) and/or contract with your Customer say? You may not like all this but the time to discuss these issues is during the contract review stage.

O.K......A few points for consideration....

Are the labels physically attached to the electrical equipment? If not, and the labels are only attached to packaging, you may have a case to get out of this...

You say you are a distributor. The PPAP manual states that distributors are PPAP responsible unless waived by the customer.

If not waived, you need to get in touch with your supplier and obtain the required PPAP documents from them.

Welcome to the exciting automotive supplier business.....

Stijloor.

T

tyker

Re: How to refuse PPAP submission ?

In addition to Stijloor's comments, refer your customer to the applicability section in the introduction to the PPAP manual.

If the ribbon is not in one of the production parts, service parts, production materials or bulk materials categories, PPAP does not have to apply.

Reviewing PPAP submissions is not my favourite hobby, your customer may be glad of the opportunity to get on with something more useful too.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Let me play 'devil's advocate' here... Has anyone else here ever been asked for a PPAP, or seen/heard of such a request, for something like a printer ribbon in a scenario like this?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
He asks me to provide level 2 PPAP documentation for the ribbon :mad:
He asks for "Dimensional Report" , "Functional Report" , "Drawing"... for ribbon :mg:.

I guess before you can even consider this, one needs to know what the specification is. What is the customer buying? Is it to the customer print? Is is to a customer spec, at least? Or are they just buying off the shelf. You cannot assume things are not applicable. Toilet paper, not applicable, but labels can be a big deal in automotive - even labels used on boxes. Bar code printing is a BIG deal. If your supplier has dealt with it for other customers, they may have some suggestions on how to handle it, too. :cool:

H

HiroMatsu

Thanks, there were some good sugestions in this posts. Thanks, everyone.

S

Sundar

I guess before you can even consider this, one needs to know what the specification is. What is the customer buying? Is it to the customer print? Is is to a customer spec, at least? Or are they just buying off the shelf. You cannot assume things are not applicable. Toilet paper, not applicable, but labels can be a big deal in automotive - even labels used on boxes. Bar code printing is a BIG deal. If your supplier has dealt with it for other customers, they may have some suggestions on how to handle it, too. :cool:

I second bobdoering's inputs. There is also this IMDS compliance where the packaging material for some spares (whatever OE car company provides) left in the glovebox, require IMDS reporting. Such is the extent of the expectations of OE customers.

Purely the PPAP expectations revolve around the design record and/or requirements definition through SoW, etc and more importantly at contract review stage.

Sundar

Top Bottom