How to simplify management system when employees feel it's too much work

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Of course.....
I have incorporated this into my training slides.
This should be useful.

Thanks a million.
This will require more than training slides.

The type of 2-way communication in employee engagement will need to be managed: information intake, decision making, reporting back on results. I have seen it done with Idea Boards and Tier Boards, both of which have meetings. Managers also need to understand employees are not always comfortable in offering their views in such venues. Sometimes information can be collected informally, also during audits. As an auditor I have been known to ask my people if there is anything they need. If they describe something compelling, we can explore that as an opportunity that can be communicated to management and I can follow up on. This of course requires trust, and their believing I and their management have their interests in heart but they should also know that wishes do not always get fulfilled.

We are talking about a multilevel partnership. Some managers will also feel uncomfortable doing this. Top management needs to exhibit their support in recognizable, enduring ways. Trust needs to be established. Sometimes it is a cultural shift that can take a long time, depending on the people at all levels and the management system's maturity.

lobotm6

Involved In Discussions
T
This will require more than training slides.

The type of 2-way communication in employee engagement will need to be managed: information intake, decision making, reporting back on results. I have seen it done with Idea Boards and Tier Boards, both of which have meetings. Managers also need to understand employees are not always comfortable in offering their views in such venues. Sometimes information can be collected informally, also during audits. As an auditor I have been known to ask my people if there is anything they need. If they describe something compelling, we can explore that as an opportunity that can be communicated to management and I can follow up on. This of course requires trust, and their believing I and their management have their interests in heart but they should also know that wished do not always get fulfilled.

We are talking about a multilevel partnership. Some managers will also feel uncomfortable doing this. Top management needs to exhibit their support in recognizable, enduring ways. Trust needs to be established. Sometimes it is a cultural shift that can take a long time, depending on the people at all levels and the management system's maturity.
Thanks Jen for your invaluable deeper insight on the subject. You touched the right string, "culture".

Many Thanks.

Top Bottom