How to resolve discrepancies in Level 3 PPAP supplier dimensional reports?

Nath2892

Starting to get Involved
Hello everyone. Our supplier sends dimensional report as part of initial level submission PPAP, Level 3. In order to verify dimensional report, we perform inspection on the same PPAP sample parts that supplier used for dimensional report. I'm all new to automotive industry and I would like to know what steps needs to be followed if you find any discrepancies. For eg., A critical characteristic in supplier dimensional report is within spec BUT is out of spec during our internal testing (Sample Size is 20 in both cases). How can these type of situations be resolved? What if the supplier "claims" they re-measured the particular feature and didn't find any out of spec dimension?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
Measure the sample parts, and tabulate the differences of your measurements from your side and your supplier. Base on my experience, in your situation, i think it's on the appraiser side.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Depending on the part and dimension, make sure you are both measuring the same way. You'll get different results if say they measure a dia. on a CMM and you check it with a caliper.

We had a situation where a "Quality Engineer" was ratcheting down with a micrometer on a thin walled part, actually collapsing the part, and claiming they where out of spec. It was frustrating. Good luck.

Nath2892

Starting to get Involved
Depending on the part and dimension, make sure you are both measuring the same way. You'll get different results if say they measure a dia. on a CMM and you check it with a caliper.

We had a situation where a "Quality Engineer" was ratcheting down with a micrometer on a thin walled part, actually collapsing the part, and claiming they where out of spec. It was frustrating. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. Yes. Inspection method is different in both cases. Supplier is using OMM and we used CMM to measure the dimensions. I'm afraid our facility doesn't have OMM to make sure we are measuring the same way but I'll try. Thanks for your advice.

Nath2892

Starting to get Involved
Measure the sample parts, and tabulate the differences of your measurements from your side and your supplier. Base on my experience, in your situation, i think it's on the appraiser side.
Thank you for your reply. We measured the sample parts and I tabulated the differences i observed between our internal inspection report and supplier dimensional report (Clearly mentioning which dimensions were within spec in dim report but out of spec at our facility). When i asked Supplier to remeasure the parts again, they got the similar results they had in dimensional report (All within spec).

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Thank you for your reply. We measured the sample parts and I tabulated the differences i observed between our internal inspection report and supplier dimensional report (Clearly mentioning which dimensions were within spec in dim report but out of spec at our facility). When i asked Supplier to remeasure the parts again, they got the similar results they had in dimensional report (All within spec).
How much of a difference are we talking about? You say it's a critical characteristic, so if it's out of spec, functionality or safety or something critical should be affected. Is this the case?

Nath2892

Starting to get Involved
How much of a difference are we talking about? You say it's a critical characteristic, so if it's out of spec, functionality or safety or something critical should be affected. Is this the case?
Hello Jim. Yes. It's functional. It's not just a single critical dimensions. There are atleast 2-3 functional dimensions which are out of spec by 0.02-0.05mm.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello Jim. Yes. It's functional. It's not just a single critical dimensions. There are atleast 2-3 functional dimensions which are out of spec by 0.02-0.05mm.
Can you describe the features in question? What was the actual specification for the dimension that's out by 0.02mm (<.001")?

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
You also need to define EXACTLY how each methodology is collecting and evaluating the feature(s) in question. Even using the exact same piece of equipment (ie: CMM), results can vary greatly by how it's programmed. My experience has seen many instances where the design engineer and/or the metrologist don't understand what is required from a measurement to make it provide accurate information to make good decisions. Sometimes (or even more often than that), the print requirement isn't was is truly necessary for good decisions.

But at this point in the process, you'll need to focus on aligning the methodologies and any need to correct print corrections will probably have to wait (that just the politics of doing PPAP).

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions

Sir Nath2892, conventional way of measuring or electronic?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Timeframe to resolve Corrective Actions (Undue Delay) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B How can I resolve Chronic Nonconformance Problems? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C How does a Team Leader guide a team and resolve a problem Management Review Meetings and related Processes 14
W Software Bugs in a DFMEA that we have elected not to resolve with the initial release FMEA and Control Plans 12
E Looking for suggestions to resolve our problem with scrap (garbage) in Naples Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Govind How to resolve Revision within Revision Complexity? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Multiple Discrepancies put on one SCAR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
D Supplier Notification of Discrepancies form - Request for RMA Number and response Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
D CQI-9 vs. AMS 2750D - Are there discrepancies? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
P Thread Ring Gages - Discrepancies - Is the manufacturer specification wrong? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Discrepancies - Determine the Magnitude and Assessing the Risk Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Level 3 KPI Excel Template Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 2 – Level of clinical evidence and what sufficient clinical evidence means Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 9
R Bottom up approach versus system level ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
C Failure nets - Same level effects FMEA and Control Plans 0
H Graphical analysis of results - Confidence level bands nomenclature Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Level of Clinical Evidence - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D GM BIQS level 5 requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
R Identifying internal issues.. at what level? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
I What level of change in documentation requires re-training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
eule del ayre List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers APQP and PPAP 20
I Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
B AS9102 FAI & Lower Level Drawings - How should we perform the FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Rameshwar25 What is a Control Plan at "Material Level"? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Creating a Plant Level Value Stream Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
khotchandrakant Defining Acceptance Quality Level, I need clarity on AQL 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
P GM BIQS level 5 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Ron Rompen Dual level holes - Measurement method suggestions wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A Level of details required for Class IIb Product Verification and Validation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D System Level FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
samer Do we have to determine Educational level for all Staff as pr 7.2 b clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J What level PPAP for 5 critical parts? APQP and PPAP 8
Paul Simpson Informational The role of Annex SL - High Level Structure of ISO MSS's - Revision Update February 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E High level structure - Planning and operation control Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
rob73 Worldwide device regulatory authorities at country level Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
K Biocompatibility Testing - Component Level or Assembled Medical Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Example Work Instruction/Procedure for AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
W Level of V&V in Class II Medical Device (Dialysis Machine) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
K FDA Premarket Submissions for Embedded Software - Level of Concern Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
H Identifying Guidance on Medical Device Software Level of Concern for the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A What KPI's do you use at Shop Floor Level and Team Boards? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
T Struggling with ISO 13485:2016 Clause 6.2 - Level of Risk Associated with Work ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3