How to Start SPC from the ground up!

• Thread starter Mary - QA Manager
  • Start date
M

Mary - QA Manager

I am starting the SPC project at my facility. The only direction I have is to use "rainbow" charts. I am working on these charts but was wondering if anyone here has taken on such a task and how they completed it? I am using excel at the moment and asking for Minitab.
Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Project Man

Involved In Discussions
Mary,
We currently have a very successful SPC program in our shop. It has taken 3 years to get it where it is today. It took two years to completely change the culture on the shop floor (and that was starting with a pretty good culture). That is where you have to start and that is where it will or won't be successful (The software you use just makes it easier to use the data collected)
We used "Quality starts at the machine" as the mantra to get get culture changed. It takes diligence from the supervisors and buy-in (read $$) from upper management.

Rainbows can help (but don't make it work), Minitab can help (but doesn't make it work), using a software specifically designed for SPC can help (but doesn't make it work). The ONLY thing that makes it work or not is the culture on the floor.

We use: 1. A great shop culture (45 employees on the floor), 2. Formulas in excel will graph output., 3. Quality analysis at the beginning, in-process and at the end.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's been an ongoing implementation and evolution for me over the past 23 years on SPC. I'd say an important starting point is Dr. Deming's Red Bead Experiment. I have a video link, and several other useful SPC documents at http://www.efcog.org/wg/esh_es/Statistical_Process_Control/

By the way, I've just used Excel over the years, starting with Excel 4.0 with dbaseIII+ to do the data processing. Now I primarily use Access for the data processing.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Also, take a VERY hard look at where SPC will actually help you. I have seen poor implementations back in the 80's, where Ford came in and forced the supply base to use SPC everywhere, and it was a disaster.

There are definitely processes that can benefit from SPC. These are processes that are historically out-of-control and producing rework/scrap in that operation or downstream operations. On the other hand, there are well behaved processes that will see little benefit, or processes that have automated controls already in place.

Where SPC will be a benefit, take a close look at the TYPE of SPC chart used and the rational subgrouping. Xbar/R charts are not always the best choice.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Also, take a VERY hard look at where SPC will actually help you. I have seen poor implementations back in the 80's, where Ford came in and forced the supply base to use SPC everywhere, and it was a disaster.

There are definitely processes that can benefit from SPC. These are processes that are historically out-of-control and producing rework/scrap in that operation or downstream operations. On the other hand, there are well behaved processes that will see little benefit, or processes that have automated controls already in place.

Where SPC will be a benefit, take a close look at the TYPE of SPC chart used and the rational subgrouping. Xbar/R charts are not always the best choice.
Definitely a true story about Ford. My father worked for a supplier to Ford and with SPC crammed down their throats, there was very little value seen. Ford could force entities to make SPC charts, but without them actually being "used" by Ford or the suppliers or by folks with knowledge, they were just pretty pictures on the wall.

I will state that even if you currently have a stable process, doing SPC on it can be an ounce of prevention - so you can detect (inexpensively) if the process has an upset. I liken it to all of the warning lights you have on the dashboard on your modern car. Usually at least two dozen lights monitoring various things, and likely most of them will never come on during the life of the car. However, by monitoring these critical measurements, you can save a big maintenance bill later.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
I am starting the SPC project at my facility. The only direction I have is to use "rainbow" charts. I am working on these charts but was wondering if anyone here has taken on such a task and how they completed it? I am using excel at the moment and asking for Minitab.
Thanks!
Hi, Mary. The only suggestion I'd make is that you be absolutely sure what problem it is you are trying to fix. It is very easy to go a long way down the 'use "rainbow" charts' road without knowing exactly where you are trying to get to.

The question I'd go back with is: 'What do you want SPC for and how will I know when it has given you what you need?'

G

Grimaskr

I agree with all of the above, but will add my own subject to really look at: scope.

Before you actually start, try to imagine the end goal of your SPC implementation project and get a realistic feel for how big the scope is going to be.
  • Will you be doing SPC on process inputs (like machine temperatures, pressures, speeds)?
  • Will you being doing SPC on outputs (dimensions of fabricated parts, functional testing on parts)?
  • How many inputs/outputs do you think you might need in your organization?
  • How will you get the measurements into a computer and what might be some of the problems/restraints based on resources and formats?
  • Are your measurement systems good enough to even use for SPC (e.g., might be good enough to tell the difference between good/bad parts, but not good enough to zoom in further)?
  • Who will have the expertise to analyze these charts?
  • Will you expect production to react live to out of control situations?
  • How many Western Electric rules do you plan to use and react to on the production floor? And will your staff need training?
Thinking about these kinds of questions up front can really help your planning for rolling SPC implementation out in a successful manner.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Here are the steps I recommend:

1. Develop the total variance equation
2. Determine which variance factors are adjustable, which are noise, and which can be set as a constant.
3. Minimize the variation of each of the participating variables - get the process in a steady state and capable.
4. Accurately determine the correct distribution of each of the remaining variances
5. Determine which of the remaining adjustable variance factors you are going to chart
6. Pick the correct chart to evaluate each of those variance factors (variables)

stevegyro

Involved In Discussions
Mary, 'Grimaskr' above has really defined very well, what most 'management teams' have a challenge with. Best regards. Pls. Keep us posted ;-)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How to Start SPC in a Shaft Grinding Section Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K How to start Implement SPC for Injection Molding Process? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
V How can I start explaining and training SPC in my company? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
mike10 QMS Update - Rev. up or start over? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N China - Start manufacturing before change approval? China Medical Device Regulations 1
S How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Implementing ISO 20000-1 - Where to start Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
T CE mark start date for a device EU Medical Device Regulations 7
qualprod Statistics - Where to start in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
G Start and main steps of API Q1 Certification Process Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
H Transferring an ISO 13485 certificate to a new CB - Do I have to start from scratch? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
TheMightyWife Can not start Personal Conversations Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 18
E Is it possible to start an ISO 9001 QMS from scratch (Really) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
M How do you start a calibration/anything company? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
E ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
B Gap analysis of new start-up company technical documentation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
qualprod How to start with Lean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R QMS and ISO - Where to start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
S ISO 17025 - Help in Getting accreditation- Where to start from ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
H Need to Start an R&D Laboratory, what to do? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
O Start Up Approval Dimension Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V Product Development - When to start calculating Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Moncia Design FMEA - Where to Start FMEA and Control Plans 20
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
A Start Up of a small AS9100 Machine Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P CA,PA, Continual Improvement - How to start in a Service Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
P Where to start to helping other companies to get ISO IEC 27000? Consultants and Consulting 1
A How best to start revising an existing ISO 9001:2008 system in a company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M APQP and PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start? APQP and PPAP 48
M Start New Machine Shop OR BUY Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 9
K Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning - Where to start? Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 19
Hershal ILAC is preparing to start the possible revision to ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S How do I start "Risk Management" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
L Where to Start to Completely overhaul a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Which ASQ Certification should I start with? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
A Start Compliance to RoHS, SCHV and REACH RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
M Where to start Maintenance Function Kaizen Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
J ISO 13485 and ISO9001 Quality Management Implementation Start ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A ISO 9001 to ISO 17025 where to start ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
J Major Nonconformance on Stage 2 Audit causes to start over Stage 1? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M General Guidelines on how to start a Quality Campaign Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
P Alternative Procedures to DOA: How to start? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
S Measuring Multiple Start ID/OD Threads Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1