How to represent the ?real? or ?actual? players in organizational chart?

LesPiles

Involved In Discussions
Question: I am reviewing the organizational chart for the next coming of our registrar (ISO maintenance audit) in a few months. Some managers and other people are on "burn out" (on sick leave e.g. living on insurance). Unfortunately, these leaves are quite long (several months).

"The question" : How do you represent the positions in your organizational chart in such cases?

I do not want to create any unfortunate incidents to those who are absent but people who continue in the day-to-day must know the functional organization as is currently, isn?t ?

LesPiles

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: How to represent the ?real? or ?actual? players in organizational chart ?

Question: I am reviewing the organizational chart for the next coming of our registrar (ISO maintenance audit) in a few months. Some managers and other people are on "burn out" (on sick leave e.g. living on insurance). Unfortunately, these leaves are quite long (several months).

"The question" : How do you represent the positions in your organizational chart in such cases?

I do not want to create any unfortunate incidents to those who are absent but people who continue in the day-to-day must know the functional organization as is currently, isn?t ?

LesPiles
LesPiles,

Avoid names on your org chart. Life is too short. Include only job title or description of authority and responsibility.

In a separate table you could show the names of who doubles for whom when they are absent. Expect to be asked for evidence of competence.

I trust you have an active corrective action project for the work environment not being conducive to quality per clause 6.4?

John

P

PaulJSmith

Re: How to represent the ?real? or ?actual? players in organizational chart ?

I agree with John. One of the first things I did when I came into my current position was to remove the names from the Organizational Chart and leave just the position titles. Short of a major organizational change, you'll never have to amend that chart just because of a personnel change.

As for who covers their duties while they're out, couldn't that be addressed in job descriptions, however your company deals with that?

P

pldey42

LesPiles
I think the important thing is showing people, today, who's doing what, and then showing the auditor what you do - and that it's effective.

So, how do people find out who's doing what today? Is it effective?

ISO 9001 doesn't require an org chart, just that this information is communicated. So as long as everyone knows who's actually doing what, today, the requirement is satisfied. If they're actually puzzled and wasting time trying to find out, then I'd suggest doing it faster and not waiting for the auditor, for that wasted time could be translating into missed delivery dates.

(As a consultant I've often been told that the org chart is out of date because there is so much churn that keeping it correct is too expensive. Which makes no sense. If there's lots of churn it needs to be up to date to avoid everyone wasting time finding people, which of course is why it's a requirement of the standard.)

Hope this helps
Pat

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A VSM: Between OP1 and OP2 there is a big conveyor. How to represent that on VSM?? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
B How important it is to select Parts that represent the Process Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Logo or design that would represent Spirit - Improving our Culture Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
T Why evaluate Suppliers that are Brands we represent? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
V Best way to represent "Role Clarity" Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P Measurement Error Requirements - 99% or 99.73% spread to represent the 'full' spread? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S How to represent interactions in non-linear regression analysis in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
V Can the Management Representative represent top management as the sole auditee? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
R Definition Inverted Delta - What does an inverted delta on a print represent? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 22
I Could IMDS Represent the SoC Free Test Report? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
C P Values - In understandable terms what does the P Value represent? APQP and PPAP 32
Marc What Does This Represent to You? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 16
D Gage R&R on one tape measure to represent all identical tapes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T How much does Cpk > 1.33 represent in precentage of good pieces? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 17
S Control Plans - A few control plans that are generic enough to represent the facility FMEA and Control Plans 1
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Stability accelerated vs. real-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Standards for real time stability for medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
optomist1 DFMEA - Real Life Drama FMEA and Control Plans 25
R Real Example of a currently marketed Procedure Pack CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M FDA News FDA Safety communication – Interim Results of Duodenoscope Reprocessing Studies Conducted in Real-World Settings Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Accelerated aging and real time study EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Interesting Discussion Surface Cleanliness Real Time Test Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Real-time-aging Validation - ISO / ASTM Standard - Class 111 Orthopedic Implant Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
shimonv Storage Conditions of 5-40 Celsius - Accelerated and real time aging - Dilemma EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Is ISO 13485 of November 2016 Real? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Ninja What is the most useless {real} documented procedure you've seen? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
I How to sample in a real time release process? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
M Is a Real Time Stability Study required to determine Expiration Date? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
O Medical Devices - Legal Manufacturer and Real Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Self-Certification Is Not a Real Thing - an IAF article Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
Marc CBS Taps the Real Stephen Colbert as Letterman's Replacement After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
S Stated Accuracy of Portable CMM Arm and Real World Use Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
T Classification of Real-Time Thermocycler for CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B Permissible Exclusion for Clause 7.5.2 in a Real Estate Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Real World Example of Document Control Failure Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Crusader Real World Continuous Improvement Examples for Accounting Personnel? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
B Any swimming tips before I dive into the pond? Real estate development business Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
S What is real Innovation? (as described by ISO 9004, 2009 edition) Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
Y Advice on this real case on AQL (Acceptable Quality Level)? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
S Pulling Data In Real Time From Excel using Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 2
Sidney Vianna Mutually Beneficial Supplier Relationships in the real world - GM learned a lesson? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
C Do you implement real SPC not just a paper work? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
D Real Life Testing related to Relevance or Quantification of Test Duration Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T Capability Analysis in the Real World Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
optomist1 Real World SPC Dealing with Outliers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 22
J Rotating operators through experiencing Inspection - A real eye opener... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
P DFX & DFLSS (DFSS) Techniques & Processes - Real world example of the usage Six Sigma 1
A SPC Software Packages - Real Time and can link to Databases including Oracle Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7