How to select the most suitable person to be the Management Representative?

Y

ykfoo

Hi all, we are having a bit of a commotion here as who'll be the best person to be the management representative is still hanging. Would appreciate if anyone can feedback on some criteria or guidelines to select an appropriate MR. We are a corporate management office (providing our subsidiaries with support, corporate and engineering services) where the organisation structure is rather flat (there's no chief of operations). The leader of the organisation is our MD and he has the respective functional department heads directly reporting to him. So the question is, who will be the most suitable MR besides the MD? Would it be the most senior ranked HOD (this will be the CFO)? What could be the alternatives? We are actually in the midst of applying for the ISO9002:2000 certification.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

Just a few thoughts:
Each situation is different - I have seen
Head of Inspection as MR - Quality Assurance Mgr as MR..

I have also found - Part time folks (In reality counsultants) Assigned as company MR.

Nothing "wrong with CFO being MR - BUT - remember the statement "irrespective of ALL OTHER duties??" so it should be someone that interacts with all functions and has an ample ammount of TIME to deal with implementation AND maintaining after registration.-

MR duties take anywhere from 30% to 90% of my WEEKLY time on an ongoing basis - audit schedules - corrections - re-writes etc.

If your CFO has that kind of time to invest in "other than financial duties" - then go for it.

Regards
Jim

E

energy

What does MD and HOD mean? If I can figure out who they are, I can probably help a little bit.

energy

J
I think Jim pretty much nailed it. The person selected must have the time to devote to it. He/She must be 150% committed to the process. Also, if it is not the MD, then it must be someone who has his/her full confidence. If not, you can run into authority issues.

Just some thoughts

James

A

Al Dyer

1: Thick skin
2: Complete knowledge of the standards
3: Level headed and practical
4: Able to communicate with operators as well as management
5: Be able to stand up to registrars and lead auditors
6: Morality above reproach
7: Good record keeping habits
8: Able to work un-supervised
9: Computer savvy (when applicable)
10: Commitment to the company (morally)
11: Able to wear multiple hats in the company
12: A sense of humor!

ASD...

R

Rick Goodson

My experience has been that it does not matter what their other function is as long as they have certain traits, most of which have been described quite well by Al. However, IMHO the implementations that have gone the best are those where the Management Representative (MR) was not a person with a job title that had the word quality in it. People tend to think of the implementation as just another quality flavor of the day program when the quality folks are in charge. Put finance or human resources in charge and there is a marked difference in how people view the project.

Rick

Y

ykfoo

Thanks guys for the replies.

Does this mean that the MR does not have to be a member of management or even to an extreme of not being in the organisation structure, and this will still be in line with ISO requirements?

By the way Energy, MD is for Managing Director and HODs are Head of Departments.

Randy

Super Moderator
Your management rep can be the janitor if thats what you wish. It's best though that the MR is knowledgable of the system, is an individual that possess some leadership ability, and can exert some type of influence within the organization.

D

D.Scott

Not sure I agree with "janitor". QS-9000 states (and it is in italics so I assume it is in ISO too) "...a member of the supplier's own management...". I figure Randy just used it to make a point, however I don't think it can be carried to the extreme. IMO the MR must be part of management and this would also preclude an outside consultant from being the MR (unless of course you had him on the payroll).

Dave

E

energy

Randy,
Let's not forget that he must be able to tiptoe through the mine field to show the Auditor the way.
ykfoo,
It appears that your type of business doesn't have the standard Quality Manager requirement. He is usually selected, or he selects a Quality Engineer type for that assignment. You should choose the person who has the most knowledge of how your operation functions. As others have said, he should have the authority to suggest, strongly, that changes be implemented and the ability to ensure that it is accomplished. Usually, the standard Department Head ducks this kind of responsibilty. The MD has far too many things to do, just ask him/her, to take on this task. There is also the possibility that you could have the "fox in the chicken coop" situation. JMHO
energy

[This message has been edited by energy (edited 21 August 2001).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How to Select FDA Medical Device Product Code? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
K How do you select the right grips for your tensile tests? Imported Legacy Blogs 0
Y Can manufacturer select AR for MDD different from AR for RED? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Historical Standard Deviation or Select Parts for MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Excel Help - Equivalent of "Range($G$14:$AD$121).Select" in R1C1 notation Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
SteveK A Standard for you to select Standards - ISO 16142-1 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R Is it possible to randomly select samples from 1 column to many column Using Minitab Software 2
B How important it is to select Parts that represent the Process Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B How to select parts for a MSA Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
C UDI: HIBCC vs. GS1 - Recommendations regarding which one to select Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
T Select Updates for Non-Clinical Engineering Tests - Intravascular Stents Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
C When do I select Team for Black Belt Project? Six Sigma 3
R How to select appropriate standards for Multi-Functional Physical Therapy Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J How to select pieces for GR&R (Gage R&R) Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L How to select an Authorized Representative CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
somashekar Definition Evaluate and Select ... What are the most common understandings of these words. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 12
A Who to decide and select Internal Auditors and what are the criteria? Internal Auditing 18
R How to select the the target value from spec. limit (18 samples) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C How to select the requirements for Continuous Sampling Plan (CSP-1&F), Mil-Std 1235C? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A How to select equipment for MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C ASQ Examination Fees Increasing for Select Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
H How to Select a Statistically Valid Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
R Six Sigma vs. TQM - How to Select and What are their Differences? Six Sigma 2
M How to select a consultant to help out for ISO 14001 Certification? Consultants and Consulting 11
kedarg6500 How to Select Checking Aids APQP and PPAP 7
D Variable sample size - Xbar-s charts - How to select A3 and B4 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
ccochran What is the Best Way to Select a Registrar? The Reading Room 3
S Attribute MSA - Risk analysis -- How to select the samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Q Gage R&R - How to select samples near the limits? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S How to select the part for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Casana How to select a consultant? What criteria to consider and look for when looking Consultants and Consulting 5
P How To Select Regulatory (Regulatory Requirements?) For Implement Iso/ts 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Operating Range & Measurement System Discrimination:How to select parts for R&R test? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Two or more predicates suitable? 510K submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Informational FDA Classifies Suitable Accessories into Class I as Required by the FDA Reauthorization Act of 2017 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Suitable form or questionnaire for approving consultants Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Q Recommendation for a suitable PA on a complaint received Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
D Suitable CE Mark Directives - Product Families CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Suitable Protocol for Isolation of Clostridium perfringens Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S PCR suitable for detection of Salmonella Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
K Intended Use wording: What is suitable for the instruction manual? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Protocol of water activity measurement and suitable instrument Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
S Choosing a suitable type of Elisa to Test my Sample Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Is IEC 60601-2-37 suitable for Fetal Doppler Detector? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K What kind of people are suitable for Quality Management? Career and Occupation Discussions 12
R Is INMETRO certification suitable for medical device components? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R How to decide a suitable contact time from table 23 of IEC 60601-1:2005 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
D Electronic Document Control System suitable for TS 16949 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M IVD Annex III Path - Suitable Quality System (e.g. ISO 9001, ISO 13485)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2